HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
United States, NY, Jamestown
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Discussion
Tribute to Ohio Combat

This is my Ohio Combat Battleaxx. Its a 58 inch rock solid stable wing from Jeremy's stable. It is without a doubt my favorite wing. It has flown in 25 mile winds, it floats like a glider, and has flown so fast that it induced flutter and folded in mid air. This accident happened over a yr ago, and I replaced the original carbon rod center spar with a carbon fiber I-beam, and it was rock solid till last NEAT fair when I crashed it and rebroke the ibeam spar. I recently replaced it, and the extra covering you see on the pic is to cover the surgery.

I currently have a HET 2W-25 which is rated at 1100 watts on 6cells. I run two 3cell 2200 in parrallel. I used to run a single 2200 3 cell. I will run for over 20 mins with conservative throttle management, since as I said earlier, it just floats. On my wattmeter it runs at approx 550 watts.

I have two 1800 4 cells, but I'm a bit afraid to fly it. Out of a dive it just moves so fast I do not want it to flutter again. I'm just now realizing that the motor I have is way overkill.

To satisfy my speed needs Jeremy sent me the ultimate Ohio Combat Sledgehammer. Its a 42 inch version of Jeremy's wings with proprietary airfoil. It has a 2W-30 which is rated at 1600 Watts!!!! on 8 cells. I am running two 5000 2cell batteries in series for 4 cells and tested it. Wattmeter says 780 watts. I will report when I get the guts to fly it.

I also have what many consider his ultimate rocket, the 36 inch Guillotine. One is pending build for 4cells, on a HET-? short can, but on it I have 800Watts. That will not be built for a while.

I have pending a 98 inch 4 panel Queen bee killer perfect for FPV, though no plans to use it for that at this time.

Jeremy is moving on to better things which will forthcoming. His customer service has always been impecable, and the price is unbeatable. Not sure what he has left in stock if any.

I will post pics of my other Ohio Combat wings soon.
galognu is offline Find More Posts by galognu
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Other wings

I'm placing pics of the speed monster, the Sledge.

There is the pic of the unfinished Guillotine, as well as a ducted fan guillotine needing a little TLC.

The unfinished large wing is a Titan from crash test hobbies, and the composite is a slope wing from Zupair.

The titan and Zupair deserve their own threads. The titan is still under construction.

The Zupair is totally awesome sloper, and just getting the hang of it.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:11 PM
That's gonna leave a mark
USA, OR, McMinnville
Joined May 2006
82 Posts
84" Evo

this Jeremy's 84" made into a sloper. I like it alot! Wind about 20 Mph, see, my hat stayed on!!
84" NewbreedRC Slope Wing on Bald Butte in Oregon. (10 min 2 sec)

I built this the riteway, M-90 and Henry's weave. 5 Carbon spars (double A frame) 4 Cell Sub-C Rx pak (2000Mah) and Futaba 9350 digi servo's. 2 1/2 Elevons. Covered in Ultra-coat (5 different colors) + 5 mil NewStuff on the Bottom. AUW about 6 LBs. give or take a little, This baby is tough enough to DS. MMMM---might have to drive down the coast and try it!!!!
caliber305 is offline Find More Posts by caliber305
Last edited by caliber305; Sep 06, 2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Details
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Wow!!

Now that is some wind!!!

Can't wait for mine, though mine will be powered.

I am in the middle of building a guillotine for slope.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:31 PM
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Flew both the battleaxx and sledge today. The sledge has an implanted eagle tree systems airspeed indicator. Since this was my first flight, I did not push it all the way. NO high speed dives, mostly flat runs after trimming it, and then landed it. It went 138mph!!!! Still only on 4 cells!!

The wierd thing is that it seemed to me the battleaxx may have been faster!!!.

Will need to video and get dopler readings.

Its says something for Jeremy's airfoil to perform so well at speed, and on the slope.

Be on the lookout for the next generation.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 02:17 PM
I just want to fly.
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Jan 2002
814 Posts
Ok. I did a search for anything concerning an "Ohio combat wing", and was unable to find much info. So I was curious about where I would go to get more info, and maybe even possibly buy one of these Ohio combat wings.
sapok is offline Find More Posts by sapok
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:22 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
Thanks,Galo for the update.

Since I started the new job,I have been working hard to get things in order.The company develops one off robotic systems. I am the only painter and in my down time I am machining,fabricating as well as onsite installation.
When I started they gave me a Harbor freight HVLP gun and told me if I wanted anything different it would be my expense. I recently purchased two HVLP Devilbiss guns ,which as anyone who knows paint there is a huge difference between the two.
I have access to a lot of mills and welders and can use them after hrs. This should make building my machines a little easier.

I haven't been on line or messing with foam. I have been working on the design of my CNC mill and resourcing the components.

I haven't decided when ,but I will bring back the foam kits. The switch to composites requires most of my time and focus to get it up and going. Once the mill is up I will be finishing my foam machine. Since it's always been pretty much me working 18+ hour days ,I will be designing the machine to cut multiple kits at one time.

Sapok,I do have quite a few kits on hand as well as the components for kits. I'm just not selling them full time. I stopped so I would have them on hand for previous customers.

Caliber305,Glad you like the 84in. I have sent out a lot of slope kits over the past 10yrs. I was hoping to see this particular wing,thanks. The funny part of this is that the 84in. EVO has the same airfoil as the OhioCombat line and is capable of 150+ mph. It's gliding ability at high wing loadings make it a natural glider.The airfoil is one of the things I am most proud of when it comes to what I have designed. Thanks for sharing the video,and very glad you are happy with the wing.

Jeremy
grumman5277 is offline Find More Posts by grumman5277
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
new speed

Well the sledge hit a new record today. Light 7 knot winds.

Took it up and out of a dive it hit 168!!! That's on 4 cells!!

Will get video at some point.