HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
There is one thing that is going to get used to which I am adjusting to is in slow flight like landing it quits flying. My 87" SHP does no do this and will glide a lot more than this. I am not talking about harrier flight which I like with this plane very little wing rock. Unless I am carrying some power when I flair there is no balloon up it just sinks. Nice landings carrying some power though.
I've noticed the same thing with mine. Totally normal until a couple feet off the ground, then it just sinks. It's definitely better with a touch of throttle right as I get a about 10' off the runway, but it's not intuitive for me, as my other planes, like you say, are usually floaty. Lightening up my weight helped a little, but not a lot. Because of this, I have beefed up the stock landing gear with some carbon fiber tape CA'ed along the whole inside of the LG and around the bottom, so the axle area is reinforced on both sides.
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,587 Posts
I notice the same habit. If like me you've been used to flying Edges it is something you need to adapt to, otherwise ugly landings result.
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
Old Jul 28, 2012, 03:14 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
4,841 Posts
Well thanks guys as I was wondering if I had something set up wrong. It is something I started adjusting to but have to think about it.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
4,841 Posts
I was sharing some PM's with Doc Austion and he had something interesting to share on the landings and that is to add a throttle to elevator mix on low throttle putting in some down elevator. Here is his blog on it
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,070 Posts
Quote:
I was sharing some PM's with Doc Austion and he had something interesting to share on the landings and that is to add a throttle to elevator mix on low throttle putting in some down elevator. Here is his blog on it
That is a good mix to use. Especially since a properly setup plane will pull slightly to the canopy on a no power down line. The down elevator mixed in with the low throttle can also straighten out the down lines as well as helping out with landing.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
4,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
That is a good mix to use. Especially since a properly setup plane will pull slightly to the canopy on a no power down line. The down elevator mixed in with the low throttle can also straighten out the down lines as well as helping out with landing.
During our conversation Doc also mentioned the straightening out the down lines a win win. I just programmed it in for 1 trim unit and I have it on a switch so I will try it on some high glide to see. If all goes well it should having you use stick pressures on landing more like a sport plane.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 05:47 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
I'm going to program this in just for low rates to see how it works. Is there any sense in having this on high rates too?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:07 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
4,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
I'm going to program this in just for low rates to see how it works. Is there any sense in having this on high rates too?
I assigned mine to another switch so it works both low and high
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
That tip sounds good. I'll give it a shot. The video on that blog is another thing all together, makes it clear I have a long way to go....
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:34 PM
Landing, HEY, I got it!!!!!
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifraf View Post
That tip sounds good. I'll give it a shot. The video on that blog is another thing all together, makes it clear I have a long way to go....
+1 Doc can push a plane pretty hard sometimes. He has also been flying for quite some time. That mix sounds practical and may help some. I've been working on Ben's method a little and it seems to work well for me.

I turn final about 100 to 150 yards out, about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle and give the elevator a slight push to get down about fence level.(I'm landing over a barbed wire fence at the property line) Back the throttle off to 1/8 and let the plane descend for about 50 yards. When it is less than a foot off the ground I chop power and it settles right in. Roll out is about 10 feet. Like Ben said, "a stable approach". At 1/8 throttle, the plane is losing altitude but at a rate that puts me on the runway where I want to be. I fly off of Blackland that cracks and dips very bad. Even a slightly "rough" landing tears planes up. I've just learned how to smooth things out in the past week so I'm no expert but getting a little better each time.

Jeff
jcfab is offline Find More Posts by jcfab
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:04 AM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
4,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifraf View Post
The video on that blog is another thing all together, makes it clear I have a long way to go....
Yea Docs videos are fun to watch for sure, he is out there.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
4,841 Posts
Got in 4 flights this morning at the crack of dawn to beat the heat right now and I tried the throttle to elevator mix and it worked fantastic. You hardly notice the pitch down and to be honest it just simply looks like and behaves like a sport plane on landing. First custom pmix I did on my new 8FG and it was pretty easy and nice to have the servo viewing window because you don't have to power up the plane even. I just verified what direction (number value) one click of down trim did and made the mix match that.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:54 PM
Landing, HEY, I got it!!!!!
U.S.A. Celina, TX
Joined Oct 2010
802 Posts
Ohio,

Glad that mix worked out for you. Finicky landings can really mess your head up. Not a whole lot of time to respond and if you don't it's kinda rough on airframes. Ask me how I know.

Jeff
jcfab is offline Find More Posts by jcfab
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
743 Posts
Just got passed 250 flights on my V2 SHP this weekend Never thought a plane of mine would last that long.

Side note: For landings I have been using Doc's landing mix. This weekend I used the Airbrake Mix in my Futaba to raise the ailerons slightly on a switch (my landing mix) and I took some down elevator out of the mix. Works great for landing my tail heavy SHP. I am using -5 (I started at -2). The nose doesn't ballon up very much and it's easier to stop the stall and plunk landing. I still have just a hair of down elevator.

Mike
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:45 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
4,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Just got passed 250 flights on my V2 SHP this weekend Never thought a plane of mine would last that long.

Side note: For landings I have been using Doc's landing mix. This weekend I used the Airbrake Mix in my Futaba to raise the ailerons slightly on a switch (my landing mix) and I took some down elevator out of the mix. Works great for landing my tail heavy SHP. I am using -5 (I started at -2). The nose doesn't ballon up very much and it's easier to stop the stall and plunk landing. I still have just a hair of down elevator.

Mike
Congrats on the milestone, I hope I can say the same someday. Is there anything written up on the airbrake mix?