HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:57 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnikee View Post
Why would you bash Doc Austin? He wrote the thread, took the time to put up a lot of GREAT information about the plane, and always has time to answer questions. He flies Extreme Flight now, so he probably wants to talk about the planes he's flying now. What's the point of bashing someone for that?

If you've ever talked to him, Doc is a great guy who always has time to answer a question of offer up advice. I've asked him some of the dumbest questions that are probably common sense to any seasoned pilot, and he has always taken the time to walk me through all of my questions, just as he would with anyone else. He's helped me become a much better pilot through his threads and videos on here, along with the time he's taken to talk me through any issues I've had.

I'm not trying to start anything with anyone on here, but at the same time I think it is childish to trash someone because he decided to stop a thread that he started. It's his work. He put the time in. He's left it posted so you can still get the information from it, so I don't understand what complaint anyone could have.
Nobody was actually bashing him. But he hasn't participated in the thread in months, so it was a choice of his to interrupt the SHP discussion thread by closing it. Whatever, it's completely nonsensical posturing.

Anyways, this thread will serve the SHP just fine. There will probably be another page or so talking about why the thread was restarted, but from there it'll go back to normal...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:10 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
To get the thread going (ish), I will say this plane is awesome! Over 150 flights and plenty of harrier touch and gos (don't judge me!) my landing gear is starting to look pretty bad. Through the help on this forum I've found wrapping the gear legs in Spider Wire fishing line and soaking it in thin CA has been indestructible!

Anyone else please feel free to chime in with your tips for the SHP!
94'325is is offline Find More Posts by 94'325is
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:12 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Oh forgot, one other tip.

When using the metal wing bolts, make sure to check them EVERY flight. Mine have gotten loose and I've lost a wing twice. One good way of preventing that and still keeping them easily removable is to cut a small disk of sandpaper and put it on the wingbolt. It stops them from coming loose but it's not as permanent as Loktite.
94'325is is offline Find More Posts by 94'325is
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:18 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Anyone use ball links on their Shp? I was thinking of trying some on the ailerons. I would like to get 45 degrees of throw and I seem to get binding around 40 degrees. The attachment of the rod to the servo horn has no flex they way it was setup when I got it. I tried moving it to the inside of the horn but that dinn't help much. What size ball link would be sufficient for this application? I plan to make my own one sided ball link with threaded music wire. I'll have a Z bend in the one side to attach to the aileron horn as it is now and the ball link on the servo side for flexibility. Thanks, Tom
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:25 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94'325is View Post
Oh forgot, one other tip.

When using the metal wing bolts, make sure to check them EVERY flight. Mine have gotten loose and I've lost a wing twice. One good way of preventing that and still keeping them easily removable is to cut a small disk of sandpaper and put it on the wingbolt. It stops them from coming loose but it's not as permanent as Loktite.
sand paper is a pretty cool idea... the latest thing I'm using to stop easy-access bolts from backing out is bonded washers, they're really quite awesome. I have a set on the wing bolts of my 103 and have plans to do the same for my other planes.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:27 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Anyone use ball links on their Shp? I was thinking of trying some on the ailerons. I would like to get 45 degrees of throw and I seem to get binding around 40 degrees. The attachment of the rod to the servo horn has no flex they way it was setup when I got it. I tried moving it to the inside of the horn but that dinn't help much. What size ball link would be sufficient for this application? I plan to make my own one sided ball link with threaded music wire. I'll have a Z bend in the one side to attach to the aileron horn as it is now and the ball link on the servo side for flexibility. Thanks, Tom
I'd be replicating the ball link that is on the control surface side of the wire. will take replacing the pushrod in some way as obviously the stock rod isn't threaded to add the link...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:14 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
There is no ball link on the control surface side it is a Z bend. The Z bend seem to be able to pivot just fine but the end I posted in the pic seems to be where the bind is. I was just thinking maybe a ball link in its place would pivot better. The pic I posted is after I put it on the inside of the horn. It was originally on the other side. This pic is blurry but shows the whole linkage. There isn't a bind when the aileron goes down just when it is all the way up. With the servo horn removed it moves freely from bevel to bevel. I'm just trying to get a little more throw so I don't have to hold as much aileron in hover. What size ball links do you guys use on this sized plane? Thanks, Tom
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:24 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
ah, z-bend, my bad. the ball links are like those used on 500 class helis. I'd need to check up on the size...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:37 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. I was running the stock hs65mg arms but recently installed some larger CF ones. I was running 140% out of 150% on the throw where I am at around 100% for the same throw but there is still the binding sound. I believe its caused by the ez-link trying to flex as the control surface horn pulls it off the plane of the servo arm if that makes any sense. I'll make up something with a ball link end and see if it cures my issue. I have no problem getting the recommended throw from the manual but was looking for a little more. Thanks for the input.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:13 AM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
There is no ball link on the control surface side it is a Z bend. The Z bend seem to be able to pivot just fine but the end I posted in the pic seems to be where the bind is. I was just thinking maybe a ball link in its place would pivot better. The pic I posted is after I put it on the inside of the horn. It was originally on the other side. This pic is blurry but shows the whole linkage. There isn't a bind when the aileron goes down just when it is all the way up. With the servo horn removed it moves freely from bevel to bevel. I'm just trying to get a little more throw so I don't have to hold as much aileron in hover. What size ball links do you guys use on this sized plane? Thanks, Tom
I would think 2-56 ball links would be more than adequate for this plane.
SnowDog1974 is offline Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:18 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
Any word yet on 3DHS or their dealers getting in some new SHP ARF kits?

I wrecked my beloved SHP a month or so ago and am patiently waiting for another ARF kit.

Thanks....
it's still going to be a little while
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:49 AM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
I have 325 flights on my Yellow SHP V2 having owned it since May 2008. It has lots of wear and minor crash damage. I've gone through several sets of landing gear and some other spare part items. About a month ago I purchased the Blue SHP V3. My plan is to get more daring with this yellow SHP and if I happen to tear it up too bad then I will just have to start flying the new one. But, for now, the Yellow SHP still flys.

I just have so much to learn. I need to get my hovers closer and lower and get to work on other low stuff. I do look forward to flying this V3. If the yellow survives this season I will go ahead and get the V3 ready for next season.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:10 AM
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Sep 2010
368 Posts
what size prop is everyone runningk is a 13x6.5 too much?
collinss is offline Find More Posts by collinss
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:33 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinss View Post
what size prop is everyone runningk is a 13x6.5 too much?
If your running one of the recommended power setups then 13x6.5 seems to be the popular choice.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:45 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,877 Posts
My two SHP's are beefed up a little more than some people thought was needed on the last SHP thread. But I used 2-56 ball links and threaded push rods on all control surfaces, added two .06 carbon fiber struts to reinforce each side of the flat stab against the possibility of flutter in maneuvers like high speed blenders, and I did seal the hinges. Again, a few of the 3DHS guys said this was not needed either. Both planes have the Omega 103g on 3S 2200's and swing a 13x6.5 at 460 Watts, and one has been put through the wringer since last October. I have no second thoughts about a full throttle lomcevak (video on the last thread) with the beefy setup (pictures on the last thread) and the plane still comes in at 46.4 oz. I also used a separate BEC to assure 6V to my servos. I have seven different airframes of this size from the three main brands, and although I now have other favorites, it is still hard to leave the SHP home when I go to the field. It definitely has a place in all 3D enthusiasts’ hangar. SHP = Fly + Enjoy + Learn.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aeroplayin; Aug 31, 2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: 460W not 480W