HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:31 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Slop in the servos or bad centering are possible candidates? I had a similar problem with another plane that went away when I swapped the aileron servos out.
I don't think so, it is only to the right when inverted. Never a problem right side up. I will add a few degrees of down thrust and recheck this weekend. One thing I did notice is I had to add noticeable left aileron trim..maybe 1/8th inch...to get level flight. This does bother me. Maybe a slight wing warp. I will check incidences tonight.
Da Big_G is online now Find More Posts by Da Big_G
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:33 AM
USA, AK, Anchorage
Joined Nov 2005
483 Posts
How even is your elevator? Either mine wasn't straight when I glued it or the horizontal stab is twisted. I have figured it out yet but I've only flown mine twice anyways. It had some aileron trim required to
olds455 is offline Find More Posts by olds455
Last edited by olds455; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:39 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds455 View Post
How even is your elevator? Either mine wasn't straight when I glued it or the horizontal stab is twisted. I have figured it out yet but I've only flown mine twice anyways. It had some aileron grin required to
The elevator is off by a degree or two, I bought this plane used. I don't think this is the cause of the roll, but maybe someday I'll cut her up and fix it. I've got 2 other N.I.B. SHP's that I will build straight.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:49 PM
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2004
235 Posts
Crash

Messed up post
rcfun33 is offline Find More Posts by rcfun33
Last edited by rcfun33; Dec 04, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:50 PM
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2004
235 Posts
Crash

So I tried to fly this weekend. I did my normal range check and all seemed to work fine. I gave some up elevator and took off from a dry lake bed. Shortly after takeoff it was obvious my elevator was stuck in an up position. I had full control of my rudder, ailerons and throttle, but the elevator was stuck. I could sort of control it, but too much throttle and it would just loop, too little throttle and it would want to stall.

After a couple of minutes of trying to get a grip on flying with the fixed elevator I decided to try to land. I tried to basically harrier it in, but I am not a very good 3D pilot and for some reason I have trouble with it tip stalling pretty hard when it stalls. So I was probably about 10 feet up and it stalled and I basically had no choice but to just shut it down.

The plane nosed in and broke the motor mount and cowl so I will have to see if I can order new ones and repair it.

The strange thing is that when I came up to the plane the elevator worked fine. While flying I had continued to try to work the elevator, but it never responded. I'm not sure what caused the elevator to have problems. I was flying off of dirt and I wondered if a pebble could have gotten stuck in the elevator, but it seems unlikely that it could have stayed stuck with me working the elevator up and down. The servos are HS-65MG and probably have less than a dozen flights on them and no crashes before now.

Any ideas of what could have happened?
Dave
rcfun33 is offline Find More Posts by rcfun33
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:41 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
I don't think so, it is only to the right when inverted. Never a problem right side up. I will add a few degrees of down thrust and recheck this weekend. One thing I did notice is I had to add noticeable left aileron trim..maybe 1/8th inch...to get level flight. This does bother me. Maybe a slight wing warp. I will check incidences tonight.
Yup that's precisely the issue I had. Upright no roll. Inverted a slow roll in one direction. It went away when I replaced the servos, but I cannot confirm that this was the reason.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:38 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfun33 View Post
So I tried to fly this weekend. I did my normal range check and all seemed to work fine. I gave some up elevator and took off from a dry lake bed. Shortly after takeoff it was obvious my elevator was stuck in an up position. I had full control of my rudder, ailerons and throttle, but the elevator was stuck. I could sort of control it, but too much throttle and it would just loop, too little throttle and it would want to stall.

After a couple of minutes of trying to get a grip on flying with the fixed elevator I decided to try to land. I tried to basically harrier it in, but I am not a very good 3D pilot and for some reason I have trouble with it tip stalling pretty hard when it stalls. So I was probably about 10 feet up and it stalled and I basically had no choice but to just shut it down.

The plane nosed in and broke the motor mount and cowl so I will have to see if I can order new ones and repair it.

The strange thing is that when I came up to the plane the elevator worked fine. While flying I had continued to try to work the elevator, but it never responded. I'm not sure what caused the elevator to have problems. I was flying off of dirt and I wondered if a pebble could have gotten stuck in the elevator, but it seems unlikely that it could have stayed stuck with me working the elevator up and down. The servos are HS-65MG and probably have less than a dozen flights on them and no crashes before now.

Any ideas of what could have happened?
Dave
My guess is there is something wrong with the servo. I would sent it back to hitec and see what they say. as for it not doing anything on the ground that is more thank likely due to there being no load on it.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Nov 2012
19 Posts
Well I took my Extra out for a few flights this morning after finally getting around to changing out the bent prop adapter. She few great besides my rudder sticking. I think where the pull-pull wires attach to the servo horn is to tight and not rotating freely. Did my first KE spin, and 10+ more to follow it. Flies soooo much different than my 48 inch foamie so I'm a little cautious doing low flying. Haven't quite got the hang of inverted harriers on it yet too.

So it few great, but landing it was a real PITA. Not matter what I tried I couldn't stop it from tipping over nose first in the field that I'm flying in. The ground isn't exactly smooth. I put some new 2.5 inch wheels on it but I don't think they made a difference. I'm starting to think I need to make a hybrid ski/wheel combo. Putting a ski over the wheel and having maybe 1/16th of an inch of the bottom of the wheel poking through it. It'll add some weight but as long as I get it close to what the wheel pants weight I should be good. I'm open to suggestions though.
JamesFM is offline Find More Posts by JamesFM
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:58 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFM View Post
So it few great, but landing it was a real PITA. Not matter what I tried I couldn't stop it from tipping over nose first in the field that I'm flying in. The ground isn't exactly smooth. I put some new 2.5 inch wheels on it but I don't think they made a difference. I'm starting to think I need to make a hybrid ski/wheel combo. Putting a ski over the wheel and having maybe 1/16th of an inch of the bottom of the wheel poking through it. It'll add some weight but as long as I get it close to what the wheel pants weight I should be good. I'm open to suggestions though.
With my buck huck on grass, I found that taking off the non-stock big wheels and replacing them with the stock wheels AND pants made it land better. The pants act as skis/skids, they slide over clumps of grass instead of the wheels bumping and rolling over them. They pants are designed to do that. I think people make the mistake of thinking they will cause problems but instead they improve things.

As far as tipping over, it sounds like a no brainer and rather obvious, but if you hold full elevator after you touch down and stay on it until the plane stops it shouldn't tip over. I hadn't flown in a couple of weeks and I was tipping over on touch down, couldn't figure out why my landings sucked, I didn't even realize I was letting go of the elevator, DUH!
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:24 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
539 Posts
FYI motor data

Flew the SHP for the second outing Thursday. I was not impressed with the punch-out of the omega 130g. Pulled some data tonight.

With an APC 13-6.5 prop. (33 grams)

42 amps
4lbs./6oz. thrust
466 watts
169 watts/lb.

With Hobby King APC "style" 14-7 prop. (28 grams)

52 amps
4lbs./11 oz. thrust
577 watts
209 watts/lb.

Battery: Hobby King Turnigy 3S, 2200ma., 35-45C
Unloaded voltage: 4.04 volts/cell
ESC: Thunderbird 54

RTF plane weight: 44oz.

This should yield positive results. I'll find out tomorrow.
On a side note: I added some spoilerons (-5 for now) on the retract switch to help with landing. I can harrier land it, but I am old school and want to land it traditionally, if possible.
Last edited by Da Big_G; Dec 07, 2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Typo on battery data
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:27 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Flew the SHP for the second outing Thursday. I was not impressed with the punch-out of the omega 130g. Pulled some data tonight.

With an APC 13-6.5 prop. (33 grams)

42 amps
4lbs./6oz. thrust
466 watts
169 watts/lb.

With Hobby King APC "style" 14-7 prop. (28 grams)

52 amps
4lbs./11 oz. thrust
577 watts
209 watts/lb.

Battery: Hobby King Turnigy 4S, 2200ma., 35-45C
Unloaded voltage: 4.04 volts/cell
ESC: Thunderbird 54

RTF plane weight: 44oz.

This should yield positive results. I'll find out tomorrow.
On a side note: I added some spoilerons (-5 for now) on the retract switch to help with landing. I can harrier land it, but I am old school and want to land it traditionally, if possible.
omega 130g on 4s and a 14x7 will burn up the motor
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:37 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
omega 130g on 4s and a 14x7 will burn up the motor
Yes it will.. 3 series..11.1 volts...my bad.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:58 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,397 Posts
Quote:
Yes it will.. 3 series..11.1 volts...my bad.
good, just making sure
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:04 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,248 Posts
Anyone looking for a deal on a Omega 130g motor? This was all bought the end of Sept and only has 128 flights on it. The motor never was crashed and in fact never had a broken prop with it. I am moving up in size.

Omega 130g motor, Extreme Flight Airboss 45A ESC, and 4 Falcon props (2 used and 2 new in the packaging 2 ea. 13x6.5 and 14x7)

New $205 will sell shipped in the conus $110
Goes to the first
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:23 AM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,295 Posts
Well got started on my blue shp.
Name: IMG_1952.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 230.1 KB