HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
Team Hillbilly
tominator06's Avatar
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
With only 750kv I would imagine you will be fine with the 12x8. I would recommend trying a 13x6.5 . I think the 12x6 will be underpowered @ 750kv on 3s. 12x6 might be good for 4s
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:25 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Is that a V1 SHP, original scheme?


I would be very cautious of 4S with the flat H-Stab.
Rob at ADCHobby said this was a V2.

I'm not sure it needs 4S...I think with the right prop it will totally rock just on 3S. What does the flat Hstab have to do with 4S? Too much speed?
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:33 PM
Landings are not optional
DeuceTrinal's Avatar
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Yeah, flat H-stabs typically aren't as strong, and are more susceptible to flutter. That said, I run mine on a Hacker A30-16m (1060 KV) on 3S 50C packs, at over 600W. I fly a 13x6.5, so the top speed isn't great, maybe 50-60 mph level, but it has amazing pull. I hammer the plane, and it is super strong.
With a 750 KV motor, I'd think you'd want to try a 14x7 (not a wood one) on 3S. The torque and gyroscopic effects will be pretty strong, but that can be fun. A 13x6.5 would yield a good mix of power and duration, I'd try that if you don't feel like you need more power. I really like having a lot of thrust, it makes low recoveries so much easier, and I can fly lower and harder knowing I can recover with power.

I'd keep it light if you go 4S, use 1800's or something, don't add weight over a 3S setup.
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:40 PM
Team Hillbilly
tominator06's Avatar
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Yeah I bet the 14x7 would be good on 3s. I think you should have enough ground clearance as well. 3s seems plenty for this plane. Just have to the right prop combination for your motor and flying style.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:51 PM
ADC Vinyl
Fliprob17's Avatar
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
no need for 4s

on a 750 kv, I would try a 14x7 for any sort of decent 3s power....it's not really an optimum 3s kv....900-1100 is a little better
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:35 AM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
no need for 4s

on a 750 kv, I would try a 14x7 for any sort of decent 3s power....it's not really an optimum 3s kv....900-1100 is a little better
Hey Rob, good to hear from you again. I'll try the 14x7E and see how that flies on 3S.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:03 PM
Mile High Pilot
milehighjc's Avatar
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Passed a "milestone" today... flight #100 on my Red V3.

On the positive side:
  • Plane has been more fun than should be legal
  • Only "crashed" once - a broken gear strut
  • Ive learned more flying skills by leaps and bounds with this airframe, especially recently while I was getting 4-7 flights in a day. I LOVE how it flies KE. Inverted elevators are just fun to watch. The thing will roll at insane rates, and snaps look and sound very cool.

On the negative side (if there even is one):
  • My true 3D skills have not progressed as fast as I wanted. Im sure thats not an airframe issue, but could be my setup. Or, maybe I just lack the natural talent
  • Im still not doing a lot of stuff beyond stall. I still cant really hover, or at least Im not brave enough to try down low. I can reliably hover for 3-5 seconds at about 75' up, but thats about it. I think PART of my problem is that I still dont have the long arms installed yet, so me ELE deflection is still pretty mild. But mostly, I really think I need an EPP foamy to learn the technique better.

In any case, its been a very enjoyable summer with my SHP. With any luck, Ill be out tomorrow to put another 6 or more flights on it.

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:02 AM
Stick banger
Ace4's Avatar
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc View Post
Im still not doing a lot of stuff beyond stall. I still cant really hover, or at least Im not brave enough to try down low. I can reliably hover for 3-5 seconds at about 75' up, but thats about it. I think PART of my problem is that I still dont have the long arms installed yet, so me ELE deflection is still pretty mild. But mostly, I really think I need an EPP foamy to learn the technique better.
It's much easier to hover lower on the small airframes than way up high, you can see what is going on a lot easier. Get yourself where you are comfortable bailing out of hovers up high, then keep trying them lower. Foamies will help, but they can also be misleading. I can hover my EPP edge indefinitely, but sometimes I get behind on my SHP in a hover and it falls out.

You don't need the long arms for full deflection, assuming you can max out the end points on your radio beyond 100%. If you are doing inverted elevators it sounds like you have enough deflection, especially for hovering.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:25 AM
Mile High Pilot
milehighjc's Avatar
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
It's much easier to hover lower on the small airframes than way up high, you can see what is going on a lot easier. Get yourself where you are comfortable bailing out of hovers up high, then keep trying them lower. Foamies will help, but they can also be misleading. I can hover my EPP edge indefinitely, but sometimes I get behind on my SHP in a hover and it falls out.

You don't need the long arms for full deflection, assuming you can max out the end points on your radio beyond 100%. If you are doing inverted elevators it sounds like you have enough deflection, especially for hovering.
Thanks Ace... Ive been thinking about the bail out technique, working on it up high does have the effect of letting me be "lazy" about bailing out (and I am).

RE: the long arms, learning that I could do inverted elevators was kind of a happy accident. I had been working on upright elevators, and and not had much luck, although admittedly, Ive not tried since I found that I could do inverted. Im using a DX6i - Ill go look at the end points. Im pretty sure Im maxed out. I started with the SHP using the Doc Austin "Sport" settings, and have been progressing into more aggressive throws over time.

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:30 AM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighjc View Post
Passed a "milestone" today... flight #100 on my Red V3.

On the positive side:
  • Plane has been more fun than should be legal
  • Only "crashed" once - a broken gear strut
  • Ive learned more flying skills by leaps and bounds with this airframe, especially recently while I was getting 4-7 flights in a day. I LOVE how it flies KE. Inverted elevators are just fun to watch. The thing will roll at insane rates, and snaps look and sound very cool.

On the negative side (if there even is one):
  • My true 3D skills have not progressed as fast as I wanted. Im sure thats not an airframe issue, but could be my setup. Or, maybe I just lack the natural talent
  • Im still not doing a lot of stuff beyond stall. I still cant really hover, or at least Im not brave enough to try down low. I can reliably hover for 3-5 seconds at about 75' up, but thats about it. I think PART of my problem is that I still dont have the long arms installed yet, so me ELE deflection is still pretty mild. But mostly, I really think I need an EPP foamy to learn the technique better.

In any case, its been a very enjoyable summer with my SHP. With any luck, Ill be out tomorrow to put another 6 or more flights on it.

jc
Good to hear from you; I've only got about 5 flights on my SHP and I'm enjoying it, but like you, I'm still doing stuff up high. Need more time on the sticks to get more comfortable with this plane. It is so floaty it is amazing...flies very differently than my Vyper, thats for sure!
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 06:55 PM
Mile High Pilot
milehighjc's Avatar
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
It's much easier to hover lower on the small airframes than way up high, you can see what is going on a lot easier. Get yourself where you are comfortable bailing out of hovers up high, then keep trying them lower. Foamies will help, but they can also be misleading. I can hover my EPP edge indefinitely, but sometimes I get behind on my SHP in a hover and it falls out.

You don't need the long arms for full deflection, assuming you can max out the end points on your radio beyond 100%. If you are doing inverted elevators it sounds like you have enough deflection, especially for hovering.
Guess I needed to keep closer track of where I was in my settings. Got to the field this evening, and figured I would see how much more ELE I could get on the radio. I was surprised to find that I had my high rates set to 66%! Didnt have time to remeasure everything, but cranked it up to 100%, and WOW, what a difference. While I was there I kicked the aileron up a bit more too.

Ill be checking on all the deflections - probably this weekend when I can take the time to get the bird on the bench and really triple check everything again.

Now it does upright elevators just fine, and inverted elevators are spectacular. Snaps are even more aggressive, which is saying something.

Time to learn some more good stuff!

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:19 AM
nov
Garage sale junkie
nov's Avatar
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
this thread has been quiet for too long! I have all my planes on a rack in my home office - so I get to look at them and look out the window on cold windy days But I will say this, that I have a blue v1 and the red v3 and I love this plane - always my go to first at the field before I fly any of my other 3dhs planes.
nov is online now Find More Posts by nov
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:43 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nov View Post
this thread has been quiet for too long! I have all my planes on a rack in my home office - so I get to look at them and look out the window on cold windy days But I will say this, that I have a blue v1 and the red v3 and I love this plane - always my go to first at the field before I fly any of my other 3dhs planes.
Yeah, my blue V2 rapidly became my "go to" plane...still trying different things like 3s vs 4s and different props and CG...it's just so easy to fly!

I was planning on taking it to the field this morning even though it is cold out, the winds were very calm...then it up and snowed last night...
I had to take care of issues around the house related to the snow and couldn't go flying afterall.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:54 AM
Mile High Pilot
milehighjc's Avatar
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Yeah, my blue V2 rapidly became my "go to" plane...still trying different things like 3s vs 4s and different props and CG...it's just so easy to fly!

I was planning on taking it to the field this morning even though it is cold out, the winds were very calm...then it up and snowed last night...
I had to take care of issues around the house related to the snow and couldn't go flying afterall.
Packs are charged, and the red V3 is ready to go. With any luck at all, will get at least 5 flights with it tomorrow morning.

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Registered User
Hav2fly's Avatar
United States, TX, Pflugerville
Joined Jan 2010
546 Posts
See the Blue/Silver SHP? I have 3 more in a box! Also have 1 NIB of the latest version in the blue/black. Picked them up at the 3DHS moving sale in Fredsrickburg. Not going to tell ya what I paid for them!

Shane


Hav2fly is offline Find More Posts by Hav2fly
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3DHS 47" Extra 300 SHP rdbell Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 Jul 29, 2013 11:39 PM
Sold 3DHS 47" Extra 300 SHP Red Brand New jdrennen03 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 03, 2011 01:11 PM
Wanted Looking for the 3DHS 47" Extra 300 SHP - Red GlockDoc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jul 16, 2011 02:14 PM
Wanted 3DHS Red Extra SHP v3 47" Cowl gms Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Apr 19, 2011 10:59 PM