Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:09 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
3DHSEdge41'r

FYI I packed up a 103g and a 50A ESC for you, will place it in the mail tomorrow morning.
Let me know what you decide to fly and how it goes.

Good luck with your adventures in flying and keep after those school and mission plans.
;-) Dale in AZ
Very nice! Makes me want to do a good deed and help someone out
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:48 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Last edited by skarface; Aug 22, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Jul 2011
142 Posts
Thanks SoarWest!
3dhsedge41er is offline Find More Posts by 3dhsedge41er
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Sure. For my 47" I have about 2-3 degrees of up for landing (measured inside as near the fuse as the aileron goes). I started out slow and worked my way to a comfortable angle. Lands sweet where I'm at. No funny business either, just makes it easier to keep the nose down and not balloon - which also prevents the stall.

For the actual radio setup - I cheat and use a futaba mix called Airbrake and it essentially let's me move any of my control surfaces up or down from center. I just moved the ailerons from 0 to -5.

Hope this helps.

Brownie
Brownie, I disabled my throttle to down trim and set up 3 of airbrake and wow does that ever help with the landings. Thanks for the suggestion. Flew 4 times this morning before work and every landing was a perfect float in with a soft touchdown with no stall tendency, amazing. I fly triple rates with the highest rate more travel than recommended on high and one landing I forgot to switch to a lower rate and it still landed nicely.
On a side note the 8FG is so sweet for setting this up, so easy to do. I also added in a speed option to it so the transition is about 1 second to deploy.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Any ideas how to get this up on a dx8. Think I can just add 3deg up aileron both sides on a switch. Is anything else mixed (elevator)?
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Brownie, I disabled my throttle to down trim and set up 3 of airbrake and wow does that ever help with the landings. Thanks for the suggestion. Flew 4 times this morning before work and every landing was a perfect float in with a soft touchdown with no stall tendency, amazing. I fly triple rates with the highest rate more travel than recommended on high and one landing I forgot to switch to a lower rate and it still landed nicely.
On a side note the 8FG is so sweet for setting this up, so easy to do. I also added in a speed option to it so the transition is about 1 second to deploy.
Awesome - glad to hear you like it

Your welcome. The awesome factor just went up on this plane
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
142 Posts
orders placed. Setup is omega 103 and 50 amp esc( thanks again soarwest) and Solar D654 servos and gforce 2200mah 30c batteries (3s) p.s It's Blue
3dhsedge41er is offline Find More Posts by 3dhsedge41er
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Any ideas how to get this up on a dx8. Think I can just add 3deg up aileron both sides on a switch. Is anything else mixed (elevator)?
Sorry I don't know the DX8, but I would think it could be a pretty simple mix on a switch. Maybe a Spektrum user can chime in.

I have a just a hair of down elevator still on my mix, but honestly I don't think it needs it. I am going to play with removing it (down elevator) when I'm out next.

3 degrees was where I ended up - "salt to taste" on this, different folks may like a bit different angle here, but I think 3 degrees up aileron is a good start.

Mike
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Thanks Mike, I'll give this a shot. I ordered an pricey14x7 carbon fiber prop, so I wanna keep it out of the dirt.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:27 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Awesome - glad to hear you like it

Your welcome. The awesome factor just went up on this plane
Definitely the awesome factor went up, so much better.
Dental the 8FG as mentioned has airbrake as a preset mix and thankfully it controls both of my aileron channels. But if no one jumps in from the Spektrum side I would look if you even have a flap mix. Then change your negative or positive movement to get them moving in unison in an upward 3 direction. I am guessing you can make flaps work but move them up not down.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:11 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Feel free to stop in and talk about this amazing flying plane.
http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread...t-Extra-300shp
we can talk about it right here
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Definitely the awesome factor went up, so much better.
Dental the 8FG as mentioned has airbrake as a preset mix and thankfully it controls both of my aileron channels. But if no one jumps in from the Spektrum side I would look if you even have a flap mix. Then change your negative or positive movement to get them moving in unison in an upward 3 direction. I am guessing you can make flaps work but move them up not down.
exactly what you do on a dx8, get into setup menu, select wing type, select flaparons, go back to the adjust menu and then to flaps and then select flap instead of inhibited and then use a negative number to adjust the ailerons up on position 1 and 2, you can also play with the elevator, but I don't know if it is needed
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:50 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
will this effectively do the same thing as an elevator to throttle mix? you're just trying to bring the airplane down when landing so it's less floaty, yes?
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
will this effectively do the same thing as an elevator to throttle mix? you're just trying to bring the airplane down when landing so it's less floaty, yes?
No they are two techniques to try to solve the same problem. By removing lift from the main wing (raising ailerons) you are allowing the plane to fly in for landing versus trying to force the nose down with elevator.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:38 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
I think it is way better that the throttle to elevator mix. I have about 20 flight on my SHP with that and while yes it does help with the stall of the wing this airbrake actually makes it feel a little more floaty on landing. It never seemed floaty with the thr-ele mix. That just helps prevent the stall. One of my landings this morning I was still on my highest of 3 rates (forgot to switch to low) about 3 feet high I started to slow it down with up elevator but not really intending a flair. Problem was it was on that high rate. It went up to 4' before I backed off and I expected it to stall and fall but it just kept on flying. It went another 15-20' before a nice soft landing. That just never happened before .