HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:09 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Do u think 65hb on ailerons will be okay with stock arms. Im pulling these from another build. Its not a big deal to pick up some 65mg if they make a difference.
I personally have no experience with 3DHS planes using the HB with their large control surfaces. I was just saying if you use them you can reduce the stress on them by not using the long arms and still get the recommended movement. The best solution however is the MG servos. Use MG for sure on elevator and rudder. If you have to buy a MG look at the Savox 0255 servo which is digital and metal gears for basically the same price. That is what I am moving into next. The Savox I put in my 87" Extra have been fantastic.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Order placed. Im going to try the 65hbs (since I have them) first and upgrade if needed. Now I have 3x gens 3s 2200, do you guys think these will okay or should I grab some 2500-2600 for better cg? I will be using a 130g w/ ice 50lite on a 14x7 apc.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:21 PM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
796 Posts
you should be fine
propchief is online now Find More Posts by propchief
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,286 Posts
you'll be fine and you can always upgrade the hs-65hb to mg by just swapping the gear set
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
SHP Awesomeness

man, got some flights in with this plane today (v3), it is my original 3d balsa wood plane, I never get bored of it, and it's so durable, I'm glad it was kept in production, I still have a brand new in the box v3, I bought it because I was certain I would turn this thing into popsicle sticks, It has sat in the box for a very long time, I'm kind of thinking about picking up a v4 because of the air-foiled tail feathers. Does the air-foiled vertical/horizontal stabs make that much of a difference over the v3? I know it helps with durability but does it fly that much better? It's gotta be hard to perfect perfection
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:52 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
I think longer arms would put more stress on the gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
I personally have no experience with 3DHS planes using the HB with their large control surfaces. I was just saying if you use them you can reduce the stress on them by not using the long arms and still get the recommended movement. The best solution however is the MG servos. Use MG for sure on elevator and rudder. If you have to buy a MG look at the Savox 0255 servo which is digital and metal gears for basically the same price. That is what I am moving into next. The Savox I put in my 87" Extra have been fantastic.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
I think longer arms would put more stress on the gear?
Thats what he said...thanks for the input guys. Looking forward to this airframe.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:33 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
I had the longer arms on the ailerons on mine and ended up taking them off due to blowback with the HS-65's. It's much, much better now with the stock arms. Plenty of throw and less blowback.
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
I had the longer arms on the ailerons on mine and ended up taking them off due to blowback with the HS-65's. It's much, much better now with the stock arms. Plenty of throw and less blowback.
+1, max out the endpoints and use the shortest arm possible.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
142 Posts
I am 15 and would like to buy this plane. I live in Idaho Falls and it is always windy here. (does this fly ok in the wind?) I have the bh and the only reason i am not buying th 1.5 bh is because of the landing gear. So, I was wondering if there was a cheaper setup. I know it won't fly as good, but my parents don't want me to blow all the money I earned this summer and want me to save for college and a mission for my church. So I want to know if I should just get the omega 130(best) or if there was a good sunnysky or gforce that i could use. Any experiance with either? I like to fly WOT on my bh and I am about 5000 asl. I would also like to find a cheaper alternative to the hitecs. I killed all of the hs45 in my bh.( ironically rudder was the last to go) and although they were replaced i would rather buy two extra cheaper servos for an instant fix. I would like to get a hk or hp esc for around $30-40 and I have a reciever (corona) any info and/or constructive criticsm would be nice. Also alternates to anything listed above from your experiance
3dhsedge41er is offline Find More Posts by 3dhsedge41er
Last edited by 3dhsedge41er; Aug 19, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: better wording
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,186 Posts
I've been wanting to try these servos. They have the same specs as a hitec 65mg http://twistedhobbys.com/Servo-TH-14...Servo-MG65.htm
There are also some solar servos from HP, but i'm not sure which ones are the ones you need.

The ZTW esc have proven to be a good esc for many folks and it's a reasonable price
http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW-50A-...ztw50asbec.htm

As far as motors i think that's one area i don't mess around with and either go with the recommended setup or a motrofly but i think those are more expensive. But someone else can hopefully chime in on the motor
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dhsedge41er View Post
I am 15 and would like to buy this plane. So, I was wondering if there was a cheaper setup. I know it won't fly as good, but my parents don't want me to blow all the money I earned this summer and want me to save for college and a mission for my church.
The Omega130 is a perfect motor for this plane and I would not skip it. A friend has put together a 3DHS 48" Edge 540 on a budget and later bought the 130 motor. He is very happy with everything else so you may want to look into a Hobbywing ESC and Solar as that is what he is using and quite happy with it. He has around 40 flights with it so I cant give you long term success. Good luck
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dhsedge41er View Post
I am 15 and would like to buy this plane. I live in Idaho Falls and it is always windy here. (does this fly ok in the wind?) I have the bh and the only reason i am not buying th 1.5 bh is because of the landing gear. So, I was wondering if there was a cheaper setup. I know it won't fly as good, but my parents don't want me to blow all the money I earned this summer and want me to save for college and a mission for my church. So I want to know if I should just get the omega 130(best) or if there was a good sunnysky or gforce that i could use. Any experiance with either? I like to fly WOT on my bh and I am about 5000 asl. I would also like to find a cheaper alternative to the hitecs. I killed all of the hs45 in my bh.( ironically rudder was the last to go) and although they were replaced i would rather buy two extra cheaper servos for an instant fix. I would like to get a hk or hp esc for around $30-40 and I have a reciever (corona) any info and/or constructive criticsm would be nice. Also alternates to anything listed above from your experiance
Here is my "economical" 48" Edge electronics. I haven't change anything in the plane other than the motor. Go with the Omega 130 if you can; bundle it with the ARF when you order and I think it saves you $10.

Servos:
Solar D654 for ailerons (direct drop in for servo opening)
Solar D658 for rudder (this is over-sized, servo opening needs to be enlarged)
PowerHD 2216 for elevator (direct drop in for servo opening)

ESC:
HobbyWing 60 Amp Opto

BEC
HobbyWing 3-5 Amp Switching Type

Motor:
Exceed RC Rocket 3015-840kv

Prop:
JXF 14X7 electric

Spinner
HK 1.5" plastic with AL backplate

LiPo's
3S 2200mAh 25C GensAce; 30C Gforce; 30C Glacier

The Rocket 3015-840 is not blistering fast but will pull this plane unlimited vertical. This motor is probably a little stronger than the Omega 103 but not as powerful as the Omega 130. The Omega 130 was not in stock anywhere when I ordered the Edge so I went with a Rocket. I"ve had good success with the Rocket motors in other builds and this one was working nicely for a $17 motor. 3DHS received new inventory on the Omega 130 so I ordered one and replaced the Rocket. The Omega 130 for sure has more power; the Rocket will serve as a backup.

The Solar servos are digital with metal gears. Right now there is no gear slop/lash; nice range of motion, speed from stop to stop is fast, they hold their deflected position, and return to center positions with out twitching or bounce. After 40 flights there have been no changes in performance. They will be a great value if the servos hold up over the long haul.

I've very pleased with the performance and flight characteristics of this setup. My 3D skills are limited but the plane has easily handled anything I'm able to do.
Capt. Roll is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Aug 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
770 Posts
Just an FYI on my experience with the HS65-HBs.

I have a V2 SHP with 268 flights on it. I have the original HBs on the ailerons and elevator, they are getting a little sloppy but not much. I had to replace the HB on the rudder at 154 flights when the wind picked my bird up off the runway and slammed it down. The rudder took a big hit and lunched the HB servo.

If you aren't banging the servos off the ground or in the car the HBs have been fine for me. Helped me with an already tailheavy bird.

Mike
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:34 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
3DHSEdge41'r

FYI I packed up a 103g and a 50A ESC for you, will place it in the mail tomorrow morning.
Let me know what you decide to fly and how it goes.

Good luck with your adventures in flying and keep after those school and mission plans.
;-) Dale in AZ
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest