SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:42 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Built my first 3DSH plane, the 47Ē Extra 300 SHP and had a maiden flight this weekend. All went well, itís trimmed nearly exactly neutral and is possibly tail heavy with the battery all the way forward. Inverted it flies level just as it does oriented normally and up. On takeoff I was expecting it to pull up and finally had to use elevator to lift it off the ground.

Iím a little disappointed in the power of the 103g with a 12x6 prop. I donít seem to have the quick responses I was expecting from watching other friends fly their 3DHS planes. I had expected the recommended setup to be a bit more, but perhaps itís not the motor, but another component such as the ESC or the prop?

In testing with a fresh 3S 2200mAH I get the following stats:
HK 40A ESC, 12x6 JXF poly composite prop; yields 42.4Amps peak, 473.2 watts peak

It takes a bit to spin up and I was expecting it to respond like an EPP foamy, maybe that is just how these larger planes are? If I upside the motor, perhaps the Motrofly 2815-950? They show 500 watts in their data with a 12x6 prop but thatís not much of a difference.

Suggestions for next steps are appreciated? My thinking is to let one of my friends who has several 3DHS planes give it a fly and see what he thinks, then look at the ESC or possibly prop, but my default guess is itís the engine.

Thanks for input, Dale
I would think about trying a 13x4 apc prop. That might be the sweet spot. Getting a better esc might also net good results. Get some video.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Jun 2010
43 Posts
SoarWest
Are you sure the esc isn't in heli, governer mode? #7 on the programing, 1st mode has a 5 sec delay to ramp up to full power if your using the Mystery/ HK esc.
scot88 is offline Find More Posts by scot88
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:50 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Iím a little disappointed in the power of the 103g with a 12x6 prop. I donít seem to have the quick responses I was expecting from watching other friends fly their 3DHS planes. I had expected the recommended setup to be a bit more, but perhaps itís not the motor, but another component such as the ESC or the prop?

In testing with a fresh 3S 2200mAH I get the following stats:
HK 40A ESC, 12x6 JXF poly composite prop; yields 42.4Amps peak, 473.2 watts peak

It takes a bit to spin up and I was expecting it to respond like an EPP foamy, maybe that is just how these larger planes are? If I upside the motor, perhaps the Motrofly 2815-950? They show 500 watts in their data with a 12x6 prop but thatís not much of a difference.
Try an APCe 13x6.5 or Xoar electric 13x6.5, it will really wake up the 103g. I see you are in Maricopa, if you would like send me a PM and I could meet you at a flying field somewhere this weekend. I think I have some spare 13x6.5 props you could try. The slow spool up sounds like an ESC setting. I have the Motrolfly 2815-950 in my SHP, it's a little more powerful than the 103g, but the difference is not earth shattering.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:50 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,018 Posts
I too strapped on the O130 14x7 combo after starting with the O103 13x6.5. Glad I did!
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
It looks like I'll upgrade to the Omega130, especially if it qualifies for this weekends sale?

Ace, I would be happy to say hello sometime and go flying. I have some great flying spots in Maricopa if you are in the area. I head out to the place referred to as Area 51 on occasion too. I have yet to try the Chandler Bowl with my 3DHS planes, but they should fly there too, and that's fairly close. I just worry putting batteries in my car during these hot days but it's cooling down soon. 120 in a hot car is likely very bad for my batteries!
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
After flying more this weekend. I just had to post how much I love landing with the aileron mix. It's way better than just down elevator. The landings were always a bit of a fight, I either got it nicely or it dropped onto the gear when the main wing stalled OR floated right on by me.

I raised the ailerons on a switch to kill some main wing lift and help keep the nose down for landing. Works awesome!!! Some guys with other tail heavy 3DHS birds are using it at the field now and love it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1424

Mike
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:06 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,327 Posts
What brand of 14x7 are you guys using? Right now I am using an APC but considering the Falcons when they are back in stock.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Brownie, about how much up aileron are you adding when you flip this switch? A few more setup details would be appreciated. And are you measuring at the inside or outside of the aileron and elevator etc.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:22 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
What brand of 14x7 are you guys using? Right now I am using an APC but considering the Falcons when they are back in stock.
Xoar electric beachwood. and I suggest the 13x6.5 prop for this bird with the 130 gram omaga.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:23 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
After flying more this weekend. I just had to post how much I love landing with the aileron mix. It's way better than just down elevator. The landings were always a bit of a fight, I either got it nicely or it dropped onto the gear when the main wing stalled OR floated right on by me.

I raised the ailerons on a switch to kill some main wing lift and help keep the nose down for landing. Works awesome!!! Some guys with other tail heavy 3DHS birds are using it at the field now and love it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1424

Mike
sounds like a spoileron mix?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Fareham
Joined Jun 2011
54 Posts
I have one of these on order now
St3v3 is offline Find More Posts by St3v3
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
In reference to my questions above concerning speed to spin up the motor, I replaced the ESC with new more expensive unit and now have the following numbers. This ESC does put out more power with the same battery, motor, prop combo, and does respond more like I was expecting. Interesting that the ESC could be the lagging piece here.

Omega 103g on 3DHS Extra47SHP, battery 2200mAh 3S, fresh charge for each test
Test w/HK 50A ESC and 12x6 JXF Poly; 42.4A peak; 473.2 watts peak
w/Turnigy AE 45A ESC and 12x6 JXF Poly; 47.5A peak; 529.5 watts peak

50 more watts from the same setup is better than a 10% increase in power by changing a single component. I'll fly it to verify but it feels better in static testing.
Last edited by SoarWest; Aug 15, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Brownie, about how much up aileron are you adding when you flip this switch? A few more setup details would be appreciated. And are you measuring at the inside or outside of the aileron and elevator etc.
Sure. For my 47" I have about 2-3 degrees of up for landing (measured inside as near the fuse as the aileron goes). I started out slow and worked my way to a comfortable angle. Lands sweet where I'm at. No funny business either, just makes it easier to keep the nose down and not balloon - which also prevents the stall.

For the actual radio setup - I cheat and use a futaba mix called Airbrake and it essentially let's me move any of my control surfaces up or down from center. I just moved the ailerons from 0 to -5.

Hope this helps.

Brownie
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
sounds like a spoileron mix?
Yep, that's the term I was looking for.

Just a note: Some consider adding up elevator for spoileron mix to go with the up aileron, but in my landing mix this is not the case. Up elevator makes it worse, so keep the elevator normal or slightly down for this to work well.

Brownie
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:11 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Sure. For my 47" I have about 2-3 degrees of up for landing (measured inside as near the fuse as the aileron goes). I started out slow and worked my way to a comfortable angle. Lands sweet where I'm at. No funny business either, just makes it easier to keep the nose down and not balloon - which also prevents the stall.

For the actual radio setup - I cheat and use a futaba mix called Airbrake and it essentially let's me move any of my control surfaces up or down from center. I just moved the ailerons from 0 to -5.

Hope this helps.

Brownie
I will have to try this when I get home to see if I like it better than the down elevator mix. Do you have it on a switch for to activate it or is it a throttle mix.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR