HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:54 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,343 Posts
I played around with some changes today all for the good.

In KE flight my SHP has a slight push to the gear and I mean slight. I tried moving CG but it never got rid of it. I have never used a KE mix before but it is so easy on the 8FG so I thought I would set it up to see if it could help. The results were amazing. I started at 5% which helped a lot, landed and bumped it to 7% and wow locked in. All I did was mix the elevator, the roll stays perfect as it is.

I also tried the 14x7 prop today and although not the best one out their I tried an APC. Punch out of a hover is still awesome (I love the 130 motor) but long vertical climbs like a blender setup was a little slower. I expected more torque roll in a hover but really did not notice any. The APC is definitely heavier than the wood Falcon I was using and to my surprise the battery had to go back 1-1/4". This made changing batteries a lot easier for sure and now am able to use two battery straps. Her was the big plus on the 14x7, I thought it landed much easier. The extra prop wash I guess but landings slowed down without the nose falling. I flew 4 flights this morning and all were greased in. Batteries came down with the same voltage left on 6 minutes as my 13x6.5.

Now I am wondering if performance wise the wood Falcon 14x7 might perform better than the APC. Has anyone compared the two?
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:20 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
So which is which, is the Xoar the 14x7 or 13x6.5?

Right now I am using a Falcon 13x6.5 wood prop. This has to be the lightest prop I have ever used. I could almost use the weight of the APC to move the battery back some but I love the instant rpm of it.
Actually it is a Xoar 14 x 6, tough to keep all these props straight. I want to try a Xoar 14 x 7 but it may be a little short on the times.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:22 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,535 Posts
Quote:
I played around with some changes today all for the good.

In KE flight my SHP has a slight push to the gear and I mean slight. I tried moving CG but it never got rid of it. I have never used a KE mix before but it is so easy on the 8FG so I thought I would set it up to see if it could help. The results were amazing. I started at 5% which helped a lot, landed and bumped it to 7% and wow locked in. All I did was mix the elevator, the roll stays perfect as it is.

I also tried the 14x7 prop today and although not the best one out their I tried an APC. Punch out of a hover is still awesome (I love the 130 motor) but long vertical climbs like a blender setup was a little slower. I expected more torque roll in a hover but really did not notice any. The APC is definitely heavier than the wood Falcon I was using and to my surprise the battery had to go back 1-1/4". This made changing batteries a lot easier for sure and now am able to use two battery straps. Her was the big plus on the 14x7, I thought it landed much easier. The extra prop wash I guess but landings slowed down without the nose falling. I flew 4 flights this morning and all were greased in. Batteries came down with the same voltage left on 6 minutes as my 13x6.5.

Now I am wondering if performance wise the wood Falcon 14x7 might perform better than the APC. Has anyone compared the two?
Yeah, the falcon seems faster and has more punch. Never ran the numbers. Just can tell the falcon is better
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:50 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,023 Posts
ADC Vinyl sale for the SHP

http://www.adchobbystore.com/ADC-Vin...ern_p_472.html
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:06 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
make sure you enter the code, those who are signed up for the newsletter received it

....I'll share for the "addicts" too - vinyl15 - enter in the "Apply Coupon" section at checkout

15% off any of the 3DHS vinyl packages
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
ADC's vinyl is simply the best. Rob did me a nice scaled down version of the wavy tattered American flag the same as their package from my 87" to match my 47" and it looks awesome. Nice job on this scheme too Rob.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:50 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
ADC's vinyl is simply the best. Rob did me a nice scaled down version of the wavy tattered American flag the same as their package from my 87" to match my 47" and it looks awesome. Nice job on this scheme too Rob.
thx, appreciate it!

that flag is now available on the WEBSITE
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:51 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
what prop are you guys running with the omega 103?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
what prop are you guys running with the omega 103?
APC 13x6.5
azlodaiel is offline Find More Posts by azlodaiel
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:58 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
make sure you enter the code, those who are signed up for the newsletter received it

....I'll share for the "addicts" too - vinyl15 - enter in the "Apply Coupon" section at checkout

15% off any of the 3DHS vinyl packages
Oh, well I will be signing up, did not know you had a newsletter.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:20 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
thx, appreciate it!

that flag is now available on the WEBSITE
Hey that's cool. The only thing different on the blue 47" is the verticle fin has more blue that my 87" and the lower 2 rows of stars can't be seen but All who see it love it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Well, still battling landing issues, cost me today. Wing stalled about 6' above the runway, someone was tending to a plane near there, so rather than risk a punch to save it, I plowed it. Damage isn't sever, mostly to the formers behind the servos. Wings, motor box, tail, all seem fine. I think it should be easily repairable. If I power in the landings, I it's hard to get down, if I try to float in, I stall. I've had no other plane that has behaved like this for landing. Perhaps I need to move my CG foward. We'll see.
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
don't chop the throttle, keep the prop. spinning around 10-20% throttle and bring it in a hair nose down or down elevator. You have to "bring" it down, otherwise it will float on by.

some add a down elevator to throttle mix to help with this until they get the feel.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,343 Posts
I am not having problems any longer but it does have a quit flying trait that you need to be aware of. Here are the things that helped for me. I thing the added mix of a little down elevator with the throttle back in idle really helped with an aft CG. A forward CG will help you probably with the landings but when I tried that it was not as good in 3D nor coupled in KE as well. Since then I went to a 14x7 prop and I think that has helped the landings provide more air over the surfaces I guess. Something I played around with is rates and no question this plane lands better on low rate, plus no full idle approaches. Keep a little power in.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:12 PM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,138 Posts
Little 47

Quote:
I am not having problems any longer but it does have a quit flying trait that you need to be aware of. Here are the things that helped for me. I thing the added mix of a little down elevator with the throttle back in idle really helped with an aft CG. A forward CG will help you probably with the landings but when I tried that it was not as good in 3D nor coupled in KE as well. Since then I went to a 14x7 prop and I think that has helped the landings provide more air over the surfaces I guess. Something I played around with is rates and no question this plane lands better on low rate, plus no full idle approaches. Keep a little power in.
I now have 4 flights on the SHP, and like it bigtime, maybe the best 3dhs plane yet, and I have had or have, 41-in edge, 38 epp, 47 Extra SR, 57 extra, 59 slick, 68 velox, yak 46, 71 slick. This thing feels like an extension of my brain! Now I need the big daddy 87.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast