HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite/go-to UMX plane?
Beast 36 57.14%
Sbach 27 42.86%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:11 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Discussion
UMX Beast vs UMX Sbach

Sorry, it's gotta be done. A poll to see which one is your favorite/go-to plane.

Just vote for your overall favorite. I know it's a hard decision, but it must be know

Only vote if you have both planes and flown both please. I'm a beast fanboy but I don't have an Sbach so I will not vote.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:03 AM
Joined Jul 2006
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Sorry, it's gotta be done. A poll to see which one is your favorite/go-to plane.

Just vote for your overall favorite. I know it's a hard decision, but it must be know

Only vote if you have both planes and flown both please. I'm a beast fanboy but I don't have an Sbach so I will not vote.
I have both, different planes with different properties but no difference in priority and it's impossible to vote.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:38 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Wow Sbach is 3 and Beast is 0 so far. Not what I expected. I may have to check this Sbach out
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:59 AM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
627 Posts
bolth planes are great, speed go,s to the sbach , but looks and coolness go to the beast great planes
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:06 AM
Joined May 2006
178 Posts
I love my SBach, but after flying it (and the UM Stryker), the Beast just feels kinda slow. I even thought about selling it but I paid $129 for it and the price on a new one has dropped to $99, so I doubt it'd be worth it to sell.

The Beast is a better looking plane, though. I'll give it that.
David McAfee is offline Find More Posts by David McAfee
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:38 AM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
The Beast is slower, but can't you do more controlled precision aerobatics on the Beast than the Sbach?

I'm asking cause I'm really sitting on the fence on the Sbach. Not sure if I want another UMX or a larger plane at this point, but the Sbach looks awesome. I'm not really in to speed, I try to fly the Beast as slow and as controlled as possible. See SLKCount's videos for reference.

What I would love is another plane as capable as the Beast but a different feel, and I think the Sbach may be that plane. I'm still surprised to see the Sbach in the lead in the polls though.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:35 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
The Beast is slower, but can't you do more controlled precision aerobatics on the Beast than the Sbach?
The Sbach is more of a pattern flyer, the Beast is more 3D. I have the Beast and was disappointed that is wasn't more of a pattern flyer as that's what it looked like in the intro video. I like it just fine, but I was hoping for something that I could use for pattern maneuvers in my backyard (1/3 acre). The Sbach will be my next micro purchase and will hopefully fit that bill.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:43 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
The Sbach is more of a pattern flyer, the Beast is more 3D. I have the Beast and was disappointed that is wasn't more of a pattern flyer as that's what it looked like in the intro video. I like it just fine, but I was hoping for something that I could use for pattern maneuvers in my backyard (1/3 acre). The Sbach will be my next micro purchase and will hopefully fit that bill.
You are way way way better than I am if you can do pattern stuff in 1/3 acre with the Sbach. I admire you and am jealous. My yard is about 2 acres wide open and I can do some rolls and loops with my Beast, but with the sbach by the time I turn it around on one end straighten it out and do a roll, it is time to turn it around again to keep it out of the trees. It's just too fast to do stuff in my yard. Fun to fly, but not much fancy stuff in the yard.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:11 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
I've not voted, I am interested in hearing from those that have both planes though... I am wanting the SBach...

I have the Beast and love it, I cannot fly it to its potential, I too am more of a pattern/sport flyer...

Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Impossible to pick 1 over the other. I love both of them. Sbach is definetly a more precise flyer with the beast being "flippier and trickier" as my wife would say. both are awesome micros.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:57 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,013 Posts
Easy choice for me. Sbach all the way. I feel the sbach is more precise in its flying. While I love biplanes and the beast looks great, I just never fully enjoyed flying it. There really isn't anything that I can pin down that I didnt like with it other than I always felt it was just to fragile. Not that I even crashed it, that was always in the back of my mind and I guess I never got away from it even when the price dropped to $99.
DoomsDay is online now Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:23 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
what do you guys mean 'precision' for the sbach?

how much more precise can you get than a 3d umx plane? lol
razorseal is offline Find More Posts by razorseal
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:27 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,013 Posts
The beast is not a 3d plane. It can do SOME mild 3d but it is not a 3d plane. The extra 300 is a 3d plane!
DoomsDay is online now Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:09 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
The beast is not a 3d plane. It can do SOME mild 3d but it is not a 3d plane. The extra 300 is a 3d plane!
well, the sbach isn't either. lol

they are both precise enough though.

still not sure what people meant by that.

I like the way the sbach looks, but the beast is half the price. I think i'll go for the beast because of that. if sbach becomes 99 as well, i'll go for that most likely
razorseal is offline Find More Posts by razorseal
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:12 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Yeah HH needs to get the prices of these UMs lower. $160+ is not an acceptable price for a piece of foam, a brushless motor and an RX with servos when you can get a large 1400mm warbird for about $50 more. If the Sbach was $99 instead of $169, I'd have two already but I can't feel like I'm getting ripped off at $170. Same goes with the Stryker for $159.. bah.

I understand they are amazing planes, but the prices are too high when comparing them to other planes you can get for the same price.