SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:02 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Hey, no video yet from anyboddy, so here's one showing upright boomerangs... They are not fast, but that's because I flying full rate, and I'm not adjusting the elevator... But since the video is in low resolution, slightly slower spin is better I guess... I'm doing it three time, and I'm landing the third one, because it's not so obvious if you're up or down in a low res video...
Ultra-micro Stryker 180 upright boomerang (2 min 33 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Well, I found a way to "cheat" it... Simply adjust your C.G. so the airplane is a bit nose heavy.... I can still do inverted boomerangs easily, but with a nose heavy C.G., I can enter a upright spin 100% of the time. So only thing you have to worry about is moving the rudder to change it into a boomerang. No more of that "get up there, try to start the upright spin, end up inverted, curse, and go for an inverted boomerang since you're already into it. And even if they are not fast, a simple upright spin is still nice to look at...

BTW, you can adjust it very nose heavy, and it still fly relatively well (unless you want to fly inverted ) Great little airplane!

So with a slightly forward cog, what method are you using?? The "Lambers" method?
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:50 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
So with a slightly forward cog, what method are you using?? The "Lambers" method?
Nope, still using Dave's method.... Way more complicated, but with a slightly forward C.G., I'm really getting it often now!. Keep in mind, I'm not doing it exactly and I have to time some of my stick with what the Stryker does (it has a mind of it's own!), but basically, I can start a spin almost 100% of the time now, and it simply accelerate slowly into a boomerang (fast spin). I fly full rate all the time, and I think setting up half rate on elevator, as Dave suggested may be better. In my case, I get the spin (the forward C.G. was my key here), then I reduce my elevator myself (same as if I had single rate) until it does gain speed. Also, I'm not really snapping yet as in the recipe.... Still a work in progress! You have to start VERY high if you want to see a very fast spin as it accelerate slowly... But somehow I feel I may still be doing something wrong (the snapping thing?).

BTW: Better try the upright boomerang when it's not windy... It's harder when there's too much wind. With Lamber's method, I always end up inverted, so I must be doing something very wrong with that recipe!
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2007
152 Posts
Trying to find where "the mix" is, anyone have a thread page, thanks.
mnovotny is online now Find More Posts by mnovotny
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:46 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
I got my boom on tonight .....wow that took only 5 days lol
leafs04 is offline Find More Posts by leafs04
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:08 AM
Joined Jul 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7weee View Post
I think I got the upright boomerang nailed.

Power off, full right rudder and aileron. The plane will start to spin. Now once the plane starts spinning start to feed in a little up elevator.
Yes a little up elevator and then full down and full left aileron works very well.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
Yes a little up elevator and then full down and full left aileron works very well.
When you say up and then full down, do you mean movement of the elevator? Or the stick??? lol
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:27 PM
Joined Jul 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
When you say up and then full down, do you mean movement of the elevator? Or the stick??? lol
I mean the movement of the elevator stick is opposite.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:38 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Still cannot do the Lambers method (dang it should be so simple...)

So for those guys who can do it, can you tell us what rate you're using (I have a feeling that's why some of us cannot do it).

What I'm interested in, is how much does your elevons move when you're doing:
" full down elv full right ail (Right stick top right)"

I'm flying full rates, and I think it could simply be because my elevons are too agressive...

So, tell us if you're flying half-rate or full rate, but if you have a second, slap a battery in your Stryker, go right stick top right, and tell us by how much your elevons move on both sides.

Also, tell us if you're using a DX6i and using the mix...

Thank you very much!
Old Sep 05, 2011, 07:29 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,735 Posts
Mine spins so fast I can't tell if it is up or down. Unless you want to land it, what's the difference?
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Sep 05, 2011, 11:30 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
me and leafs04 have a method that has a 100% success rate for us. Its hard to explain ill try and get video of it soon. I must say its different then anyone elses idea.
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Sep 06, 2011, 06:41 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithK View Post
Mine spins so fast I can't tell if it is up or down. Unless you want to land it, what's the difference?
You can do upside down boomerangs while your sleeping with one hand tied behind your back... Upright boomerangs are much harder to do consistently. We are simply still looking for a way to do it easily 100% of the time, so if you have a method, please share it with us.

Personnally, I find the upright faster than upside down, but they take longer to get to very high speed. On the other side, inverted boomerang are nice because you get maximum spin right away, so it's a crowd pleaser. You can also start them very low since it's almost instantaneous. I guess somebody will come up with a recipe for upright boomerang that will allow us to do it as fast 100% of the time. Lamber's method seem to be good for that has it take only 1 or 2 second to do it.... But I think it has something to do with how much your elevons move. Mine only move up or down by +/- 10mm... Other get +/- 12mm... So maybe that's the key?
Last edited by RealGambler; Sep 06, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:54 AM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
Ok here goes a shot at explaining it. 1 pull up into a stall but dont stall completely keep some speed. 2 apply full left rudder no elevator only rudder as soo. As it does 1 whip downward then reverse the rudder to full right. 3 quickly add left aileron as it enters the boomeran add up elevator or full down on the stick. The plane will stall and start a lazy boomerang. Hole that helps out and it has a 100% success rate. Have yet to figure out how to speed it up
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Sep 06, 2011, 03:53 PM
Full size pilot
USA, WA, Bellingham
Joined Dec 2009
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88 View Post
Ok here goes a shot at explaining it. 1 pull up into a stall but dont stall completely keep some speed. 2 apply full left rudder no elevator only rudder as soo. As it does 1 whip downward then reverse the rudder to full right. 3 quickly add left aileron as it enters the boomeran add up elevator or full down on the stick. The plane will stall and start a lazy boomerang. Hole that helps out and it has a 100% success rate. Have yet to figure out how to speed it up
To speed it up try to reverse the rudder after the lazy spin starts.
rx7weee is online now Find More Posts by rx7weee
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlyer88 View Post
Lambers methid takes you into an inverted boomerang. It flips the plane as soon as aileron is added but is a different wayto get into the inverted version. Ive plAyed with daves way and also just get a retarded looking down spin lol. Must be a timing issue
I used my method to record this, so as you see it's not inverted... Just from my experience, it really is a timing issue, you have to have the plane at the right attitude for each flight surface deflection.

Parkzone F-27Q Stryker 180 Spins On Board Cam (3 min 26 sec)
lambers is offline Find More Posts by lambers