HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:38 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Question
Exceed Racing 49" Hydro

Has anyone purchased and drove the new Exceed Racing GS260 Fiberglass STARS & STRIPES 26CC Gas Powered HydroPlane Remote Control Speed Boat?

In the You Tube video it looks very slow for a 26cc hydro.

Thanks,

Vern
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:25 AM
Joined Aug 2011
24 Posts
http://www.nitrorcx.com/99b-12001-st...s260-artr.html

Only $429.00!! Seriously?
Boosted Hydro is offline Find More Posts by Boosted Hydro
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:41 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,841 Posts
For what this costs, you really get what you paid for. If you were to upgrade the engine (~$250 for a decent RCMK) it would definitely be faster, but I'm not sure how good the hull/hardware are once you start piling on more power.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:57 AM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
For what this costs, you really get what you paid for. If you were to upgrade the engine (~$250 for a decent RCMK) it would definitely be faster, but I'm not sure how good the hull/hardware are once you start piling on more power.
First, I am new to boats, I have been flying EDF and Helis. I never gave boats much thought until my buddy bought a pro boat and I was amazed how fast it was. So my brother and bought a couple of Miss Elams and we have been racing them at our lake cabin home. Now I have the fever for larger and faster. So that is why I asked the question.

It looks slow in the video. I wish they would come out with 1/8 in electric Miss Bud Hydro.

Thanks for your comments.

Vern
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:06 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,910 Posts
Yup, what he said! ^^^^^ A Pro Boat rip-off which isn't a compliment considering how bad Pro Boat's boat is. With the Pro Boat, all you're buying is what it represents. With trying to keep realistic looks, everything else suffers. If you want a slow hydro that handles like a flat-bottomed boat, underpowered, over-propped and very hard to get parts for then the Exceed is the boat for you! NitroRCX/Hobby Partz/etc. really got into cheap junk here handling those boats. I'm probably going to off somebody with this posting but I don't believe in pulling punches.
I went to a swap meet that has mostly RC boats (a rarity, I know) and most of the guys shopping there had a good laugh over one of these hulls. The owner was trying to unload it some poor unsuspecting soul. I've seen other boats in person from Exceed and the other names they go by at the Toledo show. They're built cheaply everywhere.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
Yup, what he said! ^^^^^ A Pro Boat rip-off which isn't a compliment considering how bad Pro Boat's boat is. With the Pro Boat, all you're buying is what it represents. With trying to keep realistic looks, everything else suffers. If you want a slow hydro that handles like a flat-bottomed boat, underpowered, over-propped and very hard to get parts for then the Exceed is the boat for you! NitroRCX/Hobby Partz/etc. really got into cheap junk here handling those boats. I'm probably going to off somebody with this posting but I don't believe in pulling punches.
I went to a swap meet that has mostly RC boats (a rarity, I know) and most of the guys shopping there had a good laugh over one of these hulls. The owner was trying to unload it some poor unsuspecting soul. I've seen other boats in person from Exceed and the other names they go by at the Toledo show. They're built cheaply everywhere.
So you think pro boat is a bad product? I admit I know little about rc boats in general but I really like my Miss Elam. I have a 20' ski boat with a V8 and it's top speed is 42 mph. We put the Miss Elam in front of the ski boat and I floored my ski boat and the Miss Elam slightly pulled ahead of my ski boat at full speed on very smooth water with the plastic stock prop using 2s 4100 25c lipos. To me that is pretty good for a stock boat.

Your thoughts?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:35 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,910 Posts
OK, if you want them.
Your boat is electric powered which makes it easier to balance and fit everything into a scale appearing hull. The nitro and gas versions though trying to keep them realistic looking stuffed things in where they could which is why the CG is too far aft thus the poor handling issues. These boats were also designed with the beginner in mind. What draws people to these boats? Simple. Hobby shops sold a lot of these because of how it was decorated, a hull that a LOT of people instantly recognize. The problem is that many of those people who bought them didn't have a clue as what to do with it once they bought it, equating it to the dog who chases a car but doesn't know what to do with it once he catches one.
OK, back to the Exceed. This we look at the low price tag and think that it's a cheap way to get into RC boats. What can very well happen is that a new boater gets one and also gets a big package of disappointment and starts to think that all RC boats are like this one. The next thing you know, we lose another future RC boater.
Believe me, when I got back into boats I had some real heaps! This was before I had a computer and access to sites such as this. I found out that rags like RCBM were BS'ing us telling us what great boats they were reviewing although they were duds.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Olson View Post
OK, if you want them.
Your boat is electric powered which makes it easier to balance and fit everything into a scale appearing hull. The nitro and gas versions though trying to keep them realistic looking stuffed things in where they could which is why the CG is too far aft thus the poor handling issues. These boats were also designed with the beginner in mind. What draws people to these boats? Simple. Hobby shops sold a lot of these because of how it was decorated, a hull that a LOT of people instantly recognize. The problem is that many of those people who bought them didn't have a clue as what to do with it once they bought it, equating it to the dog who chases a car but doesn't know what to do with it once he catches one.
OK, back to the Exceed. This we look at the low price tag and think that it's a cheap way to get into RC boats. What can very well happen is that a new boater gets one and also gets a big package of disappointment and starts to think that all RC boats are like this one. The next thing you know, we lose another future RC boater.
Believe me, when I got back into boats I had some real heaps! This was before I had a computer and access to sites such as this. I found out that rags like RCBM were BS'ing us telling us what great boats they were reviewing although they were duds.
I have had other exceed products in the past that always disappointed me and I have gone out of my to avoid their products. They always under power everything they build. As for the Miss Elam I really enjoy it's handling and speed for a boat that is only 27.5 inches. And it really hugs the turns with turn fin.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I will keep looking for a Miss Bud that is electric.

Vern
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2006
51 Posts
I have 3 pro boats hydros. One has the clutch. The other, I installed the WTC header and hanson pipe. Cooper Mushroom. Added few weights on the cannard and a 270 prop.
The 3rd one I have is much lighter. Also, standard 260 with it's pipe from the factory less the clutch. It is not intended for racing. It is best for fun running in the mid 30's to 40mph. Tricky on turns as the standard turn fin I think is the issue.

The Chinese version is a very nice fun boat as well.
A friend of mine has one here. Really quite and the motor runs like a homelite.
Speed is around 30mph. Slower than a Pro-Boat. Keep in mind though, this is not for racing but for pure fun at the lake.

Do not run with Insane Hydro or Hoover Hydro or PI hydro, with a hot toxic motor.
By the way, a fellow boater installed a stock 26 on this Chinese built Hydro with tuned pipe. It actually ran in the 40's. Lost the upper cowling but ran pretty good.
Racer59 is offline Find More Posts by Racer59
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:34 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer59 View Post
I have 3 pro boats hydros. One has the clutch. The other, I installed the WTC header and hanson pipe. Cooper Mushroom. Added few weights on the cannard and a 270 prop.
The 3rd one I have is much lighter. Also, standard 260 with it's pipe from the factory less the clutch. It is not intended for racing. It is best for fun running in the mid 30's to 40mph. Tricky on turns as the standard turn fin I think is the issue.

The Chinese version is a very nice fun boat as well.
A friend of mine has one here. Really quite and the motor runs like a homelite.
Speed is around 30mph. Slower than a Pro-Boat. Keep in mind though, this is not for racing but for pure fun at the lake.

Do not run with Insane Hydro or Hoover Hydro or PI hydro, with a hot toxic motor.
By the way, a fellow boater installed a stock 26 on this Chinese built Hydro with tuned pipe. It actually ran in the 40's. Lost the upper cowling but ran pretty good.
Thanks for the tips.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:43 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by velyter View Post
First, I am new to boats, I have been flying EDF and Helis. I never gave boats much thought until my buddy bought a pro boat and I was amazed how fast it was. So my brother and bought a couple of Miss Elams and we have been racing them at our lake cabin home. Now I have the fever for larger and faster. So that is why I asked the question.

It looks slow in the video. I wish they would come out with 1/8 in electric Miss Bud Hydro. Thanks for your comments.

Vern
I bought the Exceed Miss Bud style Hydro from them and converted it to Electric on 9s lipo. Gettin' 60 mph out of it.

50" Hydro Castle 2028 WOT runs (2 min 3 sec)
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:06 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
I bought the Exceed Miss Bud style Hydro from them and converted it to Electric on 9s lipo. Gettin' 60 mph out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSP2wLB7rFM
Did you buy the hull only and then modify it? Do you have photos of the modifications?

Nice job!

Vern
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:19 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Thanks, here's the whole build thread. Bought Hull only.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1379537
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:37 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Thanks, here's the whole build thread. Bought Hull only.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1379537
Is the hull strong and thick or is it thin. What is your overall rating of the hull? Is it worth the money?

Thanks,

Vern
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
If i had to rate it i would say 8 out of 10.................thickness would be "medium" to me. I didnt add any glass or fiber to it and there are no stress cracks or issues with it after many runs. I am really please with it, and as far as the electric operation of it, its just plug and play........never an issue.

Came with this stuff too.................sold it on here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382952