SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

2DogRC Techone 35" Popwing Review

This is a vertical performer with a gentle glide slope. The Popwing is a 35" EPP fun flyer with an attitude for speed and maneuverability.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:35.4" /575mm
Weight:300-350g
Length:22.6" / 575mm
Servos:Tower Pro SG91R
Transmitter:Futaba 9 Cap Super with TM-7 2.4 GHz Module
Receiver:Futaba R6004FF 2.4 GHz.
Battery:Turnigy 1300 mAh LiPo
Motor:T2208 1370KV
ESC:Dualsky 18 amp w/ V2 Capability
Manufacturer:Techone Hobby
Available From:2dogrc

2DogRC’s newest Techone Popwing is the larger 35” cousin in the series. This flying wing is made of EPP foam, one of if not the most durable of the foam materials in RC. I like flying wings. Once you get used to launching them you can have some great flying fun.

Kit Contents

This is pretty quick building kit that includes all you need to complete a great flying wing.

Kit includes:

• CAD painted EPP foam wings and winglets
  • Laser cut motor mount
  • Battery mount and Velcro
  • Repair tape
  • Control horns
  • Servo mounts
  • Carbon reinforcement rods

Kit requires:

• 1370kv brushless motor (Techone T2208)
  • 2 - 9 gram servos (Tower Pro SG91R)
  • 18 amp ESC (Dualsky)
  • 7 x 3 prop
  • 1300 mAh LiPo (120g)
  • 6” Servo extensions
  • CA and epoxy

Assembly

The build is straightforward, but make sure you start on a flat surface, and give yourself enough room to operate to get both wing halves joined. I used medium CA and accelerator to make the bond. The model in the instructions is all white, so pay attention to which side is up and which side is down.

Wing

I aligned the two halves both front and back and top to bottom. I laid down some wax paper to protect the surface from glue. The carbon acts as a wing joiner.

There are several reinforcement rods (joiners) that require a shallow slit to be made in the EPP foam. The rods fit down into these slits and secure with CA.

Motor and mount

The laser-cut motor mount fits together snugly, but make sure to CA all the seams and also that the mount is square. I trial fit the mount to ensure sure it was running right down the middle of the wing.

Dualsky ESC

Mini Xcontroller V2. XC1812BA, ESC 18A Features:

• The new designed 2nd version software and hardware have many new features.
  • Supports all motor types up to 210,000 rpm(2 Poles motors).
  • Extremely low resistance, factory high quality MosFETs, for high current usage.
  • Adjustable cut-off, either motor stop or reduction in power.
  • DLBM on/off - Dualsky Linear Brake Mode. Brake strength can be adjusted by transmitter when switched on.
  • Full protection features including: Low voltage cut-off, Over heating protection, signal loss auto cut-off.
  • Normal, Soft or Super-Soft start up modes available, for both fixed wing and helicopter setups.
  • Smooth and accurate throttle control throughout the range.
  • Throttle digital signal sampling, compatible with the signal frequency of 14 ms. Normal mode and 7 ms high-speed mode (HS Mode).
  • Throttle range can be re-calibrated, so suitable for all brands of transmitter.
  • Fully PC programmable when used with Dualsky USB link(#45525).
  • Compatible with programming card(#45200) for easy re-programming at the field!
  • Stable linear BEC power supply, support up to 3S Lipo.

Fuselage

The only thing needed is to get the battery mount installed and then install the zip-ties that will secure the radio and ESC. The component compartment works well to isolate the receiver and the ESC from damage upon landing.

The servos got mounted into pre-cut holes. I then routed my servo leads across the wing and into the component compartment. I made ¼” slits to get the wire concealed.

Radio Installation

Everything electronic needs to go into the aft compartment. Based on my experience, the weight issue will be that the Popwing is tail heavy. Because these electronics are so close, what you put here will really not matter with regard to CG.

Completion

I completed the build with the linkages. Be sure to set your radio for elevons or delta wing. I used the setting provided for the control throws of 15 degrees in both directions. Winglets complete the build.

Flying

The Popwing and the Technone motor correlate with the prop size. I started with a 6 x 3 prop pulling only 4.9 amps, and the Popwing was lethargic. It just did not have enough air movement to fly well. I switched to a 6 x 5 prop and really noticed a difference with an almost vertical performance. It was a quick improvement. In the end, I went with a 7 x 3 prop, and I immediately noticed a much improved and now-vertical performer at 16.1 amps. I ended up weighing in at 435 grams even though the manual suggested 300 -– 350 grams. I could not get the plane to balance without adding 120 grams of 1300 mAh battery in the nose. My original setup had an 800 mAh battery that weighed 65 grams, and even then I was at 380 grams over the specified weight in the manual. Just keep the weight parameters in mind as you get your accessories, but realize it will end up more like 400+ grams.

Basics

Wings are fun to fly. They are very stable and will easily perform many maneuvers. I really like the compactness of wings: They will sit in the trunk or back seat and little hangs out that can be broken off. The air time is pretty good on a 1300 mAh pack. I got easily 8 minute high throttle flights. The Popwing is a stable glider: It actually soars very well.

Taking Off and Landing

This is a hand launched aircraft that requires a simple sidearm toss. When trimmed correctly, the Popwing will leave your hand level, but that first toss might be a little of an attention getter. Be prepared, or have someone give it a toss.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

The Popwing flies like a wing and will do loops, inverted flight and rolls. The high speed passes are where it shines with vertical climbs that are impressive with the right prop selection. It is equally adept at inverted flight.

Is This For a Beginner?

Wings are for intermediate to advanced flyers and a flying style that should be in your hangar.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

Techone has a great 35” flying wing. I would say a few tech notes would be in order on the website to correct the manual. Make absolutely sure you have the CG correct or the Popwing will not fly well. It will either fly tail down or porpoise so badly it will not be much fun to fly. Consider your only real option with weight, and that is the battery.

I loved the vertical performance. I highly recommend you use a stiff prop as the RPM will flex a soft prop. As well you cannot go above a 7” prop.

The Good:

• EPP
  • Paint scheme
  • Ease of construction

The Not-So-Good:

• Manual needs adjustment
  • A wider nose bumper to protect the battery (weight advantage)
Last edited by Angela H; Oct 10, 2011 at 04:14 PM..

Discussion

Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:28 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Great review mate. Its the same wing that Hobbywing are selling as the Tek Sumo, same wing design, same motor mount.

I have the Hobbyking TekSumo and found that when running a 1000mah 3S Nano Tech had to add weight to the nose as well.

Mine is running the HK2818 1350kv motor with a 8x4 prop, plan to give it a go with a 6x4 this weekend and see how I go.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Last edited by cloaked; Oct 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:07 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Yes, have to have that weight up front.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:29 PM
Mike Flyer
United States, NY
Joined Jan 2011
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Great review mate. Its the same wing that Hobbywing are selling as the Tek Sumo, same wing design, same motor mount.

I have the Hobbyking TekSumo and found that when running a 1000mah 3S Nano Tech had to add weight to the nose as well.

Mine is running the HK2818 1350kv motor with a 8x4 prop, plan to give it a go with a 6x4 this weekend and see how I go.
except the TEK SUMO is 900mm, this is more like the Bonsai. same motor mount.
rellik demanon is offline Find More Posts by rellik demanon
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellik demanon View Post
except the TEK SUMO is 900mm, this is more like the Bonsai. same motor mount.
Indeed your right.

My bad, still the Bonsai is awesome as well. And it this Popwing flies as well as either of them then its an awesome lil plane!
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:21 AM
Joined Sep 2007
174 Posts
Hi there,

In my opinion, Mini Popwing = HK Bonsai, Popwing = HK Tesumo, they're both basically from the same factory but print difference. I have popwing but don't really like the idea that I need 1600 3s + another 15g weigh at the nose to get the CG right. Don't get me wrong this wing do fly well infact the epp quality is better than my MS Swift ll, but it just feel heavy...just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Edwin.K
edwin3162 is offline Find More Posts by edwin3162
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:56 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Edwin, you have too heavy a motor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
right
jiezhizhao is offline Find More Posts by jiezhizhao
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,792 Posts
Thank you for the review. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into doing this.

We have had alot of fun flying ours at the local field and chasing the gas planes. My club likes to fly gas combat and and I throw up with them, humbles them when the electric plane cuts their streamer.

2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Sep 2007
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
Edwin, you have too heavy a motor.
Hi Dave & jiezhizhao,

I didn't change or upgrade my motor, it's the stock motor T2208 1370kv. You both can use below 1600mah 3s lipo? Thks

Regards,
Edwin.k
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:11 PM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
Yes a 1300 mAh was plenty of weight. 12o grams was all I needed. Not sure of your servos or your radio gear.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:33 PM
Joined Sep 2007
174 Posts
Hi Dave,

I'm using HXT900 9g servos, 2.4 receiver w/o case and Turnigy 12a ESC. I like floater so always tried my best for lightest set-up.

Regards,
Edwin.K
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
174 Posts
Hi Dave,

Do you adjust the CG or followed menu subjected? Thks

Regards,
Edwin.k
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:59 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
I did not add any weight other than the battery. I disagree with the CG and ended up more like 5.5 inches. My 1300 mAh battery weighted 121 grams
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2007
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
I disagree with the CG and ended up more like 5.5 inches.
Hi Dave,

If I move CG to 5.5" will make my case worst, I'm really surprise you can balance @ 5.5" with 1300 3s .

Regards,
Edwin.K