HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
I got some setup tips from Jason Cole at Hobby Lobby. We had trouble figuring out what is going on with the ESC so I'm sending it back for a return. In the meantime I put in a different one with the brake turned on. Having the brake reduces drag and makes a big improvement in sink rate.

He recommends mid flaps dropped about 8 mm for thermalling and landing flaps at full (mine are at 50 degrees or so). I am using 10% and 25% down elevator compensation. I have the flap speed set to 2 seconds to minimize ballooning.

He doesn't use crow but thought it would help. I configured crow on the gear switch and did a landing into the wind yesterday at less than walking speed. That's pretty amazing considering the initial landings with no flaps were so hot that after touchdown the model slid through grass at my flying field for several yards before stopping.

I'm curious to see how a full camber with just a 2 mm droop of both flaps and ailerons will perform. I am still tweaking the settings a bit but what simple things I have working so far has made this plane a joy to fly.
Control Freaked is offline Find More Posts by Control Freaked
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Jul 2001
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboone View Post
Doesn't need an upgrade motor at all. It already climbs vertically! How much more do you want?!?

Jason
Mine goes anywhere but vertical, and I'm flying mine stock. I like my samurai on 2 cells though, I think I'll leave it like that. The stock ESC stopped beeping and the brake doesn't work, other than that it's works fine.
quietfly is offline Find More Posts by quietfly
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:25 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
213 Posts
2 Years Now.....

Hi Eric,

If you're still watching this tread, I've got 2 summers on my Samurai now. I also use a DX-8 and have flown it both thermal and slope. I'm in Massachusetts so not the greatest place for slope soaring, but I've been down to Cape Cod off the dunes with it and had a blast.

Write back if you're still interested in how I've got mine set up.

Murph
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
Trailer Down By The River
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbilbo91z9f View Post
Hi Eric,

If you're still watching this tread, I've got 2 summers on my Samurai now. I also use a DX-8 and have flown it both thermal and slope. I'm in Massachusetts so not the greatest place for slope soaring, but I've been down to Cape Cod off the dunes with it and had a blast.

Write back if you're still interested in how I've got mine set up.

Murph
I want to know how you got it set up!! Let us know! I want a Samurai ,,,give us a full write up!!
TURBOOMNI is offline Find More Posts by TURBOOMNI
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:57 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
213 Posts
Set-Up.

Hi Turbo,

I have to go to work in a few minutes, so I'll give you my thoughts on the build part of the Samurai here and write the radio set-up later.

When I bought my Samurai I read a thread from a guy in Australia who had one. He complained that after a month or so of high speed flying and rolls, loops etc... that he was getting stress cracks in the fiberglass pod. The area behind the wing root and in front of the wing are VERY thin and unless they have changed it since I got mine, I'd plan on adding a thin layer of glass or carbon to these areas to beef them up. I did that to mine before even building it and I've had no problems.

The only other issue I had with my Samurai build was the hardware they give you with it. I am using the stock motor and ESC with no ill effects, but the rest of the stuff, (control horns & wires...) are junk. On test flying the Samurai I couldn't get the trim to double-center for crap and on the 2nd flight I broke one of the aileron control horns landing on the grass. The plastic flap horn was next to break. After that I just changed them all out for good nylon and stiff wire parts there hasn't been one hang-up since. And it holds my trim set-up.......

Radio Info Later.

Murph
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,034 Posts
Would like to know how best to re-position flap servo on to the wing. I'm not crazy about it being in the servo tray.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Thanks Paul for the info.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
fast,,,, faster
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,405 Posts
i used carbon rod for elevator ruder linkage is fine,i also made some notch in the ail and flap and used glass horns very stiff.i had the one with no power equipment and used my own power setup it fly's well and no problems.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Over all how do you all like the Samurai? Can you slow it down to land in tight places? Can it fly slow enough to thermal well? I hear it is a warmliner too ...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
fast,,,, faster
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,405 Posts
it will fly the way you want it too,yes it will slow down for spot landing.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:32 PM
PCT
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
A BUILDING TIP: My tail mount was out-of-round and would not fit onto the carbon fiber tube no matter how much I sanded. I heated the mount with a heat gun (a hair dryer might do) and it temporarily softened it enough that it slipped right on.
PCT is offline Find More Posts by PCT
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Sep 2004
473 Posts
Good tip!! I received my Samurai and it is in an amazingly small box! Quality looks very good too,,great bang for the buck. I would like to know more specifically where in the fuse should be reinforced or glassed so there won't be any fatigue cracks.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:49 AM
Joined Jun 2007
129 Posts
clearing wrinkles in covering?

My unit's wing arrived fairly wrinkled (just the yellow wing bottom, interestingly). I tried to iron but suspect my temp is too low, but I don't want to risk melting film. Anyone know what the covering is, or know what temp is needed to remove wrinkles?

Jim

Edit: Found it - it's Oracover/Ultracoat - Was on HobbyLobby description - http://www.hobby-lobby.com/samurai_a...35116_prd1.htm

Apply around 220, shrink 300-350.
larjim is offline Find More Posts by larjim
Last edited by larjim; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Jun 2007
129 Posts
For LeftCoast DJ re: where to place wing flap - I cut for mine so the servo mount would butt up against the wing spar. You can see roughly where the spar is by looking at ends of centre section. I made servo mounts out of three pieces of square hardwood, assembled in a U - easier to cut than plywood. Using flat wing servos. Maybe 4" off centre of wing span.
larjim is offline Find More Posts by larjim
Last edited by larjim; Jan 27, 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:06 PM
PCT
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
Good tip!! I received my Samurai and it is in an amazingly small box! Quality looks very good too,,great bang for the buck. I would like to know more specifically where in the fuse should be reinforced or glassed so there won't be any fatigue cracks.
I don't have any cracks yet, so I don't know. I didn't like the glue-in control horns so I replaced them with du-bro. They have barbs on the pins that seem to hold better. The keepers that prevent the wire from slipping off the horn broke very easily. I soldered threaded rods onto the pushrods and used nylon connectors with a piece of fuel tube as keepers. It's nice to be able to move the connectors on the treaded rod for adjusting set-up and trim. It adds a little weight though.
PCT is offline Find More Posts by PCT