|Mar 09, 2012, 10:21 PM|
They've been out of stock for quite a long time. They said they would restock sometime in the spring of 2012. I ended up getting something else.
|Mar 09, 2012, 11:19 PM|
|Jul 26, 2012, 09:03 AM|
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
Coming back to this review for another look.
78Dave, you write some really excellent reviews. Having done product reviews myself I know how much time it takes to produce a review of this quality. Really, really fine work!
Now, back to the glider. My interest is all about ALES thermal soaring competition. I would not buy one of these for myself as my leaning is toward 2 meter and larger e-gliders. However some of our club members would be interested.
Anyone flown this in ALES competition?
|Jul 26, 2012, 11:20 AM|
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
|Sep 19, 2012, 04:41 PM|
|Sep 20, 2012, 12:06 AM|
so i need suggestions on motor i like to run a 10x6 .
|Sep 25, 2012, 11:28 PM|
I'm almost done with my Samurai - my first balsa build.
But I'm having some issues with setting the brake in the ESC - I think it came without the brake set on. I've been following the instructions on the Hobby Lobby site and turning the Tx on with the throttle on high to send the ESC into programming mode. The instructions say bring the throttle down after the two beeps. But my ESC is beeping multiple times in series. Could someone please post detailed instructions on how to set the brake using a transmitter?
Also, once the brake is set, does the spinner/prop not turn if I tap it with my hand when the ESC is armed?
|Sep 26, 2012, 11:29 PM|
Nashville, TN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
More than likely getting one of these, myself.
Found this in another thread:
<<Quoted from Jason....
Here's the deal on the brake. It's actually a lot easier than I remembered. The manual is obviously not the right one.
All you do is this:
Turn on radio and move throttle stick to full.
Plug in battery to plane.
You'll hear 4 beeps, two lower tones followed by two higher tones.
Right after the 4th beep, move the throttle stick all the down.
If the brake was off, that turns it on. If the brake was on, that turns it off.
Hope that helps,
|Nov 12, 2012, 10:42 AM|
Joined Oct 2012
I have assembled and successfully flown the Samurai. I am an experienced RC pilot but new to sailplanes. I also have a Radian and a Radian Pro. I am using Horizonís DX8 model for the Radian Pro and make use of the flaps, camber, reflex, and crow.
I am using Sky 2s 2200 batteries and needed 1.5 ounces of lead in the nose to get it to balance. My AUW is 36.5 ounces.
I flew my Radian Pro at The Lump overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway but it was so floppy in the slope wind that it wasnít much fun. I got the Samurai for slope soaring there but would also like to be able to thermal soar with it if possible.
Here are my questions:
- I'm not sure if the brake is enabled. There is a 4-tone sequence when I first plug in the battery. Iíve tried putting the throttle at high and then move it to low as soon as the 4 tones finish. I've repeated this setup and checked both ways and I see that one of the toggled modes has more resistance when I chop the throttle after a run up. However, it doesn't snap to a stop after a short delay like my Radian so I'm not sure if it is working correctly.
- What should the ballpark flap and elevator deflections be for landing? Do you recommend also using crow? How much up deflection do you recommend for the ailerons?
- What wing configuration(s) do you recommend for thermal soaring? Should I camber the wing with both flap and ailerons? What ballpark deflections for aileron, flap, and elevator would you recommend?
- Is there any use for flaps at mid position? I can see how it would be useful to camber the whole wing but I donít know when I would just use the mid-flap position.
- Is there any reason to use reflex? The Samurai seems so quick in normal configuration that I have a hard time seeing when I would make use of reflex.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Article||Hobby Lobby Escale EPO Pilatus PC-21 ARF Review||Bajora||Scale Kit/Scratch Built||31||Jan 04, 2015 11:59 AM|
|New Product||Hobby Lobby ESCALE Pilatus PC-21 Turbo Prop||turbinefancy||Electric Warbirds||44||Aug 25, 2014 12:19 AM|
|Discussion||Hobby Lobby Samurai Electric Glider||Robert N||Electric Sailplanes||28||May 09, 2014 10:37 PM|
|Discussion||Grob 103C escale/Hobby Lobby||slcrcflyer||Scale Sailplanes||31||Aug 07, 2013 01:55 PM|
|Discussion||Spare part for Hobby Lobby Escale A6M5c Zero||Kevinfred||Electric Plane Talk||4||Sep 30, 2011 06:17 PM|