HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
Screamin' fast!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
They've been out of stock for quite a long time. They said they would restock sometime in the spring of 2012. I ended up getting something else.
CrazyJB is offline Find More Posts by CrazyJB
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:33 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Dec 2010
116 Posts
What did you end up getting?

Rookie
WH Rookie is offline Find More Posts by WH Rookie
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
Screamin' fast!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WH Rookie View Post
What did you end up getting?

Rookie
I got an Art Hobby Agena ES and I built it with flaps and put a hot motor under the hood. (I posted my build on my page)
CrazyJB is offline Find More Posts by CrazyJB
Last edited by CrazyJB; Mar 09, 2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: felt like it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:03 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Coming back to this review for another look.

78Dave, you write some really excellent reviews. Having done product reviews myself I know how much time it takes to produce a review of this quality. Really, really fine work!

Now, back to the glider. My interest is all about ALES thermal soaring competition. I would not buy one of these for myself as my leaning is toward 2 meter and larger e-gliders. However some of our club members would be interested.

Anyone flown this in ALES competition?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:47 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,183 Posts
Are these back in stock?
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
I don't think this is the place to ask about the stocking levels at the various retailers.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:20 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I don't think this is the place to ask about the stocking levels at the various retailers.
Why not? Seems like a good place to me!

John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:28 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
I thought I cancelled that post. Humm. Sorry. Posted then realized it didn't make sense to post it. OOPS.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:44 AM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,554 Posts
so who used a different power setup on this plane? please post.
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:41 PM
RCGroups Heli Editor
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Dec 2010
203 Posts
I run my Samurai on 3cell, but I needed to change out the ESC. I dont think the BEC likes 11.1 volts and 5 servos. Other then that, I really like the higher voltage, and 7x4 prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBEN View Post
so who used a different power setup on this plane? please post.
Ben
ndfly700 is offline Find More Posts by ndfly700
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfly700 View Post
I run my Samurai on 3cell, but I needed to change out the ESC. I dont think the BEC likes 11.1 volts and 5 servos. Other then that, I really like the higher voltage, and 7x4 prop.
that is all cool.but i have one with no power option need a motor hobby-lobby is out of 2829 1800kv
so i need suggestions on motor i like to run a 10x6 .
thanks
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,045 Posts
I'm almost done with my Samurai - my first balsa build.

But I'm having some issues with setting the brake in the ESC - I think it came without the brake set on. I've been following the instructions on the Hobby Lobby site and turning the Tx on with the throttle on high to send the ESC into programming mode. The instructions say bring the throttle down after the two beeps. But my ESC is beeping multiple times in series. Could someone please post detailed instructions on how to set the brake using a transmitter?

Also, once the brake is set, does the spinner/prop not turn if I tap it with my hand when the ESC is armed?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:45 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,183 Posts
The brake will try to hold the motor against rotation, rather than locking it solid.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
Nashville, TN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
9 Posts
More than likely getting one of these, myself.
Bill

Found this in another thread:
<<Quoted from Jason....

Here's the deal on the brake. It's actually a lot easier than I remembered. The manual is obviously not the right one.

All you do is this:

Turn on radio and move throttle stick to full.
Plug in battery to plane.
You'll hear 4 beeps, two lower tones followed by two higher tones.
Right after the 4th beep, move the throttle stick all the down.

If the brake was off, that turns it on. If the brake was on, that turns it off.

Hope that helps,
Jason Cole>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Could someone please post detailed instructions on how to set the brake using a transmitter?
raineswn is offline Find More Posts by raineswn
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
17 Posts
Setup Questions

I have assembled and successfully flown the Samurai. I am an experienced RC pilot but new to sailplanes. I also have a Radian and a Radian Pro. I am using Horizonís DX8 model for the Radian Pro and make use of the flaps, camber, reflex, and crow.

I am using Sky 2s 2200 batteries and needed 1.5 ounces of lead in the nose to get it to balance. My AUW is 36.5 ounces.

I flew my Radian Pro at The Lump overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway but it was so floppy in the slope wind that it wasnít much fun. I got the Samurai for slope soaring there but would also like to be able to thermal soar with it if possible.

Here are my questions:

- I'm not sure if the brake is enabled. There is a 4-tone sequence when I first plug in the battery. Iíve tried putting the throttle at high and then move it to low as soon as the 4 tones finish. I've repeated this setup and checked both ways and I see that one of the toggled modes has more resistance when I chop the throttle after a run up. However, it doesn't snap to a stop after a short delay like my Radian so I'm not sure if it is working correctly.

- What should the ballpark flap and elevator deflections be for landing? Do you recommend also using crow? How much up deflection do you recommend for the ailerons?

- What wing configuration(s) do you recommend for thermal soaring? Should I camber the wing with both flap and ailerons? What ballpark deflections for aileron, flap, and elevator would you recommend?

- Is there any use for flaps at mid position? I can see how it would be useful to camber the whole wing but I donít know when I would just use the mid-flap position.

- Is there any reason to use reflex? The Samurai seems so quick in normal configuration that I have a hard time seeing when I would make use of reflex.

Thanks,
Eric
Control Freaked is offline Find More Posts by Control Freaked