HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:35 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,445 Posts
and that's what i need it for slope,it too looked very lazy in the video maybe one more flight video with vertical climb out wood help,is there a way to buy this without power pkg?
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:16 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
Boys, just try to video a plane moving at full speed. I slow things down to allow my videographer to keep it in the window. The Samurai can indeed light it up with speed. This is one of the best fiberglass and built-up wing gliders out there. It is not a hotliner, but looks like one. The flight stability is incredible. It's a natural in the thermal and uplifting slopes. The flaps increase lift like they should and are not just a bunch of drag hanging down with not improvement in flight.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:21 AM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,146 Posts
Here's the HL Video.

Hobby Lobby Samurai Sailplane (2 min 52 sec)
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:19 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,121 Posts
Jason, please stop posting videos like that one I am needing a Samurai in my fleet and you are making it very hard to hold off. The slope sites around here are full of cactus, Yucca and lava rock, but you showed us that you can fly off a postage stamp clearing in the mountains with tress all around - so the glove has been dropped and the challenge has been made. Darn you
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:17 PM
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
5,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Jason, please stop posting videos like that one I am needing a Samurai in my fleet and you are making it very hard to hold off. The slope sites around here are full of cactus, Yucca and lava rock, but you showed us that you can fly off a postage stamp clearing in the mountains with tress all around - so the glove has been dropped and the challenge has been made. Darn you
Oh you mean this video? All on board footage was shot on my Samurai. Tight landing zone at the second site.

Slope Trip 2011 with FlyCamOne HD (4 min 33 sec)
Jason Cole is online now Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Advernterous... Awsome...

Enjoyed that!
UlteriorModem is online now Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:55 PM
Cumulus Altimus
KELLER TEXAS
Joined Feb 2002
3,445 Posts
now that was great this is just what i need for small slope we have.....im sold
Ben
FASTBEN is offline Find More Posts by FASTBEN
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:43 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2005
1,162 Posts
I've had one since the summer. It thermals really well, I have yet to take it out to our little slope.

My only issue was to get it to CG with the suggest point I had to add a lot of weight up front. however while flying it I could tell it was nose heavy and I kept taking out the weight

It doesnt need any other motor or battery pack in my opinion
jzanutto is offline Find More Posts by jzanutto
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Dec 2009
78 Posts
...looks MUCH better in the HL video; especially the four point rolls. Looks ideal for slope aerobatics and mildliner flying. Might have to try one of these; price is right.
lornecherry is offline Find More Posts by lornecherry
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:55 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,195 Posts
According to the specs, the motor is running about 33 amps or about 363 watts at 11 volts. At 33 ounces that is 176 watts/pound. Should climb straight up quite nicely.

That should be PLENTY for a warm liner and should get you to 200 meters in well under the 30 seconds required for an ALES contest. But some people really love things way overpowered.

I would probably go for a lighter battery pack, maybe an 1500 25C pack, to try to get the weight down a bit for thermal soaring. Might save 2 ounces. But it really looks good for the slope.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 11, 2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:30 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,316 Posts
It climbs pretty much vertical with the larger battery. Not a hot liner, but only because of the wing spread. Just too much drag, but certainly warm!
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:57 AM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
I've had one of these for about a year now and really like it. With a decent 2200 3S it climbs almost vertical and floats around all day. It does everything reasonably well at a great price.

The only negative I could say is the covering doesn't hold it's tension very well and wrinkles quite a bit in the Oz summer heat.

Apart from that it's one of my most used planes.

Cheers,
Al
Macattaka is offline Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
It looks like another plane I have

Gee, this looks like the OK Models Pilot Stevia electric glider, right down to the hardware used. Rebranded for a different market?
Check out the link.
http://shop.singahobby.com/?q=node/19805

In any case the Stevia is a great glider.
Cheers
Andrew
Kiddio is offline Find More Posts by Kiddio
Last edited by Kiddio; Nov 29, 2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:17 PM
Screamin' fast!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
To those that aren't impressed with this plane: That video does not do this plane justice as far as penetration and speed. But the following video sold it to me (watch the third flight near the end of the video):
Samurai rc electric glider ! (4 min 52 sec)
CrazyJB is offline Find More Posts by CrazyJB
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,195 Posts
I would love to hear more about this glider's performance as a thermal duration glider for ALES contests. Any opinions or experience? At 10 oz wing loading it is in the higher end of what I would prefer, but still workable, and maybe better for wind than a real floater like a Radian.

At 69" the visability will be difficult at long distance so you can venture our all that far.

Not knocking the glider in any respect, just wondering what thermal pilots think of it.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr