HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by shanesmadhouse, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:35 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
698 Posts
Gallery
Any one for a fanta?

Well all the stars were aligned a few months ago when I saw a Guiliani Mirage 2000 EDF for sale. Well price was right and this would save me heart ache of getting via building my first EDF.

Straight away I knew the cosmetic differences between a 2000 and a RAAF Mirage IIIO were slight so taking the bull by the horns I started shaping and sanding the differences into the model. Withing a month I had a Mirage IIIO well very stand off ish scale and squint those eyes a little. Building went well with a few minor mishaps as we all expect when building then the toughest decision as too what colour to paint the plane. I remember with fond memories watching the French Lady flying in the late 80s around Amberley QLD when they would visit and I loved the shape of the ladies.

I was hard pressed to either do a camo paint either green, light grey or on of the other varieties that were painted. Well I put it to a vote on here and a vast number opted for the ARDU (Aircraft Research and Development Unit) fanta orange plane.
A little bit of research and soon I was getting the paint sorted then decals had to be sourced which was easier than I though.

Final version I think looks some what fantastic, just hope she does not have a demise like 40 odd real Mirages the RAAF had crashing.

Hope you like the paint job as I had a ball bringing it too you.

Cheers and happy flying.

Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just some of the hanger.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:26 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,850 Posts
Fanta - Model

I like! Any details posted?
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:55 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
698 Posts
Thanks as yes I too like the final product and even better still so did the family.

What details would you like reference this plane construction.
I brought a basic Guiliani kit and had fun cutting the fin down and the extra bits the 2000 has hanging off the fin, adding the shield around the Aburner feathers and placing the intake cone on the plane. I also added an additional ventral tank like the Mirage III.
As I said just some small cosmetic surgery was done.

Glad you like it, If you want any more info or piccys let me know.

Cheers Shane
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:47 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,850 Posts
Details on Gear Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesmadhouse View Post
Thanks ... a basic Guiliani kit and ... cutting the fin down and the extra bits the 2000 has hanging off the fin, adding the shield around the Aburner feathers and placing the intake cone on the plane. I also added an additional ventral tank like the Mirage III. If you want any more info or piccys let me know. Cheers Shane
Pictures are always welcome. I am curious about the motor, ESC, and etc. used for the model. I am assuming you didn't use stock components, but if you did, I should be able to find out what the Guilaini kit comes with. Thanks.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Sep 05, 2011, 08:24 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,882 Posts
Really nice work, as always, Shane.

What did you use for the exhaust cone?

And was that a water-based paint you used for the orange?

She looks brilliant

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:20 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
698 Posts
BJ,
Thanks for the compliment.
The exhaust cone is just a thin piece of plastic I normally use as a backing of my awards when in uniform. It bent just right so went with it instead of the thin balsa which was first option.
The paint is just Tamiya TC spray paint. I coated it WBPU then in very fine layers but still stuffed up with the masking and over spray still got in under the tape. Then peeling the tape off it took small areas but they were white on white so I was happy.
I added the extra wing strakes under it for the normal mechanical for elevator/ ailerons.

Ventral fuel tank is just foam shaped and added a layer of fiber tape on the underside to prevent rashes when landing.

Shane
RCG Plus Member