HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:25 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
781 Posts
One thing I've noticed while flying facing the sun......the stripes show through the translucent foam!

I'm also seriously thinking about having dual servos for the ailerons so they can become big flaps.....Anybody have thoughts on this?

-8th
8thelephant is offline Find More Posts by 8thelephant
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
530 Posts
Yes! I was considering removing the single aileron servo and putting two servos side by side in the same spot. Haven't trial fitted anything yet, but it looks like it may work.

Mixed flaps and elevator might be cool with this plane.......
rcflyair is offline Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:11 AM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
This plane flies great doesn't it, folks? I still fly mine a lot and it tracks better than any of my other foamies. It certainly increased my interested in flying clean patterns across the sky.

It sounds like they're making some good updates on the original model. The clevises certainly could use an upgrade though. The piano wire is a must though. I still am using the originals on the ailerons but will probably do the piano wire mod on those as well.
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:26 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,205 Posts
Maidened mine today, flights went well, though i forgot to set my timer on the first flight, lipo cut mid air and had to go for an unexpected landing, broke the landing gears.

No worries though i was going to take em off since most of my fields are grass.

Second flight set my timer to 4:30 and about 3 minutes in flight i noticed one of the ailerons wasnt moving, the clevis pin broke! But she was still flying okay with just 1 aileron lol.

My kit has 2 spare clevis's so its now replaced. i will do the piano wire mod if another one breaks.

How tight does everyone have the kevlar string set? Mine was tight, but after maiden it's not so tight, but wiggle the servo horn there is no slop, wondering if this is normal.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:28 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
781 Posts
MaddSkillz +1
I'm even looking at a rigid balsa pattern ship now.... Maybe something cool from Sebart

Dual Wing Servos: OK, so the fuse measures 23mm thick on my calipers and the ES08A is 11.5mm thick.
So if I cutout the current servo, reinforce with 0.5mm carbon strip (like was used for the removable wing mod) and glue two servos to the strip; the 0.25mm protrusion shouldn't be very noticeable.
I'm just not sure if the carbon strip will be enough support for 2 servos torquing all the time.... And if the extra weight is going to impact flying capabilities very much.

-8th
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
138 Posts
Anybody tried the airbrakes?
BakedMopar is offline Find More Posts by BakedMopar
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedMopar View Post
Anybody tried the airbrakes?
I've not tried them since most of my flying is done outdoors and the Venus slows down very well on it's own, but the general consensus seems to be that they're not really necessary.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:23 AM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
Almost ready for test flight
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch1100 View Post
Looking good. Hope your maiden goes well

-8th
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:24 AM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
633 Posts
Just about done on the flaps.
Next will be the retracts, and the night flying kit, then the speed brakes, lest I forget about the thrust vectoring. Or I might add a small EDF on the rear fuse. Ideas, ideas...

Now seriously, Venus #2 stripped the aileron servo whilst setting up the rates... well, my friendly LHS had a free replacement at hand
Bought a handful of those (CHF 9.- each) as spare and to upgrade Venus #1. They look and work fine, a simple push-in replacement.

Gotta say there is a radical difference between the servos installed on my 2 Venuses. #1 is a first generation Venus with sluggish and slow servos. #2 has those snappy digital ones, but they are not very precise. We'll see how the replacement servos fare
DeeCee 57 is offline Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2010
138 Posts
Yes my digital servos have really bad resolution. Sometimes I have to re trim the control surfaces. This is my first 3d foamie and I must say it flies really well. I'm having a ton of fun with it.
BakedMopar is offline Find More Posts by BakedMopar
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:01 AM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
Quote:
Is this 3d bird tamable to fly for a some what beginner? I've flown a night vapor, champ and a micro t-28 (w/alerions) and I'm wanting to give this baby a go.
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Is this 3d bird tamable to fly for a some what beginner? I've flown a night vapor, champ and a micro t-28 (w/alerions) and I'm wanting to give this baby a go.
You'll need a computer radio to reduce the throws and add lots of expo and it can be tamed down to a very nice aerobatic sport flyer.
I finally got mine out again for a short flight in the wind today....
It was a dream to fly it again and the wind was the worst I've flown this in and it was a blast just having it in the wind standing still. Overall just a great plane that can do it all...
DanBo3D is online now Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:36 PM
Life's short - Enjoy!
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
633 Posts
microDan, fully agree on your comments!

Venus #1 was hit severely by the planet yesterday
After reseating the prop on the motor, I noticed that the fuselage seemed wobbly... further investigation showed that the fuselage rods had become unstuck both sides for most of the length. No other damage, what a tough little bird

Repaired the damage last night, and since I was at it, also replaced the 3 servos.
Had 4 flights today and can't believe the difference this makes. With the new servos she's so much more responsive! A real 3D trainer, I'm now able to work on those KE spins and rolling circles

For anybody with a 1st wave Venus, invest (well, call it spend) into 3 servos, it is well worth it.
DeeCee 57 is offline Find More Posts by DeeCee 57
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:10 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Joined Dec 2008
781 Posts
+1 microDan
+1 DeeCee 57
Great comments guys

The V3D is amazingly easy to fly with a computer radio. I'd say It's a must for novice, intermediate and expert pilots since Expo and Dual Rates really open up the envelope for this airframe.

Servos: My V3D is a 1st Gen and was upgraded to 8g Emax ESM08A servos (plastic gears to save weight) which made a huge difference in centering and stability compared to the stock 5g ones.

BTW: Just saw this Neptune EDF on the Techone site! Hope it's made of EPO too.
http://techonehobby.com/proview.asp?id=311

-8th