HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX8 - Not yet 1yrs and yet another Problem.

Well just like the title says, not even a year old and I got another problem with it.

Mine was one of the 400 hundred that went back but it went back prior to the DSMX release and so the work to those 400 (mine) was done but not explained to me what for. (Found out later when DSMX came out)

I was there for my Flashing DSM2 receiver led that I knew had to do with the radio but was told different by HH. The service bulletin came out and it had to go back.

Well now it was working good until today. A while ago I taught my radio had rebooted but since I was just on the bench messing around I taught nothing of it. Today rebuilding a crashed plane (pilot error for sure) I notice it rebooted AGAIN but this time I taught maybe it was the LIPO pack and so I change back to stock pack and now can duplicate every time.

Here is what I am talking about. Video speaks for itself. At the very end, the hand gesture is not to point at something but to show how I am currently feeling, the other gesture I wanted to use would not of been PG rated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYZweHXh0jA
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
Looks like a bad battery connection. Possibly between a pair of cells.
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
Checked and not the cause.
Quote:
I notice it rebooted AGAIN but this time I taught maybe it was the LIPO pack and so I change back to stock pack and now can duplicate every time.
It's something inside in that area of the radio, this is the most sensitive spot to tap it that causes a reboot.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
Well it looks like I found the problem and the problem would not of been from manufacturer but straight from Horizon Service Center. I guess when the work on the radios and need to replace the gimbals they DISCONNECT the ribbon connector linking the back side of the radio to the rest of the radio. That ribbon on the radio's side was not fully seated, SHAME on you HH Service center, this could of cost me a plane.

Luckily all its going to cost is new double sided tape to re-attached the rubber grips. Anyone know where to get that stuff?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,597 Posts
That really is bummer freechip. I remember another guy having a problem similar to that. It started when he first got it back though. I think it was a loose ribbon cable or something along those lines.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,597 Posts
I'm glad you figured it out. I started typing, got up to do something really quick and there was your post lol!
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Aug 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
I just need that tape now.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined May 2006
374 Posts
way to go freechip!

I am afraid I can't help you with the double sided tape, but could you use something else? Glue, perhaps hot glue? CA?
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
512 Posts
Double sided Scotch tape available at any office supply place
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:35 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,096 Posts
Glad you found it and it was a simple fix. Perhaps things are a bit too rushed at the service center and mistakes are getting made.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:52 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
3M double sided tape for automotive trim?
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:52 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
Glad you found it and it was a simple fix. Perhaps things are a bit too rushed at the service center and mistakes are getting made.
I won't comment on what goes on there, was pretty peed off when it started acting weird on me, voltage would drop on the display and then come back, then it started rebooting. Glad it was an easy fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh P View Post
Double sided Scotch tape available at any office supply place
Thanks for the info, Andy emailed me couple minutes earlier.

Just got back and it does work nicely.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
3M double sided tape for automotive trim?
got some of that and its too thick.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:31 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
All fixed. I recommend DX8 owners who had there units serviced for the DSMX-DSM2 & Gimbal issues to check there radios. Gentle tap along the bottom right corner, if it reset then you may have the same going on inside with lose cables.

Spektrum DX8 (0 min 20 sec)
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:35 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
I'm surprised the "Spektrum Groupies" haven't been on here yet claiming that this was "user error"(obviously its not). LOL

I think if I was one of the "unlucky 400", I would sell that transmitter and buy a new one.
I wouldn't have any confidence in that radio.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Closed Thread