HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2003, 08:25 PM
San Diego Lindberg, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
for those in CA, alternatives ? to 3M 77 ?

A couple weeks ago, I was in the local Kragen/Autozone car parts store and I saw some spray contact adhesives, for automotive trim etc. Some listed Acetone as the first ingredient, where as others listed Cyclohexane and no acetone. Can anyone tell me if cyclohexane is safe for F3 or EPS ? I don't have any old cans of "good" 3M77 spray to check. In the "bad" 3M 77 spray was it the acetone that caused the melting of EPS ?

EP
epkoncept is offline Find More Posts by epkoncept
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2003, 08:36 PM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
You can still use the new spray. Just hold it farther away from the foam so that the mist "falls" on it. That gives the foam eating chemical time to evaporate from the mist. I did a wing with the new spray last week, and sprayed from 3 feet above.

Jim
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
thanks jim

Jim:
Yes, I was aware that I could spray at a longer distance and hope that the bulk of the acetone would not make it to the eps, but I just thought that it would be easier to spray at a closer distance with the advantage of less over spray on the surrounding area. For example I tried to save weight by only applying tape to areas of my wing that I thought would need the reinforcement, so I did not want to get the spray on areas I was not going to cover. I guess I could mask of the plane and spray at a safe distance but I guess I am lazy. ie use a controlled spray from a close distance with non-acetone spray.
EP
Old Sep 11, 2003, 05:42 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,407 Posts
You might want to check some art supply or older hardware stores. I found a shelf full of the older 3M77 (without the acetone) at a local art supply store.
babblefish is online now Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Sep 14, 2003, 11:26 PM
Joined Jan 2002
1,288 Posts
thanks babblefish

Babblefish:
From about a year ago, I cruised the isles of the local hardware, Michaels, and hobby stores, and I could not find any store with "old" stock good 77. Last week at work I met a 3M rep. I was told that there alternatives to 3M77 which does not contain Acetone, but I believe he said it contains another solvent, something like cyclohexane ?

As soon as I get the stuff, I will post the product info.

EP
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:05 AM
WORK!
Joined Jul 2002
407 Posts
epkoncept,
You may want to try Power Poxy Spray Adhesive. I picked some up at Menards, others at Wal Mart. The label lists foam as a safe surface material. I have tried it on BluCore foam and it works well. I never used the original 3M formula, so I can't compare.
Howard
hweird is offline Find More Posts by hweird