Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:56 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
J build

It is looking great! Keep up the post and photos!

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:08 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys!!! You two have been instrumental in my build- Rick(also Dennis) for testing the waters for a 36 incher & Ed for the Hull #529 build(now that was a QUALITY build)with so much detail to guide me on this build.

I got a little done today - epoxied all the framing(it was only ca'd in place)
- epoxied the rest of the inside of the hull
- made a paper tracing of the framing prior to the deck install(per Ed)

Ed - you might not say that if you saw the lead under the Bondo But thanks for the compliment.

Erle
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:32 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Aug 2006
41 Posts
Molding a J Boat

I suspect I know what your problem was with the male plug attempt to build the hull. That hull would be extremely difficult to separate from the plug. I made a 36" Yankee J boat using a male foam plug in two halves. The Hull was made in two halves and joined after molding. It worked out fine. I have built three more from the same plug.
aglbcl is offline Find More Posts by aglbcl
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Question on mast location

As you can see from these pix, I'm going to be using a keel stepped mast. My question is - how much fwd. & aft adjustment do you think I should provide for the mast? The 1st mast location is 16" from the bow. Each alternate location will require another hole. How many do you think? As you can see, I've laid out a few more locations(they might be too close together tho'). I'll also be using a block on the keel with corresponding holes for the bottom of the mast.

Also, the 48" CF mast I'm using will provide up to about 44" above deck. This should be enough I think?

Thanks,

Erle
Last edited by werlec; Dec 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: sp
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:28 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Erle.

My Canterbury "J" is 48" long and my mast is 62" above the deck. And I usually have the mast at 21 1/16" from the bow. I have one more step further back at 21 1/4" but have not used it yet. The furthest step forward is at 19 5/8", all my steps are 5mm apart.

Hope this helps,
Ed
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:51 AM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Thanks Ed, thats what I needed. Haven't had chance to work on it lately

My planned mast location s/b OK with about 3 more holes. 75% of 62" is
48" - I'll be able to get about 44" out of the 48" cf mast - so I s/b OK

Merry Christmas & happy hollidays to all

Erle
Last edited by werlec; Dec 22, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:38 AM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by werlec View Post
I'm sitting here waiting for Irene to pass, so I thought I would start a build log of my 36" J-boat. I was going to build a Canterbury-J but decided I really didn't want a large 48" boat(It is one georgeous boat though!!)

A 36" size seemed more practical for me. I really like the looks of the Canterbury, so I used the same shape & proportions. I then reduced them to 75% for a 36" length.

I've finished the plug & plan to use this as a male mold to make the hull.

Here are a few pix of my progress so far. I built a plug from scrap foam, then covered it with light spacke(several times with the last coat being thin & brushed on), then sanded it smooth. I then put a thin coat of Envirotex Lite & sanded it to get rid of any imperfections then put on a full coat of Envirotex Lite for the final finish.

The next step is to try a fiberglass or epoxy hull from the mold.
My wife was looking over my shoulder at the pics of your plug on the marble counter top & her first reaction was - "what would the wife say!!!".
She then proceeded with, don't bother with the divorce - just send me the alimony.....
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Scratchy,

I had to be real careful(notice the paper under the wood) She dosen't mind my models on the counter top as long as I'm careful!! Photo shoots only - no glue, no paint - actually NO work at all

BTW the granite was only 3 weeks old when those pix were taken!!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:53 AM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
More progress.

I finished and installed the base support for the mast at the keel & epoxied the SS pin at the bottom of the CF mast. I ended up with an overall length of 45" above the deck.

The sub-decking is also now finished except for the sanding. I used 1/16" basswood epoxied to the framework. After a final sanding I'll start to install the raised main hatch and cover & make a flat hatch cover for the occasional access to the rudder tiller. Then comes the planking of the deck(ugh).
Last edited by werlec; Dec 31, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:31 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Erle,

Nice to see some more progress. The boat is looking good. I wish I had a hatch for the rudder arm, it is hard to get to from the main hatch.

Ed
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
A little more progress. Haven't gotten much done lately, just some work on the hatch coaming, starting on the "planking" & my "hybrid" sail control arm. The arm's made with some 1/32" aluminum & 1/8" lite ply epoxied together).

I haven't had much time lately due to some work & a vacation to Marco Island FL.
The Marco trip was great!! I took my Laerke RG65 with me & was able to sail it on Mackle Park Lake. It was actually too breezey one day & it was a bear to handle

As luck would have it though, some folks from the Marco Island Model Yacht Club showed up with their Lasers & one of the officers of the club let me sail his Laser That 15 lb. boat could handle the wind I had a blast sailing it around! I'm terrible with remembering names, but many thanks to the owner of the Laser(I think it was the president of the club). He was being interviewed by the local press about their upcomimg championship races March 2-4. I saw some of this regatta last year. This year was the 1st time that I've had the opportunity to sail anything other than my RG65 & it was great.

I hope to get a little more done on the J before our next vacation in March!
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:40 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
866 Posts
Looking good

Hi Erle,

The boat is looking great. Nice job on the sail arm.

I sure enjoy sailing my J 36. Did you see Dennis's new version with a wing keel. If it is faster than mine I might have to modify mine and add one too. But I'll wait for the trail runs first.

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:16 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
The sub deck and sail arm looks great.

Ed
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
I've started on the "planking". So far it's working according to plan The perimeter is finished & now it's time to start the "strips". If everthing goes well, I'll explain how I'm doing it - it's a little different than I've seen elsewhere

I'm also trying to decide if I will stain the perimeter & center strip a darker color than the rest of the strips.

Rick -- yes, I've seen the pix of Dennis's wing keel - looks interesting. Could be a future mod if it works. I've been following everthing you two have been doing! I really don't want to "reinvent the wheel"