HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:42 PM
Canada, ON, Bracebridge
Joined Aug 2011
5 Posts
Help!
Nine Eagles battery

Hi Folks. I just got a Nine Eagles Sky Eagle. It came with a 2s Li-Po 7.4 V/180 mAh battery. Can I purchase a replacement battery that will give me longer flight times? I'm only getting around 5 minutes with the stock battery.
dpurcell is offline Find More Posts by dpurcell
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:08 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,758 Posts
Longer flight time ?, probably no.

The problem is a larger capacity battery will also be physically bigger, and heavier. Heavier models usually need more power to fly, more power which can equal short flight times........

Just buy more batteries to get more fun time, improving your landing skills are an important part of leaning about flying models.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
Canada, ON, Bracebridge
Joined Aug 2011
5 Posts
OK! Thanks for that.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:25 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,518 Posts
Yeah, you could do that. Increasing battery capacity is one of the easiest ways to gain more flight time, contrary to the post above.

The stock lipo is pretty small, so it might be tough to find any that are just slightly bigger, but here's one with almost twice the capacity. The stated weight is 21g, which is eight grams heavier than your stock battery, but if you shortened the leads you could take off maybe a couple grams.

Increasing capacity will rarely make the plane heavy enough to end up with LESS flight time as Ray says. It will force you to fly a bit faster, and the plane will need a bit more room to land, but adding a few grams shouldn't hurt it THAT much.

There is the matter of fitting it intp the plane, but it's a foamie. These things are born and bred for modifications

As long as the CG balances out, you don't have much to worry about.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
Canada, ON, Bracebridge
Joined Aug 2011
5 Posts
Cool..so there are options!!