SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:12 AM
Colmenar Viejo - Madrid - Spain
Joined Jan 2009
212 Posts
Question
the highest temperature in a gasoline engine , (heat cylinder & exhaust gas)

Change name of threadHello everybody,

I want to make an electronic circuit that it should disconnect the electronnic ignition if temperature is above the highest one.

Could someone tell me which is the highest temperature in order to avoid any damage ?

Thank you

Enjoy flying

Jose Luis
JoseLuis28 is offline Find More Posts by JoseLuis28
Last edited by JoseLuis28; Sep 02, 2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Change name of thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:57 AM
Canada, NS, Greenwood
Joined Aug 2011
16 Posts
I could see this for electric motors, but there too many variables in IC engines for failure other than temperature. Wrist pin snap rings, stuck ring etc. You can have a catastrophic failure without high temperatures.
ACS tech is offline Find More Posts by ACS tech
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:35 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2011
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS tech View Post
I could see this for electric motors, but there too many variables in IC engines for failure other than temperature. Wrist pin snap rings, stuck ring etc. You can have a catastrophic failure without high temperatures.
You missed the point entirely. He's looking to create a circuit the kills the ignition to prevent heat damage. This would potentially remove one of those variables. You're right, not all failures cause excessive heat but excessive heat can/will cause various failures (stuck ring, siezed piston, bearing failure) so while it wouldn't be a catch-all solution, it may prevent some failures.

OP, A nice feature would be some sort of audible alarm thar sounds a few degrees before the ignition is killed.
NefariousRC is offline Find More Posts by NefariousRC
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:06 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
You may want to start searching snowmobile sites. Umpteen years ago I had a racing snowmobile that had temperature sensors that ran gauges. Basically the sensor was a thick sparkplug gasket which was wired to a gauge box. I think at one point in time it was an OEM option on one of the brands.

The only other non-water temp sensor available for any gas motor was a exhaust gas temp sensor which indicated if your mixture was rich or lean. I wonder if todays auto oxygen sensors in the exhaust pipe would be similar or the same as.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:35 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,177 Posts
The temperatures can vary depending on the engine brand and type, how much cooling it gets from the fins and air flow and so on.
But the temps seem to be around 200 degrees Farenheit give or take a little.
ref: http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/in...g_easier.shtml
So if you set your temperature cutoff to 220 degrees F, that would be a good starting point.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:29 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
You don't need to build one. Nobody does this however.
http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=0605

The answer is proper cooling and monitoring temperatures. Many carry an onboard temperature sensor that records peak temps and if things get hot, you make adjustments to your baffling to improve cooling.

http://prme.nl/forum/viewforum.php?f...23912c2c33cef5
http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=0602

Gas engines can handle more than than 220°F without damage. Try to keep it under 250°F. Even higher peak temperatures can be acceptable.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:50 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
Enhaust gas temperatures will be the highest and from 600 to 1000 degrees F. Diesel tractors use pyrometers to monitor exhaust gas temperatures in the turbos to get a feel for how hard the engine is working. Once you start pushing past 900 F on the pyrometer engine life is shortned.

A K type or T type thermocouple should work for your application. You will need a cold junction compensated thermocouple to digital converter for your microcontroller such as a Maxim MAX31855.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/7273

I have used the MAX6674/MAX6675 before with good results.

Jason
Jason_WI is online now Find More Posts by Jason_WI
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:03 PM
Joined Jan 2009
212 Posts
Sorry
Last edited by JoseLuis28; Aug 30, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
212 Posts
Oh no I lost my answer.

Ok doesn't matter, as on monday, I'll be at home , I'll reply that day or next tuesday.

Thanks a lot everyone , very good info to start.

Enjoy flying

Jose Luis
Last edited by JoseLuis28; Aug 30, 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Jan 2009
212 Posts
Hi, just at home, easy to write with keyboard, not mobile phone as before.

The idea is to design an electronic CDI , and this circuit will be an auxiliary one, only to prevent damage due higher temperatures. If every engineīs model has its ideal temperature cut off, I have to ask the manufacturers about it, of course I need that info , I must indicate it in manual and user could program the right cut off temperature, also could disconnect the preventive circuit.

Jason, that Maxim thermocouples looks very good, 14 bits resolution is excellent, maybe Iīll use it, but my initial idea was that a PIC including A/C converter with 8 bits resolution would be good for my application.

Anyway, I have to study every detail, every component carefully.

Any idea, any circuit to prevent damage, please tell me.

Thanks

Enjoy flying

Jose Luis

Last edited by JoseLuis28; Aug 30, 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 04:21 PM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
Where would you measure/monitor the temperature?
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2009
212 Posts
I donīt need it. My circuit must be simple, cheap to build, adding few components and using the PIC of CDI circuit.

Of course, I have to use precision tester in order to know
real temperature

JOse Luis
Last edited by JoseLuis28; Sep 01, 2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: My stupid reply
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:46 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
When I worked on snowmobile engines back in the 70s, the operating temp was between 250 and 300F with a thermocouple under the sparkplug. 350 was getting dangerous.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
212 Posts
I think I must give some option between 220F to 350F.

Using the info you are telling me, I think it would be a good range.

Flypaper2, you install the thermocouple under the sparkplug in order to aviod aircooling refreshing the sensor, donīt you ?

Now I have to ask manufacturers about cut off temperature, and "ignition advance curve". I donīt know if in english it would be its technnical name.

Also, I have to open new thread.

Thanks

Enjoy flying

Jose Luis