HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:14 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Between a 4#3B, UFO#5 and UFO#8, I never want to see another Walkera brushed motor.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:17 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,301 Posts
Yes I hope it's not a crappy motor
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:45 AM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
Last week a member (thunder2661) posted this link in regards brushed motors and break-in, I had no experience but I wonder if it would help in the future for this little genius...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm

The point may be moot as it sounds like Darryl & WOW will have a BL setup available commensurate with the release of the Genius CP.
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:13 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,301 Posts
Good article thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiaddict View Post
Last week a member (thunder2661) posted this link in regards brushed motors and break-in, I had no experience but I wonder if it would help in the future for this little genius...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5628228/tm.htm

The point may be moot as it sounds like Darryl & WOW will have a BL setup available commensurate with the release of the Genius CP.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:59 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The problem with Walkera brushed motors is they use copper fingers, not carbon brushes. Heat makes the copper fingers lose tension, which means poor contact. Normal brushed motor break-in doesn't work. It's meant to seat carbon brushes.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:05 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The problem with Walkera brushed motors is they use copper fingers, not carbon brushes. Heat makes the copper fingers lose tension, which means poor contact. Normal brushed motor break-in doesn't work.
You were Right however walkera are using carbon brushed motors nowadays - but as on the previous post its a moot point.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:28 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
I can now attest to the toughness of this heli. First I plowed straight into a cement light pole in full forward flight and chicken danced on the pavement. I then flipped it back upright and took off again with no issues. Cool. Unfortunately, after the next few circuits my neighbor's Corvette drove up the driveway so I hovered up and over the car but he decided to stop in the CCW turn path. I had to drop her into the pavement real quick. Unfortunately, it slid across the street into the path of his rear wheel and he ran it over. . Oh no. I picked up what was left and hoped the Rx and servos were undamaged. Had to repair the tailboom with some CA, replaced the tail motor and blade and replaced the feathering shaft. Believe it or not, its back in the air in less than an hour. Nice. Got to say, this heli is definitely tough. Here is what is left of the tail rotor. LOL.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:47 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,301 Posts
lol

crazyness

damn tough

so

is this devo 6 better than dx6i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I can now attest to the toughness of this heli. First I plowed straight into a cement light pole in full forward flight and chicken danced on the pavement. I then flipped it back upright and took off again with no issues. Cool. Unfortunately, after the next few circuits my neighbor's Corvette drove up the driveway so I hovered up and over the car but he decided to stop in the CCW turn path. I had to drop her into the pavement real quick. Unfortunately, it slid across the street into the path of his rear wheel and he ran it over. . Oh no. I picked up what was left and hoped the Rx and servos were undamaged. Had to repair the tailboom with some CA, replaced the tail motor and blade and replaced the feathering shaft. Believe it or not, its back in the air in less than an hour. Nice. Got to say, this heli is definitely tough. Here is what is left of the tail rotor. LOL.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 03:42 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,223 Posts
I cant understand why Walkera is till using brushed motor for their heli..it is inefficient and is a Lipo killer, brushless is dirt cheap(HK micro outfit)
Walkera can do better in bulk. Also the Genius is using servos???? instead of all in one!!!(must be unbreakable servos)
Any idea of the pricing?? for serious heli flyers wanting to use the micro for aerobatic/3D training another Tx to buy is a
pain and not practical. They should really get into bed with one of those after market module players like Frsky,,Assan
MartinL is online now Find More Posts by MartinL
Old Sep 02, 2011, 04:39 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinL View Post
I cant understand why Walkera is till using brushed motor for their heli..it is inefficient and is a Lipo killer, brushless is dirt cheap(HK micro outfit)
Walkera can do better in bulk. Also the Genius is using servos???? instead of all in one!!!(must be unbreakable servos)
Any idea of the pricing?? for serious heli flyers wanting to use the micro for aerobatic/3D training another Tx to buy is a
pain and not practical. They should really get into bed with one of those after market module players like Frsky,,Assan
You can pose the same question to Blade regarding the MCPx. The answer is to save weight. You will an external ESC for a brushless motor. If you are looking for a brushless CP heli of the size, then Walkera has the V100D03BL.

The linear servos used in the MCPx are open and exposed. The servos used by Walkera in this heli are not normal servos. The servo driver circuit is probably built into their receiver. I am not sure whether it is possible to build all the servos onto the same board. The MCPx has 3 independent servos and the Solo Pro 100 3d has a rear servo.

Transmitter compatibility is a major issue here. There are lots of modelers who have already got an existing 2801pro. But Walkera has chosen not this incompatible with existing Walkera users. But at the end of the day, Walkera is there to make profit and they do what they think is best for their profitability.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 02, 2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:03 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinL View Post
... Also the Genius is using servos???? instead of all in one!!!(must be unbreakable servos)
What servos are unbreakable?
One can read many posts (say on Helifreak) of the linear servos on the mCPx dying (and all the stores having the servos on back order due to the high demand).
Not to mention that there are also many posts of having to periodically take apart and clean the mCPx linear servos (the feedback variable resistor is exposed and gets dirty).
And if a servo were to break, I would rather not have it on the all-in-one:
instead of just unplugging and replacing one servo, the option becomes either taking apart a servo on the all-in-one or totally replacing the all-in-one.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:10 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,301 Posts
I'd much rather have rotary servos over linear - linear are a PITA.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:21 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I'd much rather have rotary servos over linear - linear are a PITA.
+1

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:22 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
You can pose the same question to Blade regarding the MCPx. The answer is to save weight. You will an external ESC for a brushless motor. If you are looking for a brushless CP heli of the size, then Walkera has the V100D03BL.
Actually most brushless conversions on the mcpx loose weight, mine lost 6-7 grams
If they wanted they could do a built in esc as well.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:36 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,712 Posts
WOW!!! ,just read this thread and i just cant believe how tough this thing is,,,a walkera that doesnt bend when you look at it too rough Looks like an awsome toy,,,,i was thinking of a 250cp next to fly in smaller areas but this thing looks wicked for playing 3d without all the sad rebuilds
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2