HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:41 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
845 Posts
That picture on Wow is how I based my thought on "how does this thing connect" lol. I found another picture on another site: the tenth picture on this site: http://www.rcproreviews.com/walkera-...-cp-brushless/ I think I see it clearly, the two leads from the esc go to the power leads on the RX and to the battery is that correct? Then just heap everything on top of the rx, and you have "Mega Power GCP" lol
Thanks
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Last edited by RaymondM; Feb 17, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
That picture on Wow is how I based my thought on "how does this thing connect" lol. I found another picture on another site: the tenth picture on this site: http://www.rcproreviews.com/walkera-...-cp-brushless/ I think I see it clearly, the two leads from the esc go to the power leads on the RX and to the battery is that correct? Then just heap everything on top of the rx, and you have "Mega Power GCP" lol
Thanks
Yeah pretty much. Personally I would remove all those plugs and extra wire to save weight but it wouldn't hurt to test the default setup.

That and batteries. The stock batteries are essentially useless for brushless.

Plus you will most likely need to do something to the tail to keep it from blowing out. Tons of different things you can try here. Currently I'm running with a KBDD blade and 13mm extended boom but it's far from perfect. I have a FBL100/V922 tail motor on the slow boat that I'm going to try.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:29 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
845 Posts
I think i'll test the default first and go from there
got some Hyperion 240's and some Nano Tech 260's
I've got a GCP V2 tail and it is longer than stock GCP also running a Solo Pro tail blade.
Let us know how the V922 tail motor works out, isn't that a bigger motor than stock?
If so you'll have to have a motor holder for it. I know you know that already.
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:53 AM
v922, mini, genius,mcp, v450D0
United States, MN, Le Sueur
Joined Nov 2012
1,134 Posts
It would be great to know the 922 tail would work on the walkeras I have a g cp v2 and 2 minis.and a 922 we all know the 922 parts are much cheaper.
I am just making the transition to cp from fp and I have a good question. How is it that I can fly my 911s into the wall, crash them hard lots and have never yet broken a tail boom, yet with my cps I have 3 broken tail booms right now. They seem to be the same realtive size yet the cps break tails like they were much weaker.
jack herr is offline Find More Posts by jack herr
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:57 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack herr View Post
It would be great to know the 922 tail would work on the walkeras I have a g cp v2 and 2 minis.and a 922 we all know the 922 parts are much cheaper.
I am just making the transition to cp from fp and I have a good question. How is it that I can fly my 911s into the wall, crash them hard lots and have never yet broken a tail boom, yet with my cps I have 3 broken tail booms right now. They seem to be the same realtive size yet the cps break tails like they were much weaker.
I am sure it will work and possibly better since the motor is larger and the tail boom a bit longer. You should be see an increase in tail authority as a result. The tails on the CPs are not that much weaker. It is just that you are crashing with much bigger force. Also the faster spinning blades may hit the tail boom with a greater force in a boom strike.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:26 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,134 Posts
Higher speeds are not a factor for me right now as I am just hovering in the living room right now. My crashes have all been slow and low. There is no doubt about higher head speeds and I suppose the rotors may have hit the boom but all the breaks are right where the boom enters the frame. My mini actually broke the frame area that holds the boom to the frame. On that crash I was just hovering about 12" above a table the rotor nicked a pop can spun the heli and the tail boom was cracked and broken mainframe. I could do that same thing all day with a 911 and not break anything. Kinda strange how much more delicate the cps are than fps, that was a surprize to me
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:40 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Broke booms

Thats strange. Mine never did that. Broke a few but they were wild crashes from heights with speed hitting hard,smack boom. I have both v1, and v2.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:51 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,134 Posts
It was a low slow crash, sliced the side of the can right open must have been some kind of torque to whip the heli around hard enough to snap the tail and frame. Like I said though the 911 could do that all day and not break..
Since you know all the helis I have and have way more knowledge than I, can I ask a question? The walkeras have the same ends, doo you know what the plugs are called? Same for the 922/911 battery/plug ends? Why do they have to make so many ends? Every maker makes a different end and I can not remember all the names. When ordering cables, wires and such it drives me crazy not knowing what the name of the ends are.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:56 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
You need to get used to the fact that if you want to have this as a hobby you will be spending time learning lots and lots and lots. There are a few popular plug types. But for Walkera and most chinese manufactures, use this.. Takes awhile to learn.

Mini. Micro JST Connector plug 1.25 2-Pin
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:00 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
My V911 weighs ~31 grams with 120 mAh battery whereas my brushless Genius weighs ~48 grams with 300 mAh battery. I believe the stock Genius is ~45g with the same 300 mAh battery. That's around 50% more weight.

Then the Genius has a lot more mass in the head. The blades are longer, heavier, and you have the metal feathering shaft, bushings, bearings, blade grips and metal rods where the V911 has a simple light all-plastic head. The flybar weights on the V911 have a little mass but they are dampened by that rubbery plastic.

On top of all of that the Genius is usually running at or near full throttle all the time which gives a higher head speed which means more kinetic energy to dissipate when you crash.

All that combined is why you tend to get more damage on the CP heli's. It gets worse the larger the heli is. More mass, power, and speed means more damage.

Many of the plugs are JST types. There are different types of JST plug though with different spacings and such. Here is a small sampling with some information: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1493712.
There are many more though those are some of the more common types.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the feed back guys. Bobfa I am fully commited to this hobby. I knew it when I bought my mall coax I was in big trouble. No problem with repairs and the learning, that's what makes this so great, no end to the learning(both build/repair&flying). Thanks both for the connections info. I still don't know wahy there can't be more conformity amongst manufactureers other than making you buy their stuff vs generic.
I have read a couple ebooks about the cp helis and troll the forums for knowledge all the time. It's hard to be older and learn this on your own in the house(MN=winter) so excuse me sometimes when I am ignorant or ramble on off topic at times. Often I just need to discuss my attempts at flying/learning. I have a devo 8s&10 I am trying to figure out what cable I need to connect pc to sim. I run windows 7 and have clearview downloaded but cant use it because I don't know what cable the devos need so if anybody has the knowlege/link that would be great. THANKS for letting me ramble
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,134 Posts
I have a question although it is about the mini cp but I think it is close enough to ask here. Regarding main gear slippage, I have come to find out that while common to all the little helis even normal in the small fp(911 and such) it is no good in cp as any play affects blade angle(pitch). I recently looked at all my cps and some needed to have the main gear pushed back up the shaft. One of my mini cps wont fly now. I snugged up the gear so no play up/dwn in the shaft. Now when spooling up it begins to slow down at 50% and gets even slower at 100%. It flew alright before this so it seems strange for something like snugging the gear would cause these symptoms. In short after snugging up the main gear it will now get light on it's feet around 50% then it gets heavy again and the motor slows down form 50% through 100%.
I have a battery charged and am going to try and move the gear down just a little and see if that changes anything. No such problems on the other mini, genius or V922 so kinda strange.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:06 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
I think the Devo radios use a normal common mono plug/jack (attached picture) which I think is called "JR/Hitec" jack or something. I'm just going on what I heard though because I don't have one of those radios.

When you pushed the gear back on that moved the main shaft in relation to the swashplate therefore your blade pitch may have changed. It could just be too tight against the collar under the swashplate which would create drag, maybe try loosening the collar a tiny bit. You might need to check your mechanical setup since the swash is now in a different position. Level the swash, "zero pitch" the swash, and check your pitch/throttle curves on the radio.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:49 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
I think the Devo radios use a normal common mono plug/jack (attached picture) which I think is called "JR/Hitec" jack or something. I'm just going on what I heard though because I don't have one of those radios.
I have a couple of Devo's. The Walkera UP02 upgrade tool is used to upgrade the firmware in my Devo 10...here's a picture of the plug on the UP02.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is offline Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer View Post
I have a couple of Devo's. The Walkera UP02 upgrade tool is used to upgrade the firmware in my Devo 10...here's a picture of the plug on the UP02.
Yeah the Walkera stuff has a special 3-wire interface (stereo plug) for their firmware upgrades and such. A standard mono plug will also work in it as far as I know as a PC/trainer PPM interface.