SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:34 PM
Multitotor Pilot/Web Designer
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
1,174 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you all for the head setup advice will get to try it out with a new CO5 bl this spring!
RaymondM is offline Find More Posts by RaymondM
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:22 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2012
40 Posts
I am looking at a ad on Craigslist for a Blitz RC Works Ghost CP Flybarless Helicopter and Ghost 7 Transmitter. Is this a rebranded GCP?
tominjax is offline Find More Posts by tominjax
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:35 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
I converted to brushless for like $30.

Running BLHeli too which is awesome (programmable, governor mode, etc). I use an Arduino (OlliW) and some bent wires pushed on to the programming plug to program and flash it from the PC.

Only problem is tail blowouts now. Clockwise nose-in funnels are completely impossible because the tail is too weak to hold. I'm going to install a 0.5" longer boom to see if that helps enough.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:10 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominjax View Post
I am looking at a ad on Craigslist for a Blitz RC Works Ghost CP Flybarless Helicopter and Ghost 7 Transmitter. Is this a rebranded GCP?
Yes this is a rebranded GCP. Bananahobby sells them, take a look at the spare parts list there and you will see that from the receiver on, everything has the same numbers as the GCP. The Tx is a Devo 7

Jim
jcmors is online now Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
I converted to brushless for like $30.

Running BLHeli too which is awesome (programmable, governor mode, etc). I use an Arduino (OlliW) and some bent wires pushed on to the programming plug to program and flash it from the PC.

Only problem is tail blowouts now. Clockwise nose-in funnels are completely impossible because the tail is too weak to hold. I'm going to install a 0.5" longer boom to see if that helps enough.
Try the 7mm tail-motor from the turnigy 100 fbl, cheap and much stronger and cooler than walkera stock tail
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4 Posts
...or the astroid 7mm tail motor mount / oversky 7mm tail motor, quite cheap, and much stronger and way cooler than walkera stock tail.
HeinzTasman is offline Find More Posts by HeinzTasman
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:19 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
I actually have a bunch of 7mm motors left over from building my micro-quads. I guess I could try to come up with a mount. The Astroid one is nice but is way more expensive than I'm willing to pay.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:46 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Welp, 7mm extended boom, 7mm motor, and giant UDI quadcopter prop does not work. Holds worse than stock, lol. I was going to use my KBDD blade but I didn't realize the 6mm motors have a much smaller shaft (0.8mm?). I made the motor mount out of polyurethane coated paper, it's super light (dave1993's tried and true method from the micro-quads).

Of course it's impossible to get anything from China for 6+ weeks so

Edit:
Tried with an old V911 blade (drilled out to 1mm) and it behaved exactly the same.

It could be the motor, probably not enough RPM. It's a pretty crappy $0.90 motor after all.
Last edited by LittleMo; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
I bought my party at hobbyking, motor holder boom tailblades and fin together for about 10Dollars. Works pretty fine
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:28 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Tried one last time with a stock Genius "pitch enhanced" blade and got the same result. It must be the motor. I guess I'm stuck until China reopens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
I bought my party at hobbyking, motor holder boom tailblades and fin together for about 10Dollars. Works pretty fine
Do you know if the FBL100 motor shaft is 1mm or 0.8mm?
Last edited by LittleMo; Feb 09, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:45 AM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Tried one last time with a stock Genius "pitch enhanced" blade and got the same result. It must be the motor. I guess I'm stuck until China reopens.

Do you know if the FBL100 motor shaft is 1mm or 0.8mm?
0.8mm
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:34 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addifromgermany View Post
0.8mm
Thanks! I'll give the FBL100 stuff a go when I can.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:13 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Welp, 7mm extended boom, 7mm motor, and giant UDI quadcopter prop does not work. Holds worse than stock, lol. I was going to use my KBDD blade but I didn't realize the 6mm motors have a much smaller shaft (0.8mm?). I made the motor mount out of polyurethane coated paper, it's super light (dave1993's tried and true method from the micro-quads).

Of course it's impossible to get anything from China for 6+ weeks so
When I want to get back in the air quickly I use rchelistore.com . You'll have you're stuff in 2 days and he's a great guy to deal with.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:56 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
When I want to get back in the air quickly I use rchelistore.com . You'll have you're stuff in 2 days and he's a great guy to deal with.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:15 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
I have been playing with some different batteries lately.

I tried a few discarded puffed batteries from a Mini-CP and wow, especially with the brushless they have way more punch than the cheap 300 mAh nano-tech's I have been using (which I'm discovering must not be very good; at least not for brushless). I get about 7 minutes of high power fun with those. Even the tail holds better (far from perfect but better). I had to tape it under the canopy because they won't fit in the GCP battery tray. They are close to the same weight as my nano-tech's and are also 300 mAh. So I guess I need to buy some better batteries.

The nano-tech's give me 6 minutes of flight time but it's weak and I can tell the motor is not even hitting the governor target speed.

Another test I did was to hook up two of my cheap batteries in parallel. Look at this mess:

The rigging and batteries were pretty heavy at 19g for everything but it was just a test. I don't know how much is due to the extra weight but even with two in parallel they still did not seem to deliver much power, it felt just like one of them does. I got a flight time of 10 minutes though.

I'm going to try to find some cheap-ish but better quality 300-400 mAh batteries.