HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Thanks for the info Mo.

On another topic: I received my used, "non-working" , RTF kit today that I bought off Ebay. $50 for a busted Genius missing two servos, charger, battery, new blades, and Devo 7.

First thing I did was test the tx with my Genius so I can relist it and get some of my cash back. The programming is so out of whack that the heli won't even lift off. (unless you flip to stunt mode - in which case it won't lift off till you drop the stick to -0-. Then it shoots up like a rocket. Decided to end that experiment before I wreck my baby. I'll erase the "new" tx and copy my program over to it before testing it again.

Next I turned to the heli. Other then the missing servos and broken tail fin,(which I new about) I found a weak spot on the skid frame (big surprise ). After transplanting two servos from my good Genius I installed a battery and powered up.

It lifted off, but it was like trying to balance a top, and would randomly take a dive every 10 seconds. Took a closer look and all the adjustments on the board were maxed out in one direction or the other. Set every thing to 50% and gave it another go.

This time everything went well until I flipped into stunt mode and the heli started shaking violently. Either a bent shaft or I noticed there's a ton of slop in the feathering shaft. Took the entire shaft / swash / head from the good Genius and donated it. Spooled up again and all is perfect now. I happen to have a new feathering shaft and a whole head assembly if needed. So I'll see if that's the problem, otherwise I'll order a shaft and a set of servos and I've got myself a second Genius.

If I can get $40 for the tx that should cover the servos and shaft. I also picked up a case from Harbor freight yesterday on sale for $22. I'll post pics later.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
New head cleared it all up. Also, Harbor Freight has padded cases on sale right now for $22. I picked one up on Sun and fit my two Genius and my Devo 7 in it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
I was doing some more gyro testing today in high wind and it seems I was wrong with what I posted before. I think the transmitted gyro sensitivity affects all the gyros, not just the tail.

The effect was much more noticeable when I started playing with the gyro pots on the RX board. I'm still not 100% sure what these do compared to the transmitted gyro sensitivity. Could one set how strong the gyros hold and the other acts like a "rate" setting that lowers the sensitivity with more stick input? (I'm basing my theories on my quad experience so I have no idea if I'm even close)

PS. flying these little CP heli's with lots of wind is not fun. Sometimes a strong gust would come through making it drop 4 or 5 feet and it did not have the power to recover very well. I spent more time trying to recover from the altitude changes than actually flying.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Last edited by LittleMo; Dec 19, 2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
As best as I could decifer from the manual, it seems adjusting the pots on the board will increase or decrease the servo response time to stick input. I haven't messed with them yet except on the "new" one I got which I just set them all to 50% because they were all over the place.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,967 Posts
Trick to flying in wind is to keep moving. The faster the better. The helicopter handles like an airplane then and moves up and down faster by pulling back on the stick. It actually doesn't matter any more if there's wind or not when I go flying
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
I still like wind flying with 911 better. Less repair time.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:27 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
I still like wind flying with 911 better. Less repair time.
I rarely fly my v911s any more. The v939 more often. I did steal a main motor from one of my 911s for my Genius last night though. (Both of my Genies are running 911 motors now.) One has a 911 boom on it as well. When I fry a tail motor I'll try to swap one off those also.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
I rarely fly my v911s any more. The v939 more often. I did steal a main motor from one of my 911s for my Genius last night though. (Both of my Genies are running 911 motors now.) One has a 911 boom on it as well. When I fry a tail motor I'll try to swap one off those also.
Are you finding that the V911 motor works OK?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Are you finding that the V911 motor works OK?
I only have 2 flights on each heli since I swapped out the motors. Initial impressions are good though. Running a 300 mah 25c battery it had plenty of power. Reacted quickly to pitch pumps. It was dark so I was only able to fly indoors, this weekend I hope to take them out and really open them up. I kind of wish I still had a Genius motor in one of them to compare but I happen to lose both mains the same day. Give it a week or so to get 20-30 flights on each and I'll let you know: good /bad.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Sounds good. I'd like to try a Bravo SX motor in the GCP too.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:41 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Sounds good. I'd like to try a Bravo SX motor in the GCP too.
I was thinking the same thing. They get mixed reviews when using them in the v911, but we have much better batteries available for the Genius. I think the 911 batteries just don't have enough punch for the sx motor. The Bravo motor costs the same a Genius motor though ($9-$10). The v911 motor can be had for $5. I ordered 2 from T-Mart USA today. I have an entire v911 tail boom and motor sitting in my tool box that I'm going to try when one of my Genies fries the tail motor. You can get 3 complete tails (sans fins) from AliExpress for the price of 1 Genius tail.

BTW: If you try a 911 motor, put a drop of glue on the pinion before pushing it into the motor shaft. I had one slip off twice today. Luckily I was indoors over a nice clean wood floor or I would have never found it.
Last edited by Budasac; Dec 21, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:28 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
834 Posts
So what is the difference in pinions ie. 911, 260a, SX, versus stock GCP pinion?
Can you use the pinions that come with these motors or should one replace them with the G pinion?
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
So what is the difference in pinions ie. 911, 260a, SX, versus stock GCP pinion?
Can you use the pinions that come with these motors or should one replace them with the G pinion?
Besides having a different number of teeth(7 on the 911 vs 9 on the GCP), the Genius gear is much larger.

Here is a pic of the v911 pinion gear resting atop the Genius gear.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1356139066291.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 43.2 KB
Description:
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:34 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
834 Posts
AH, Thanks for the visual, and the explanation. So it is to change pinions when using another motor in the G, I see.
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:33 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Jakarta
Joined Nov 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Besides having a different number of teeth(7 on the 911 vs 9 on the GCP), the Genius gear is much larger.

Here is a pic of the v911 pinion gear resting atop the Genius gear.
Attachment 5388221
is v911 tail boom fits genius cp??i had spare of solopro v2 tail boom which is identically same with 911 and it still loose a bit,are you adding something to make it fit or just plug and play? thanks
valestrife is offline Find More Posts by valestrife