Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
For now I'm just going to get a few spare parts that seem to need replacing on all helis: like the frame (skids), canopy , tail, etc.
Most common damage so far are the landing skids, and motor. Buy a couple of main motors as backups because they're the first ones to break... actually, you may burn up all three motors before you need to replace anything else.

My canopy looks like crap, but still serviceable. It may look fine in the pic, but the underside is shredded. The thing abut it is that the holes for the legs have corners. And everytime you hit something, the legs push against it and a split eventually forms. Use a soldering iron to burn a hole at the tip of the split and it should stop it from spreading further. Then use tape to hold it together on the inside of the canopy. Even after several hard crashes, the nose is still dent free, the only damage you really can get is the split that grows from those leg holes.

You can see a hole in my lower canopy in the pic

That's a pretty big split that started out as a little one, i burned a hole in front of it and it hasn't gotten any bigger since.

Quote:
How do you guys like the Devo 7? It's only $138 for the Genius CP w/ the Devo 7. I wanted to get a Devo so I could buy some other BNFs. I know the Devo 7 is the cheapest in that line of TXs, is it any good? Or am I going to want to upgrade it soon? I saw it stores 15 models, so I figured I would be all set with Walkera stuff.
It's good enough. Everything you need to fly is in it. And even has a seventh channel for you to attach gadgets to (bomb bay doors, camera switches, fireworks launchers, provided the heli's big enough to carry them). The only bad part about it is the interface. The thing is a PITA to learn and setup, especially for someone that's never flown a heli before.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
If add up what a set of servos, main motor, main gear,swash,head,blades,frame,spare batteries and tail set cost, you start to get close to a bnf.

The reason not to get the devo 7 is if you think you want to load custom firmware to control spectrum or other brand birds. Then the devo 8/10 is a good idea.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
846 Posts
Lars, so your saying the Devo 7 will not accept this firmware?
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:24 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
If add up what a set of servos, main motor, main gear,swash,head,blades,frame,spare batteries and tail set cost, you start to get close to a bnf.

The reason not to get the devo 7 is if you think you want to load custom firmware to control spectrum or other brand birds. Then the devo 8/10 is a good idea.
I just want a Devo so I can try some Walkera birds. I was going to grab a 9x for my V911s and quads and then I figured I could get a DSM module for it if I wanted.

I think I'll pull the trigger on this tonight. $138 seems reasonable for the package.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:48 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
I ended up ordering frm Walkera on Ebay. Oomodel.com wanted $38 shipping. The price on Ebay was $30 more but free shipping. So I saved $8 and it'll be here on Tues.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,991 Posts
I got impatient waiting for the parts from eHirobo so i went over to the local hobby shop (yes, the same guys i bought the 450parts that didn't fit) and bought a tail motor from them. The thing about it tho is that the tail blade was split in two so they game me another tail blade. I did wonder what kind of force it had been subjected to have a tail blade break.

So i changed the tail section, plugged in the batteries, and powered it up. The heli started spinning uncontrollably, it seems the tail motor wasn't spinning. So powered it down while i tried to figure out what was going on.

Then all of a sudden thick smoke started coming out of the canopy and it was lighting up. The thing actually caught fire!

Aw come on!!! Seriously??? Can anybody explain what happened? What was the part that burned up???
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I got impatient waiting for the parts from eHirobo so i went over to the local hobby shop (yes, the same guys i bought the 450parts that didn't fit) and bought a tail motor from them. The thing about it tho is that the tail blade was split in two so they game me another tail blade. I did wonder what kind of force it had been subjected to have a tail blade break.

So i changed the tail section, plugged in the batteries, and powered it up. The heli started spinning uncontrollably, it seems the tail motor wasn't spinning. So powered it down while i tried to figure out what was going on.

Then all of a sudden thick smoke started coming out of the canopy and it was lighting up. The thing actually caught fire!

Aw come on!!! Seriously??? Can anybody explain what happened? What was the part that burned up???
82C5A
Z1132
Above are part numbers on the chip.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
Big Island of Hawaii
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Quote:

It's impossible to put magic smoke back into those things!

RD
rldeveer is offline Find More Posts by rldeveer
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldeveer View Post
It's impossible to put magic smoke back into those things!

RD
i can ;-)
addifromgermany is offline Find More Posts by addifromgermany
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:02 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,664 Posts
Quote:

Sounds from your description and looks from the photo as though the tail motor had a direct short in it that fried the FET on the PCB.

Impatience can be expensive...learn from your mistakes. I paid a lot for my formal education, but my informal education (life) has cost me some but I've learned much more in a practical way from the informal side of the equation.

Looks like it's time for a new RX for your Genius.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,991 Posts
Is there still a point to buying a new rx? A new rx plus one servo costs as much as a new helicopter. Any chance I could get the hobby store to pay for it?

Yeah, the mistake was continuing to buy from them after already screwing me over twice before. It's better to wait three weeks for parts rather than buy from an LHS.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,991 Posts
The price of a new board is about the same as a brand new BNF. I did find someone selling his. Apparently, it's his 2nd GeniusCP but has barely flown it because he's switched over to mini and master CPs. I'm inclined to believe him because the landing vertical fin, skids, and canopy, especially the part where the front legs go through the canopy, look shiny.

The thing is, when he was flying it, it flew straight, but when i bound it to my TX, it kept tilting left. When i checked his TX, the settings on it looked like it was setup by someone used to flying a larger heli... he apparently had little experience with programmable transmitters and had someone else set it up. Oh well.

This morning i finally figured out why it kept going left (A lot more than my first one to account for the tail rotor). It seems the servo horns weren't level, as in i had to unscrew one of the horns and move it one notch down. Blades weren't level, some issue with blade tracking, and the frame was shaking (I now understand what you guys meant by checking by holding by the canopy mounts and running the motor at low speed, my first GCP was smooth compared to this).

I spent the entire morning tuning the heli and i think i got most of the vibration out. I can't believe it went out of the factory like this.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Nov 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,991 Posts
I think he glued the main gear
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:17 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,991 Posts
Still couldn't figure out why it's shaking. It's apparently so bad that it's messing up the gyro and causing the tail to wobble. Blade tracking is a knife edge, a slight grinding on one side when i spin it but that can be attributed to a worn main gear, my old one felt grinded all around it.

I finally just disconnected the servo links and swapped the entire head, swash, shaft and main gear with the one from the burned out heli. Shakes are now gone, tail is solid, and flies really smooth. How do i check which part has a problem?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:27 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Shaft warped? Lay and roll on glass flat surface and roll.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa