SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:23 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,167 Posts
Yes i have a can of silicon spray i use for lubrication. Spray a bit on the cap, and use a cotton bug to apply it where needed. And one thing i do when screwing in the motor is to apply pressure against the side as i tighten the screw to move it in very small increments so that you can just barely move the main wheel while you hold the pinion very still.

I really don't get what the paper is for, you can't use it to maintain a gap because even if the gears were too tight, you'd still be able to run a paper through it anyway.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:29 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Ok I just replaced my main motor for the umpteenth time, but this time I noticed something unusual... I was doing some nice full speed passes and I noticed she would start to wobble, but not do it when going much slower, is this an indication of blade stall? (Going too fast?)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:48 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
959 Posts
Hi I am thinking of doing the benmlee mod where you trim the foam pad the sits under the receiver to cure the drift caused by the vibration that is picked up by the pad. Can anyone tell me where I can obtain another pad or something else I could use in case I screw this up.
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:13 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Hi I am thinking of doing the benmlee mod where you trim the foam pad the sits under the receiver to cure the drift caused by the vibration that is picked up by the pad. Can anyone tell me where I can obtain another pad or something else I could use in case I screw this up.
Just use some gyro mounting tape or foam.

Scotch 4011, etc.. is good for the job.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:04 PM
Certified Heli Addict
Joined Apr 2011
959 Posts
Thaaaaank you
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:20 AM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Honestly I think you are better just switching it to 3ax mode. It flies more consistently.

Anyone interested in making an offer on new gcp parts: 2 servos and some main blades? Additionally I'll throw in the whole heli with used parts, many of which are good like the servos and main gear/shaft. It has a blown motor or main board and the rest is pretty worn out.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:39 AM
Certified Heli Addict
Joined Apr 2011
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Honestly I think you are better just switching it to 3ax mode. It flies more consistently.

Anyone interested in making an offer on new gcp parts: 2 servos and some main blades? Additionally I'll throw in the whole heli with used parts, many of which are good like the servos and main gear/shaft. It has a blown motor or main board and the rest is pretty worn out.
I just want to say thank you as I have taken your advice and now fly in 3 axis mode, the drift problem is gone and it flies great!
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:51 AM
Certified Heli Addict
Joined Apr 2011
959 Posts
Anyone try the xtreme auto rotation gear for the genius:http://www.wowhobbies.com/xtm-wgcp05...ageniuscp.aspx
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:25 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post

GCP parts are sold!
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:37 PM
Certified Heli Addict
Joined Apr 2011
959 Posts
Can anyone tell me the closest heli to fly to the genius or the V120DO2S that is in Real Flight. I'm thinking about geting a sim and learning 3D once and for all.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:03 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Anyone try the xtreme auto rotation gear for the genius:http://www.wowhobbies.com/xtm-wgcp05...ageniuscp.aspx
This is a gimmick.

The blades on this thing wouldn't spin long enough or with enough momentum to even do an autorotation from about 3 inches off the floor.

It's hard enough doing auto's on a 450 which is much bigger. A 550 and up are where they are most useful.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:51 AM
Certified Heli Addict
Joined Apr 2011
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
This is a gimmick.

The blades on this thing wouldn't spin long enough or with enough momentum to even do an autorotation from about 3 inches off the floor.

It's hard enough doing auto's on a 450 which is much bigger. A 550 and up are where they are most useful.
Well it was the beefier/thicker main that caught my eye and the fact that the original main costs $5.25 vs this main gear replacement at $2.49 Plus the fact that Xtreme makes them so it could be made from delrin. I bought a set with 3 extra main gears. Even if it can't auto, I've saved some money. Will let you know how it goes.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:31 PM
Big Island of Hawaii
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post
Marty, if you're referring to the Hyperion G3 CX 320 mAh, it won't fit. It's too wide.

Here are the batteries that I've tried, from left to right in the photo below:
  • Stock 200 mAh battery
  • Hyperion G3 CX 240 mAh
  • ZIPPY 350 mAh
  • Hyperion G3 CX 320 mAh

The Zippy 350 is the largest you'll be able to fit without trimming away a pair of struts inside the battery compartment. That Hyperion 320 won't fit even after trimming those away.
I modified a Mini skid to accept the Hyp 320 by heating a pair of needle nose and applying pressure outward. Work it slowly and it will widen. Then remove the lateral ribs and it will clamp on to a Hyp 320.
RD
rldeveer is offline Find More Posts by rldeveer
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Hey,

i'd be really interested in that hack. What exactly is a needle nose? (bad english striking back ;P). Also, d you happen to have pictures of the mod?
Thanks!
ShellFish31 is offline Find More Posts by ShellFish31
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:06 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,167 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, i started flying outdoors with a handful of 350mah batteries. Getting four of them was kinda pointless tho since i only fly twice a day (church parking lot in the morning and afternoon, i no longer fly at home).

Since i started doing it tho, i've been flying really fast figure eights across the parking lot and orientation is no longer much of an issue. Tho i do pull back on the stick anytime i think i'm starting to lose control. What's surprising is that the motor is now two weeks old and it's still alive. But then again, at only twice a day it's really not getting as much use.

Some observation, that i think may apply on the 450 i have in the corner once is start flying that.

- The rudder does not work when you're moving forward. You really learn to bank during fast forward flight because the tail motor really can't seem to overpower the windmill effect. When you slow down, only then would the helicopter suddenly turn into the direction you were trying to earlier. Like when you slow down during a banked turn, the helicopter will suddenly turn and you end up doing either a nose in or a tail in funnel. If i do a rudder turn and the heli doesn't respond, i quickly stop and turn the rudder the other way to internally straighten out the gyro before i start banking. I've learned to only use the rudder when i'm hovering.

The first few times i lost orientation and tried to do tail in, i crashed the heli when the tail wouldn't turn. That's when i went back to orientation practice because i realized i can no longer rely on being able to go tail-in when i'm outdoors.

- Ironically, orientation seems to be easier when you're doing forward flight. When you're hovering, you need to be aware of the helis exact orientation so you can keep it in one spot. During forward flight, the heli *always* straightens up, and any time you want to stop, you just pull straight back on the elevator and it will stop instantly, there's barely any Aileron.

- Only time i crashed aside from the rudder failure above is when the heli ran into a guy wire that was supporting the tower they used to winch statues onto floats.

- I still can't do a pirouette.

Lately tho, the tail seems to wag a lot and often spins out of control. Did the Gyro break down? Or is it just the tail motor dying?
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member