HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined May 2012
29 Posts
Hey.

thanks alot! Did help, but motor doesn't fit ;(. http://tinyurl.com/8d53lor just would've been too cool though, no? :P
ShellFish31 is online now Find More Posts by ShellFish31
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined May 2012
29 Posts
Hey,

i've just wanted to write a little warning to everyone - in the past days i've tried to get rid of tons of vibrations that made my GCP unflyable after changing the mainframe (i was dumb enough to *accidentally* glue the tailboom to the frame, so when my tailboom broke a few weeks later i couldn't get it out. Ordered new mainframe, built everything into the new one, checked every part so its still smooth, working, bearings good, etc.. I had the worst vibrations ever. So, turns out after a while of debugging, that i got a warped mainframe freshly out of the package *again*. Make this my third(!!) freshly bought heavily warped mainframe.

So, if anyone buys a new mainframe, take your time with a precision angle bracked to check the frame. Also look for hair-cracks near the base of the main-shaft-bearing-mount-pole. Especially check the flatness in the area of the motor-mount and check the angle of swash-plate-holding-pole and main-frame-bearing-mount-pole (oh gawds, having to invent those crazy bad terms since i don't know what its actually called -.-).

If i had did that it would've saved me a lot of trouble, so i thought sharing was no bad idea...

Regards
- ShellFish
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined May 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellFish31 View Post
Hey,

i've just wanted to write a little warning to everyone - in the past days i've tried to get rid of tons of vibrations that made my GCP unflyable after changing the mainframe (i was dumb enough to *accidentally* glue the tailboom to the frame, so when my tailboom broke a few weeks later i couldn't get it out. Ordered new mainframe, built everything into the new one, checked every part so its still smooth, working, bearings good, etc.. I had the worst vibrations ever. So, turns out after a while of debugging, that i got a warped mainframe freshly out of the package *again*. Make this my third(!!) freshly bought heavily warped mainframe.

So, if anyone buys a new mainframe, take your time with a precision angle bracked to check the frame. Also look for hair-cracks near the base of the main-shaft-bearing-mount-pole. Especially check the flatness in the area of the motor-mount and check the angle of swash-plate-holding-pole and main-frame-bearing-mount-pole (oh gawds, having to invent those crazy bad terms since i don't know what its actually called -.-).

If i had did that it would've saved me a lot of trouble, so i thought sharing was no bad idea...

Regards
- ShellFish
Hi there!
I have been having the same issue twice. In first case my pinion was too close to the main gear, there needs to be a little space between them, so you can just try to move motor a little. In second case,rotor head was bad. You can just remove it and see if it helps. If yes you can focus on rotor head and blades.
Mig_31 is offline Find More Posts by Mig_31
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
263 Posts
Hello
Can one of you help me with the dimension of the stock motor.

Thanks John
johnkielsen is offline Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined May 2012
29 Posts
Hey Mig_31,

i know that i have/had to set pinion/gear spacing correctly, and i also know that my head is/was okay, here's some images of the warped frame:
http://tmp.kanojo.de/geniuswarpedframe/

do you notice how the motor is bent outwards and backwards? That just can't be right (and on the frame the dealer sent me because this one is/was defective its true, straight and flat...). So from now on i'm going to check first before i go through the hassle of tinkering the components into a new frame ;P. 100% Frame Problem!

Regards
- ShellFish
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:54 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,624 Posts
@ShellFish32
What ESC are you using? How long have you had that brushless kit?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined May 2012
29 Posts
I do use the original brushless kit from Walkera that everyone hates (including me). Other than most i've got rid of the tailwag (*perfect* adjustment of everything, as the RPM is much higher with the brushless than with the brushed motor, and the tail motor is way less responsive than a brushed (brushless has more moving mass, hence its more inert) combined lead to the fact that every tiny vibration means tail-wag-havoc) and its flyable for me - even when not great. I've had that brushless kit for maybe 5 months now?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:48 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,624 Posts
Different case on my C05m. The stock tail actually held a lot more steady with the brushless motor than with the stock motor. And the thing ran cool. The problem is that the ESCs kept burning out!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:22 PM View Post
DLY
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while DLY edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined May 2012
29 Posts
Another thing i've just noticed: If replacing wires to the tail (brushless) motor, pay attention to impedance! I've replaced it with enmailled copper wire of the same thickness and had another bad tailwag - now i've used ISDN cable inner leads, works perfect again. Oo
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:39 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Got my GCP up and running today, it's been down for probably 2 months. Needed a new tail boom, tail motor, servo, and main motor. Luckily I already had a spare servo, however my tail boom assembly finally came in the other day and I fixed that and the servo today. Still waiting on the new main motor to get here (looks like tomorrow), but even with the worn motor on their now I flew it 10 times today hehe.

I love my GCP I just wish they weren't so high maintence!!! I go through a motor a month on average (Though I do usually fly it 10+ times a day when it's running ).
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I love my GCP I just wish they weren't so high maintence!!! I go through a motor a month on average (Though I do usually fly it 10+ times a day when it's running ).
10x a day for a month??? How the heck does it last so long???

I actually got my package today. I go through so many of these motors i ordered three hoping i won't need to make another order for a month!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined May 2012
29 Posts
That thing with the motor somehow doesn't sound right. could you tell us what exact motor, esc, pinion, and pitch angles you are using?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,624 Posts
All stock. All settings are copied right off what was printed on the A4 manual. First motor was dead within 3 days, a week later, got a replacement motor and that was dead within three days. Last motor was so hot, the frame melted.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined May 2012
29 Posts
All stock, so still the brushed motor? Theres two things you can check right away - first is taking off the main gear off the main shaft, and check whether everything in the head runs smooth without any resistance (also add a drop of good, fine-mechanics oil on all bearings ;P). If everythings smooth there check the play between the main gear and the motor pinion: you need juuust a tad of play between those, if its really tight you're putting too much load on the motor which would explain the temperature problems. For big helis people put a piece of paper between the two gears and push them tightly against each other, then re-fasten the motor. You are looking for some just-barely-visible play. Hold the pinion tight with one or two fingers, then try to move the main gear. you need to see a little tinsy teensy bit of play there.

Hope i didn't repeat know things for you ;P.

Regards

... also let the motor cool between flights ;P Its brushed