HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
389 Posts
I have been really enjoying my Genius since receiving and replacing the main motor after having had the elevator servo pull the positive wire out from the very base. Be sure to look at the routing of those main motor wires when you crash, If I had I would have saved a parts order

I just ordered another Exceed xh100 rebranded Genius from Xheli for 116 (and free shipping no less!). I figured the parts contained are worth far more than that and I get a backup tx too! 3 servos, main motor, tail motor, swash, frame, canopy, etc... I know there are many other new Walkera's on the horizon and I do have my eye on a v120d02s and/or maybe a mini cp but I just couldn't resist.

The addiction continues!

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:02 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,262 Posts
Just got mine today and it's a lot harder to fly than the v911. Also finding it to be more dangerous. The head speed seems faster and the blades really can cut you.

Also, for some reason, the blades seem to have more mass since i've observed that they spin quite a bit longer even with the motor off. Also, even tho i turn off the motor when i'm about to crash. The main gear will still tend to fly off.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I have crashed into myself a few times with my GCP, hasn't cut me yet...
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Oct 2010
229 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I've been noticing shorter and shorter flights on one of my stock (brushed) Geniuses. We're talking like 2 minutes with low power, then hardly enough power to lift off. If I let it sit there for 10 seconds, I can get a bit more flight time, but like I said, it's lackluster, at best. I figured that the new motor I had installed was a dud, so I installed another new main motor--same thing. I replaced the power wires and micro deans to the rx, no change. The main shaft collar and the main gear have not slipped. There is equal pitch, positive and negative.

I started swapping parts around between this one and my Devo Genius, and now they both seem to do the same thing.

To try to eliminate the variable of a bad battery, I tried OmegaRedisDman's batteries, and had the same result. Most of my batteries might be considered over the hill, but I've got a battery that is much newer, the battery that came with my Ladybird. It flies just the same, and this same battery powers my Ladybird just fine, long flight time, plenty of punch, etc.

OmegaRed's Genius is doing the same thing, and I gotta think that all 3 are all having the same issue. On a WAG, I swapped the tail motor, even though the old one seemed to be spinning just fine--no change.

I'm pretty sure it's a power issue, as I can hear the head speed falling. What are we missing here?

Thanks,

Frustrated in Austin
I would check all wiring. The first suspect would be the wire going to the battery conne ctor right near where it joins the connector. If it's kinked, there could be frayed wires inside - and you might want to snip the bad part off and replace the connector and bad wire section.

If you want to get ambitious, you could replace your connectors with Micro Deans. I did this a while back...it was a big job but I haven't had power loss issues since.
Mickmeister is offline Find More Posts by Mickmeister
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:30 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Just got mine today and it's a lot harder to fly than the v911. Also finding it to be more dangerous. The head speed seems faster and the blades really can cut you.

Also, for some reason, the blades seem to have more mass since i've observed that they spin quite a bit longer even with the motor off. Also, even tho i turn off the motor when i'm about to crash. The main gear will still tend to fly off.
It's a big step from self stabilizing FP to CP. The head speed is almost twice that of the V911, and the Genius will also have much higher forward speed as there is no flybar trying to slow the heli down to a full stop and stable hover. Take it easy on the sticks, if possible fly in big area, and learn to cut throttle instead of slamming the gas stick down, in case of an imminent crash. A CP has negative pitch on the lower section of the gas stick, so you will only cause the heli to crash even harder.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:

Take some sandpaper and lightly sand the very sharp edges of the blades then they can't cut you.. It still hurts just no blood leaking out..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:47 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
yeah the GCP is totally different from V911..perhaps u should get a super FP first..
leonggyooi is offline Find More Posts by leonggyooi
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:31 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Nah super fp its a waste of money...imo lol
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
4,262 Posts
Can anybody point me to an explanation on what each button does? What does the rotating knob do, why the 3d switch and trainer have three points, etc. Devo7 manual only shows where the menus are but not what they're for.

What's the proper procedure when you're about to crash? I'm not using 3d mode but just turning down the throttle stick is not enough? I'm still learning how to hover so it's only a few inches off the ground. Hopefully it's just a matter of putting in the hours.

I still have to go through the thread but 600 pages? Ouch. Gonna be a long day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Nah super fp its a waste of money...imo lol
investment ma...LOL
leonggyooi is offline Find More Posts by leonggyooi
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
I had my Exceed for a few weeks now. I can only hover inside, but if I take it to the Park I can turn it loose. I fly the boring V911 in between to let the Genius cool. I totaled my landing skids, and spent more then one hour replacing the main frame. I did the wire mod to the new landing skid.. hope it works. The biggest, most important thing I learned is to activate the throttle hold. No more hard crashes.. I set up my Genius for easy flying, but already I am cranking up the settings, and look forward to learning to do some simple 3d soon. I like it!
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,262 Posts
I notice that in order to get the heli to stay still, i had to turn rudder trim all the way to the right. Is there a way to adjust it so i don't have to use so much trim?

Hmm... from what google says, it seems to be some sort of software glitch. I'll try the 'fix' after i charge the batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Aug 19, 2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:27 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,875 Posts
Quote:

What's the proper procedure when you're about to crash? I'm not using 3d mode but just turning down the throttle stick is not enough? I'm still learning how to hover so it's only a few inches off the ground. Hopefully it's just a matter of putting in the hours.

I still have to go through the thread but 600 pages? Ouch. Gonna be a long day.
Proper procedure when about to crash is to hit throttle cut switch. This will cut the motor, and most damage occurs when hitting things with blades still spinning. Should you simply slam the throttle stick down, like you are used to when flying a FP, you will make the heli crash even harder as a CP has negative pitch on the lower part of the throttle stick range.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:41 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4,262 Posts
I found the throttle cut, turns out the switch on the upper left is disabled by default. I noticed the pitch on that is -5. Should i set it to 0? Is there a reason the default is at -5 if it will slam the helicopter into the ground?

I tried the fix and the rudder is back to normal, that was quite a glitch.

I'm now hovering within a one meter area but i found myself sweating a lot afterwards. I've had a couple more cuts so i've got a pretty good incentive not to crash.

I still don't get what the twist knob on the upper left is for.

And i'm trying to configure dual rates but there're 4 positions in the settings, but the D/R switch is only two positions.

The D/R is the equivalent of the indoor/outdoor toggle on the v911, correct?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Aug 19, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
The genius cp is anti-crash, could hardly find any other helicopter can do so good
desverity is offline Find More Posts by desverity