HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
If the helicopter drifts in 6ax just tilt the rx board on the foam. It should tilt nose up and left a bit when on flat ground. That is because when flying, the helicopter doesn't fly straight. The board must be parallel to the ground in flight. Don't mod the mounting board. By the time you get annoyed enough with 6ax, you'll switch to 3ax.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 03:11 AM
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
By the time you get annoyed enough with 6ax, you'll switch to 3ax.
I tried the 3 axis and I don't like it. I'll retry later on.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old May 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
V120D02S, GCP
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
6axis is great for learning hovering and certain flight maneuvers. The helicopter rotor disk follows the cyclic relative to the ground. Let go of the cyclic and the disk goes parallel to the ground (if adjusted correctly). In 3 axis the disk follows the cyclic relative to the helicopter. Let go of the cyclic and the disk goes parallel to the skids.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
6axis is great for learning hovering and certain flight maneuvers. The helicopter rotor disk follows the cyclic relative to the ground. Let go of the cyclic and the disk goes parallel to the ground (if adjusted correctly). In 3 axis the disk follows the cyclic relative to the helicopter. Let go of the cyclic and the disk goes parallel to the skids.
That's why I like the 6 axis mode. It's like the 4 channel heli. The 3 axis mode I guess functions like the elevator on a real airplane, which is completely foreign to me and other 4 channel heli pilots.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
V120D02S, GCP
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
I get that too coming from a $30 coax. The CP just moves so much quicker that it takes time to tune to it. You'll be able to switch to 3 axis when the heli stops getting away from you. At the point you can hover it in front of your nose without really thinking about it and fly in all directions 3 or 6 axis won't matter much. In 6 axis will eventually become annoying with fast forward flight as it keeps trying to stop. The transition will be pretty easy, so it doesn't matter at this point.
I've only been flying since feb. This morning I was practicing inverted flight in the back yard. Im fading it's not enough room. I have lots of trees. I have no trouble with flips and rolls on the sim. A little tougher in real life lol. Anyway, my point is even with very part time practice, skills will come pretty quick with these micros.
Last edited by LarsDennert; May 13, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Quote:
The transition will be pretty easy
I really hope you're right.

Break

My tail motor seems like it may go bad at any time. Sometimes the shaft will wiggle. I noticed that the NE Bravo SX tail motor is the same size. Has anyone tried using other tail motors? I have it in my parts inventory, intended for my Solo Pro 270. It's dirt cheap at 2.99. When my tail motor finally goes out, I'm ready to try it.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
My tail rotor finally went bad from all the crashing. The good news is that the NE Bravo SX tail motor worked. I'm airborne again. So, if you're ever at myrcmart.com, you should pick up a Bravo SX tail set for $2.99. The dimensions of the motor are the same, but you cannot use the tail boom, which is approximately 1.76 mm, and the tail motor holder. You can only use the tail motor. That's not bad for $2.99.
Old May 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
987 Posts
Hopefully somebody can help me with this.....I have a cb100 I bought about a year ago that I don't fly anymore. I bought the wowhobbies upgrade tail assembly (with 2.9g motor) for the cb100 at one point and am thinking about trying to use that for the tail on my gcp which already has the brushless main upgrade (also from wowhobbies) in the hopes of making the tail hold a bit more solid. Is this worth doing first of all?

Also, does the tail esc that comes stock on the cb100 have the built in signal converter so they can talk to the gcp rx's brushed esc? I no longer have the shrinkwrap on them and don't know what I did with it so I'm not sure what the exact model # is for the esc's.

One other question is about the tail rotor...do I use the stock gcp tail blade or the cb100 tail blade? I'm thinking the smaller gcp tail blade is the way to go since it would be able to spin up faster than the larger cb100 tail blade.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Last edited by candy76man; May 17, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:16 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Hopefully somebody can help me with this.....I have a cb100 I bought about a year ago that I don't fly anymore. I bought the wowhobbies upgrade tail assembly (with 2.9g motor) for the cb100 at one point and am thinking about trying to use that for the tail on my gcp which already has the brushless main upgrade (also from wowhobbies) in the hopes of making the tail hold a bit more solid. Is this worth doing first of all?

Also, does the tail esc that comes stock on the cb100 have the built in signal converter so they can talk to the gcp rx's brushed esc? I no longer have the shrinkwrap on them and don't know what I did with it so I'm not sure what the exact model # is for the esc's.

One other question is about the tail rotor...do I use the stock gcp tail blade or the cb100 tail blade? I'm thinking the smaller gcp tail blade is the way to go since it would be able to spin up faster than the larger cb100 tail blade.
The ESC for the tail is an LT on the CB100 like the one you are using for the main on the GCP. Some mains on the CB100 are LTC which is the same as the LT except for the plugs, have to change the plugs. What tail rotor would require testing to see what works best. Even the servo gears are the same from the CB100 that work on the V120D02S.
http://www.oomodel.com/v120d02s-serv...g-p-62638.html
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old May 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
The ESC for the tail is an LT on the CB100 like the one you are using for the main on the GCP. Some mains on the CB100 are LTC which is the same as the LT except for the plugs, have to change the plugs. What tail rotor would require testing to see what works best. Even the servo gears are the same from the CB100 that work on the V120D02S.
http://www.oomodel.com/v120d02s-serv...g-p-62638.html
Thanks, so I should be able to use the cb100 tail esc on the gcp, just have to run the single white wire to the rx instead of all three correct?

Are you sure about the difference between the LT and LTC versions?.... I had read elsewhere that the difference is the LTC basicly runs at a higher frequency than the LT which results in more precise control of motor speed and thats why they are used for the tail motors. I'm not saying your wrong about it just being a difference in connectors but I'm curious if you know that for a fact or not.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:47 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Thanks, so I should be able to use the cb100 tail esc on the gcp, just have to run the single white wire to the rx instead of all three correct?

Are you sure about the difference between the LT and LTC versions?.... I had read elsewhere that the difference is the LTC basicly runs at a higher frequency than the LT which results in more precise control of motor speed and thats why they are used for the tail motors. I'm not saying your wrong about it just being a difference in connectors but I'm curious if you know that for a fact or not.
Yes just single white wire. As far as one running at a higher frequency I don't know. It's been awhile since I converted to BL & I also no longer have the shrinkwrap on them. But I know either 1 of my 3 GCP's or my V100D08 has the LTC on it & they all fly great. V100D08 stunk with the brushed motor on it. Had only around a 3 minute run time before it crapped out. Put a HP05 S on it I pulled off of 1 of my CB100, easy run time of 5 minutes & tail doesn't blow out at all.
Crash Survivor is online now Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old May 19, 2012, 10:37 AM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
Yes just single white wire. As far as one running at a higher frequency I don't know. It's been awhile since I converted to BL & I also no longer have the shrinkwrap on them. But I know either 1 of my 3 GCP's or my V100D08 has the LTC on it & they all fly great. V100D08 stunk with the brushed motor on it. Had only around a 3 minute run time before it crapped out. Put a HP05 S on it I pulled off of 1 of my CB100, easy run time of 5 minutes & tail doesn't blow out at all.
I got it finished up and flew some today...I'm finding that the stock cb100 tail prop holds better than the gcp tail prop.....still lets the tail blow out too easily though and really not much better than the stock tail did in that regard. Another down side is my batteries are leveling off at a lower voltage with the addition of the 2.9g tail motor so head speed and power is lower after the first minute or so of flight than before.

Not sure if I'm gonna keep the bl tail on at this point....only real advantage I can see is longevity, brushless motors pretty much keep going until the bearings are shot, as long as you don't overheat em.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:31 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
I have been flying and crashing the GCP (with C05 BL) for several months and I never replaced the main frame. I just kept using hot glue and wire reinforcement on the landing gear. Recently, I noticed tail blowouts and I could not figure out why. I thought perhaps the tail motor was wearing out (still original) and I was getting desperate, even considering buying another Rx.

I noticed that there was a bit more flexibility to the main frame mid-section when I compared to my other much less flown stock GCP. It turns out that some maneuvers in flight would actually cause too much play to momentarily occur between the pinon and main gear and the brief disengagement would cause the tail to behave badly. Once I finally replaced the main frame, all was well again.

It turns out there was a small (3mm) crack that had developed laterally across the main frame with its center right in front of the main shaft holder. It was just enough to make the main frame just flimsy enough to cause the intermittent gear mesh problem. I suspect if the frame is smacked enough times, this is probably a typical crack propagation point.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old May 22, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2012
342 Posts
genious to mini cp body

I am halfway done with doing a conversion on my genious to a mini cp frame. All i am doing is changing everything over to the mini cp body, skids and servo holder. So far, all i have left is to find a way to hold the reciever as there is nothing in the mini body to hold a forward facing horizontal receiver. On that note, does the genious receiver HAVE to face forward and lay flat to function right? Or can i mount it another way such as vertical?
Jon.M.Barter is offline Find More Posts by Jon.M.Barter
Old May 22, 2012, 08:15 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon.M.Barter View Post
I am halfway done with doing a conversion on my genious to a mini cp frame. All i am doing is changing everything over to the mini cp body, skids and servo holder. So far, all i have left is to find a way to hold the reciever as there is nothing in the mini body to hold a forward facing horizontal receiver. On that note, does the genious receiver HAVE to face forward and lay flat to function right? Or can i mount it another way such as vertical?
check out these guys conversions starting at post 8397 on this page of this thread there are some good pictures of how they mounted the rx using the gcp's plate. I found I needed hotglue under mine as a gusset because a crash easily breaks it off the screws.
If you keep going the next 10 pages or so have posts about the conversion here and there including mine...it works great.

I'm not sure rather the gcp rx will work standing vertical.