HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:31 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Genius CP review

Thanks everyone for your generous offer to help me out on the purchase of a Walkera Genius to test and review.
I plan to buy the Walkera Devention Genius CP RTF with Devo 7 Programmable Transmitter.
I will test and review the Genius and the new Devo 7 TX. Also I will do a step by step setup guide for the Devo 7
and add it to my RX/TX setup sticky.
The review will be 100% stock out of the box and then with a BL conversion using the C05 motor or what ever BL motor is best for it.
I will check with Dkfuji to see what BL motor, ESC, and pinion to get.

I can place a preorder for the Genius CP/Devo 7 and if it comes in on time I should have it September 24th.
As soon as I get it I will start the first review of stock out of the box. Then once that is fully completed I will do a BL review.

If you start a new thread for this I will post my PayPal email in there. If not you can PM me and I will send you my PayPal address.

Thanks again!

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
2 Posts
Hello. I am interested Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP+ Devo 7
I have no doubt.Devo 7 has phoenix simulator interface with wire?...to practice.
Help,Please.
kitesoledad is offline Find More Posts by kitesoledad
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:52 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic k2 View Post
Well,lets get real here for a minuite,,you have seen the vids of the genius here and see it doing 3d ,you see how fast it can move from a stand still or hover and you know its a full 6 chan cp heli,,,,,,you have only been flying heli for 1 month and you think you are ready for the genius?,,,,its not gonna happen dude,,,you are gonna have to dumb it right down in the tx settings to make it fly more like a 4 chan fp and then tune her back up slowly as you get bored with the low settings ,,,it takes years to be automatic when controling a heli to the point where you can throw a cp around in a room without crashing,,,,,,its really not easy,,,,,any heli will break when you hit throttle hold and slam it into the ground at full pitch,im surprised its only the LG thats broken.
Alot of people have been breaking their mcpx's but they didnt have to..well at least as much. If they would look online for more "real" beginner settings (not manual settings) they would be able to fly it like a non auto correcting mellow fp heli. If they get those settings then durable heli's like these is a good next step after orientation training on a solopro,msr or even if they move carefully after a coaxle heli. Him like many others just didnt realize what he had setup in the tx.

I have made mine and others fly mellow like the MSR though of course with out its auto correct tendencies. It really is amazing what you can do with a computer tx and a tuff, light plastic heli...if they ask around before breaking the heli beyond repair.

Now with that said I think a lot of the beginner's that break their mcpx and now genius is they try to go to far to fast with advanced or just incorrect settings like what has happened with him.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 17, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Dec 2010
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Thanks everyone for your generous offer to help me out on the purchase of a Walkera Genius to test and review.
I plan to buy the Walkera Devention Genius CP RTF with Devo 7 Programmable Transmitter.
I will test and review the Genius and the new Devo 7 TX. Also I will do a step by step setup guide for the Devo 7
and add it to my RX/TX setup sticky.
The review will be 100% stock out of the box and then with a BL conversion using the C05 motor or what ever BL motor is best for it.
I will check with Dkfuji to see what BL motor, ESC, and pinion to get.

I can place a preorder for the Genius CP/Devo 7 and if it comes in on time I should have it September 24th.
As soon as I get it I will start the first review of stock out of the box. Then once that is fully completed I will do a BL review.

If you start a new thread for this I will post my PayPal email in there. If not you can PM me and I will send you my PayPal address.

Thanks again!

Tom
I will start a new thread because it will get buried in this one withing a few hours! I will title it "Tom Z Genius Review Contribution".
Ottawa919 is offline Find More Posts by Ottawa919
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,753 Posts
Quote:
Well,lets get real here for a minuite,,you have seen the vids of the genius here and see it doing 3d ,you see how fast it can move from a stand still or hover and you know its a full 6 chan cp heli,,,,,,you have only been flying heli for 1 month and you think you are ready for the genius?,,,,its not gonna happen dude,,,you are gonna have to dumb it right down in the tx settings to make it fly more like a 4 chan fp and then tune her back up slowly as you get bored with the low settings ,,,it takes years to be automatic when controling a heli to the point where you can throw a cp around in a room without crashing,,,,,,its really not easy,,,,,any heli will break when you hit throttle hold and slam it into the ground at full pitch,im surprised its only the LG thats broken.
There is zero evidence that the video in question is genuine. The footage is cut back and forth and there is no way to tell if it's the same heli crash after crash or if it's been repaired or replaced between frames. It's the internet, mate... I don't believe everything I see on the internet.

So far very few review are coming in and out of a handful of genuine owners, two of them broke parts and those who haven't happen to be well versed pilots. I don't think this heli is indestructible AT ALL. It's a marketing scheme, no less. It will break just like any other heli.

It's important to also note that they market this bird as a good choice for beginners since it has the super dooper gyro. I'll tell you what... Why don't you guys buy ME one of thes helis and I'll show you how quickly I can break it without even trying to...

Plus, two owners have reported that the 6 axis gyro has unwanted flaws. One of them can fix it with trims, the other cannot. That's not going to be helpful for a beginner....

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, here. It's just that you say "let's get real..." so this in a genuine effort to get real. If anyone wants to be in this hobby and thinks that this heli is the answer to the never ending flying/fixing cycle... I have news for ya. It's not. If you don't want to repair broken parts, don't buy this heli. Get into collecting stamps instead.
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:19 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
Hi Chris,
I have no doubt it will break....the thread title says "indestructible", no heli manufacturer would be silly enough to make that claim. It certainly does look considerably more "crash resistant" than most CPs.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,071 Posts
I agree. IMO the title should be changed for it to have any credability.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:32 AM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
No heli is indestructible. We all know that. The thread starter "DLY" only has 6 posts and all of them are about product. So I have to think he is a vendor or somehow related. Hasn't been heard from since...Hmmm. In a bigger picture thingy, it is a nice starter thread for the heli and it does catch your scanning internet eyes using the word "indestructible". LOL.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:34 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,025 Posts
Pascal

Very nice video

Was that the Devo 6? If so how do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capirex View Post
Hello everyone,

Just a short video, after opening the box

The heli is stock, as the settings

PASCAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OnUy...e_gdata_player
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
No heli is indestructible. We all know that. The thread starter "DLY" only has 6 posts and all of them are about product. So I have to think he is a vendor or somehow related. Hasn't been heard from since...Hmmm. .
His sentence structure reminded me of a specific overseas vendor that I know to have multiple accounts (goes by-viki,stewartwood,usasteele and a few company names)
If you look one other vendor started a similar thread but no reply hits that time....
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:41 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıbǝɹ
United States, FL, Lutz
Joined Sep 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
You're obviously correct. However, there IS the 6-axis mode, which Walkera is marketing towards beginner pilots. There's been speculation in this very thread that the 6-axis mode would dumb down the heli to the point that it'd be easy to fly, a bit like the sk720 rx (auto-leveling and requiring constant cyclic input to maintain a heading). Having flown the V120D01, which is very definitely dumbed down with it's virtual flybar, I thought I'd give the genius a shot, hoping that it'd have a similar level of stability and control in 6-axis mode. And... quickly learned that it's a very different little beast. ::shrug:: You live and you learn.

I now have a pitch curve setup that gives very little negative pitch; just enough to plant it firmly when lading/taking. I've also found that I prefer to fly it in the 3-axis mode with my ELE and AIL rates set to about 75%; it feels quite similar to my V100D01 when setup like this. The 6-axis mode has that left/backwards drift that others have mentioned that requires a significant amount of trim to balance out.

The 6-axis mode feels odd. I have an MSR, a v100D01 and a V120D02 and it doesn't really behave like any of them in this mode. It very definitely does NOT auto-level the heli, as others have speculated that it might; apply forward cyclic and the Genius will keep going forward until you apply the opposite cyclic or it hits the plasma television (at least within the confines of my living room). Once you manually park the heli in a given space (assuming it's trimmed out), it does a good job of sticking to that space and can even do slow pirouettes with very minimal cyclic input. The flight characteristics of the 6-axis mode just feel a little weird, tho and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Maybe someone with more experience can spend some time flying the Genius in 6-axis mode and break down exactly what it's doing?
ScottAllyn is offline Find More Posts by ScottAllyn
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2006
75 Posts
Thank you all,

I fly with a devo 7
This helicopter is the best 100!
Walkera Congratulations!
I love this helicopter is very solid and I confirm
I would do pictures and other video tomorrow

PASCAL
capirex is offline Find More Posts by capirex
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Vaca View Post
Hi Chris,
I have no doubt it will break....the thread title says "indestructible", no heli manufacturer would be silly enough to make that claim. It certainly does look considerably more "crash resistant" than most CPs.

regards,
Bill
True enough, Bill. I will order one soon, actually. I hope it will help me learn the ropes of CP flying with minimal repairs. But repairs WILL be needed. THAT, I have no doubt about.

I went with a 250 size belt driven heli for my first CP. While it has handled a beating with "flying grace," it's still a tad heavy for a beginner and the tail is comprised of so many parts. It involves more complicated troubleshooting when things don't fly right and the potential for damaging parts is tenfold.

I will make sure to post my own reviews of the Genius CP in this thread from the eyes of a beginner CP pilot.

Regards,

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capirex View Post
I would do pictures and other video tomorrow

PASCAL
Awesome... Now please do a few sports flying circuits when you video your flights for the beginner pilots watching this space.

Regards,

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
All three of us who have found the 6 axis mode funny have a 2801 BNF. We need some input from those who have the Devo version. There were no instructions at all the the 2801 BNF version.

DK states that the 2801 receiver has a balance delay pot yet the instructions for the Devo states it is a servo extent pot.

It is possible that the 2801 and Devo versions require different settings.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw