SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
63 Posts
anyone put the tele chip in the devo 8 yet? i want to know if tis hard to do...thank you
Thebettertwin is offline Find More Posts by Thebettertwin
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:59 PM
AMA# 548800
jombo's Avatar
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I finally got my order from OOmodel and that was the last time. I ordered a full V2 450 head only because it was red and unique. It showed up blue and my brushless FOR SALE $50 If I need to take it out of the box and test it $70 lol! Thats the mark up for quality control that they don't spend!




LOL , so i guess the GCP isint going so well
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:00 PM
Registered User
mhills51's Avatar
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,253 Posts
My GCP is fine, but you know me I have to many other projects going on and all the reports of the brushless conversion sounds like more work than I have time for. Been flying my genuis everyday
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Hastings
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso View Post
Thanks for the two replies, I have not replaced the wires, but have replaced the connector so I can use hyperions. I have checked that the wires are not coming loose. How would that affect the adjustment of the gyro pots as stated in my post. I simply want to know if the servo gyros stop responding when the pots are turned to zero as on mine they do not. The heli wobbles in the fore/aft plane, I can make it worse by turning the ELE pot above 50% but cannot change it below 50%.

In answer to the ESC/heat issue, I have the ESC on the side of the heli to get the C of G correct so not an issue here.

Thanks, Allan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I was thinking that your gyro's were acting funny like all mine will do if I'm flying to long as in low battery voltage,, same low battery voltage that the RX see's if you have a bunch of broken strands in the wires to the PCB which just about all of them will have. If the precautions are not taken... Which was why I had asked you if you have replaced them yet..

Thanks I'll go over the PCB and check it. But can someone answer my original question about whether turning the pots down to zero will stop the gyros responding completely, as mine does not. I dont think high resistance or low voltage will cause the symptoms I'm experiencing.
Alphonso is offline Find More Posts by Alphonso
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:13 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso View Post
Thanks for the two replies, I have not replaced the wires, but have replaced the connector so I can use hyperions. I have checked that the wires are not coming loose. How would that affect the adjustment of the gyro pots as stated in my post. I simply want to know if the servo gyros stop responding when the pots are turned to zero as on mine they do not. The heli wobbles in the fore/aft plane, I can make it worse by turning the ELE pot above 50% but cannot change it below 50%.

In answer to the ESC/heat issue, I have the ESC on the side of the heli to get the C of G correct so not an issue here.

Thanks, Allan.




Thanks I'll go over the PCB and check it. But can someone answer my original question about whether turning the pots down to zero will stop the gyros responding completely, as mine does not. I dont think high resistance or low voltage will cause the symptoms I'm experiencing.
So you are complaining that even with your pots turned all the way CCW that your heli can still fly??
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:39 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Hastings
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
So you are complaining that even with your pots turned all the way CCW that your heli can still fly??
Yes that's exactly the problem. The heli wobbles as if the gyros are too high. I just want to know if turning the pots CCW to minimum should stop the gyros from working. If that is the case then I can assume my RX is faulty as the pots do not work.
Alphonso is offline Find More Posts by Alphonso
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:10 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso View Post
Yes that's exactly the problem. The heli wobbles as if the gyros are too high. I just want to know if turning the pots CCW to minimum should stop the gyros from working. If that is the case then I can assume my RX is faulty as the pots do not work.
It's just that I hate to go messing with my pots to check. If you turn them CW does it make it worst?? say to 12:00 and then to 3:00 and then 5:00 can you feel any change?? It might be that you have gone to low and it's not over correcting but under correcting and to late making it wobbly.. Remember they are taking the place of the flybar,, have you ever tried to fly a flybar heli without one?? They wobble for a second just before the crash..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:21 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Hastings
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
There seems to be no difference when adjusting the pots below 12 oclock. If the pots are at zero surely it would not under correct as it should not correct at all. I have three other flybarless helis, 2 walkera and a gaui and all have no gyro response at zero.
Alphonso is offline Find More Posts by Alphonso
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:06 AM
Registered User
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
i replaced practically every part trying to find vibrations i was getting (almost used a hammer to fix it) but it turned out to be the blades. apparently even brand new blades aren't balanced that great at all. i took a tiny piece of black electrical tape (around 2x3mm) placed it under one of the blades and vibrations completely gone. i tried two new sets and both produced vibrations until i balanced them using some tape.
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Last edited by scub; Feb 02, 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:45 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
BarnOwl's Avatar
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scub View Post
i replaced practically every part trying to find vibrations i was getting (almost used a hammer to fix it) but it turned out to be the blades. apparently even brand new blades aren't balanced that great at all. i took a tiny piece of black electrical tape (around 2x3mm) placed it under one of the blades and vibrations completely gone. i tried two new sets and both produced vibrations until i balanced them using some tape.
How do you balance these tiny blades? I can only put them on a scale and match their weight of 1.7g..........
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Last edited by BarnOwl; Feb 02, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:42 AM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
How do you balance these tiny blades? I can only put them on a scale and match their weight of 1.7g..........
I don't know how others do it but I would just do the small piece of electrical tape as mentioned above...if one side doesn't decrease the vibration any then try it on the other side....not precise but should get the job done.

Also, sometimes just swapping the blades from one side to the other has solved vibration issues for me.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:58 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
BarnOwl's Avatar
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
I don't know how others do it but I would just do the small piece of electrical tape as mentioned above...if one side doesn't decrease the vibration any then try it on the other side....not precise but should get the job done.

Also, sometimes just swapping the blades from one side to the other has solved vibration issues for me.
Yes, I know how you fix it, but how do you balance these blades? I can find no good blade balancer for the Genius.
I have actually found a 1.5mm screw from a 450 about 2 cm long. I can use that between two boxes pretty good to balance the blades....

Actually I do not use tape, I sand off the blade that's heavier. Already made three good pairs like that. And you are right: It is an amazing difference!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
It's real cold here in the UK at the moment, at around 0 - 1C daytime temp.
Been out a few times today and noticed that the Genius has some odd flight characteristics in this weather, or am I just imagining this? It seems to bob around and present intermittent squirely behaviour. I crashed as a result.
Has anyone flown outdoors in freezing weather, if so how did it go?
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:07 AM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
It's real cold here in the UK at the moment, at around 0 - 1C daytime temp.
Been out a few times today and noticed that the Genius has some odd flight characteristics in this weather, or am I just imagining this? It seems to bob around and present intermittent squirely behaviour. I crashed as a result.
Has anyone flown outdoors in freezing weather, if so how did it go?
When it's cold the battery voltage drops, this in turn drives the gyro's nuts.. Preheat the battery in your shirt pocket. don't fly as long as you would when it's warm out.. The Hyperion 240's work best in the cold stock ones are useless..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
When it's cold the battery voltage drops, this in turn drives the gyro's nuts.. Preheat the battery in your shirt pocket. don't fly as long as you would when it's warm out.. The Hyperion 240's work best in the cold stock ones are useless..
Yeah, i've been using the Hyperion 240 and keeping them in my pocket until use. I also limited my flights to 4 mins as opposed to 5:30 indoors.

Very unpleasant flight characteristics in freezing weather any way. Wont be going back out with this until it warms up a touch.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion smallest lightest 10-12mp camera? cdi3d Aerial Photography 16 Apr 27, 2011 09:36 PM
Article Think Geek's MX-1 RTF Helicopter Review: Is it the World's smallest R/C helicopter? Michael Heer Coaxial Helicopters 27 Oct 29, 2008 08:43 AM
The lightest 3D belt driven micro electric helicopter in the world--------ELE Firefox ELE kiki Product Announcements 42 Aug 27, 2007 11:49 PM
Discussion ELE firefox-100, flying weight 180g-the lightest 3D helicopter in the world. ELERC Mini Helis 11 Jun 21, 2007 08:17 AM