SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneJohnstone View Post
Thanks for the info, sounds like good advice. Already have a Genius that I enjoy flying but it has a bit of an issue where it just suddenly loses power and drops out the sky, have tried the obvious Hyperion batteries, re soldering battery connector etc, so think it may be a motor or receiver problem?

That's why I was considering a second Genius to see if the problem was eliminated, however it sounds like the 120 may be the way to go and perhaps I will do the brushless upgrade on the existing Genius and hopefully that may solve that issue which will give me two good little helis to fly?
How about the TX? Are you transmitting at full power? I've tried turning mine down but when I fly out about as far as I can see well the heli drops as it loses signal.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneJohnstone View Post
Thanks for the info, sounds like good advice. Already have a Genius that I enjoy flying but it has a bit of an issue where it just suddenly loses power and drops out the sky, have tried the obvious Hyperion batteries, re soldering battery connector etc, so think it may be a motor or receiver problem?

That's why I was considering a second Genius to see if the problem was eliminated, however it sounds like the 120 may be the way to go and perhaps I will do the brushless upgrade on the existing Genius and hopefully that may solve that issue which will give me two good little helis to fly?
I had this problem with my 03 brushless motor. Sometimes but not all the time it would lose power and drop but always in the first 30 seconds of a fresh battery, after one drop it would fly 5 more minutes just fine. I found that increasing the throttle curve helped it some. I think either the ESC or the RX just wasn't happy with the amount of current that the motor was drawing on a fresh battery and was shutting it down.. I'm back to the stock motor and no more problems.. I did rewire everything and it did help..

But come to think of it,,, I think I found out that it wasn't the ESC or the RX it was the motor shaft slipping in the motor bell and some red Loctite solved the problem..

livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:35 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Landing Gear Reinforcement

When I was building the Genius for my son, I didn't like any of the landing gear solution so far. The bridge across the skids made it hard to remove the battery, and is still not that strong. Blobs of glue didn't seem that strong either. My son was going to be very hard on the gears, and I can't afford to change out the frame every week.

Here is the final solution, and it worked good enough I was going to have the local guy make a bunch of it as a favor. Got the drawing files all done. But since mini cp came out, decided not to. Here is the drawing - click mid way down the page. You can just bend a wire at each bend line to make one out of .032 wire.

http://benmlee.com/Genius_Landing_Gear.htm

Advantage:
-Interlocking design. Loads are transfered to the frame with just contact. No glue, screws or cutting.
-Clears the canopy, so no modification.
-No brace to interfere with battery removal.
-Easy install with only shrink wrap at the tip of the skid.
-Very strong

Trade-off is it weights .9 grams. Not horrible, but heavier than scotch tape.

Have been flying this for a while now. Many hard landing, and held up fine. The front of my Genius was already broken, and this helped reinforce it. The only time it did not help was a very hard crash at high speed. It broke the rear gear. After glueing it back together, have not had an issue yet after many crashes.

In a crash, the wire takes majority of the load and transfer to the main frame. Basically, the stock plastic is piggy back for the ride. The loads are kind of triangulated to the frame. The wire is .032 music wire you can get at most hobby store. One size thinner was slightly on the weak side. One size heavier is probably over kill, and too heavy. At some point, the next weak spot would be the frame if a heavier wire is used.

There you have it, a clean install landing gear reinforcement.
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,065 Posts
looks good
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:35 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2006
291 Posts
Thanks
benmlee is offline Find More Posts by benmlee
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,098 Posts
Got a 2801 Pro in Friday. Been using a 2603 on all my heliís 2 GCPís, 2 V120D02SíS, 2 V200D01ís, & 3 CB100ís. Have not been flying the 4 channels lately, maybe summer fly the V200D01ís again but with the V120D02ís maybe not. If anybody lives close enough to me I invite you to come over & kick me in the butt for not buying a 2801 sooner. Man I have control on the curves, expo & everything now. My brushed GCP are like rockets and complete control in 3 axis. V120D02ís still using tamer settings donít wonít to buy a slipper clutch yet. But with this progression the slipper clutch may be in the future.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:08 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helikage View Post
You using stock connectors? If so, switching to micro deans might eliminate that problem of losing power.
Yes still using stock connectors. Maybe I may have to swap connectors to mini deans, however I have never had a problem with any of my other helis. (am building quite a collection now lol) Is that common?
ShaneJohnstone is offline Find More Posts by ShaneJohnstone
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I have both,, the Genius's are more my fun heli's and the V120D02's and the "S" ones are my more serious heli's.. So depends on my mood and where I'm at which one I prefer flying at the time.. I don't consider either of them a replacement for the other.. Lot of help that was right!!!
Hi Bob, Yes it actually was a lot of help, so thanks. Pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on the V120D02s and order one. Just seems like a good bit if kit to have and after all you can never have too many helis, can you?.

How do I go about getting one of those special slipper clutches you designed to sort out the tail gear issue?

Regards, Shane
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:23 AM
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
How about the TX? Are you transmitting at full power? I've tried turning mine down but when I fly out about as far as I can see well the heli drops as it loses signal.
Mike
I think so, however I cannot remember how you check. Can you point me in the right direction and I will double check.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I had this problem with my 03 brushless motor. Sometimes but not all the time it would lose power and drop but always in the first 30 seconds of a fresh battery, after one drop it would fly 5 more minutes just fine. I found that increasing the throttle curve helped it some. I think either the ESC or the RX just wasn't happy with the amount of current that the motor was drawing on a fresh battery and was shutting it down.. I'm back to the stock motor and no more problems.. I did rewire everything and it did help..

But come to think of it,,, I think I found out that it wasn't the ESC or the RX it was the motor shaft slipping in the motor bell and some red Loctite solved the problem..

Ok thanks, looks like I will need to check that also. Am seriously considering just getting the brushless upgrade for this GCP heli as it may eliminate some of the areas that could be causing the ongoing issue, Mine seems to be fairly consistent. Runs for about a minute or two then just drops out the sky, hits the deck and is ready to go straight away again. Guess the brushless upgrade should also give me some additional benefits?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:36 AM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
I was messing around in Ebay and typed in the GCP and came up with a few hits. I was surprised to find GCP's for sale by WOW with inflated prices (some over $100) from their website. They also had between 5 and 10 available on some Devo w/tx and ARF versions that are out of stock on the web site.

I have usually found in other products that Ebay prices are lower, but may of course have higher shipping fees which make them usually equate to the same price.

Is this common practice with this hobby or should I be dissapointed in WOW? Not that they would care if I was dissapointed, but I do .

Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:10 AM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
I was messing around in Ebay and typed in the GCP and came up with a few hits. I was surprised to find GCP's for sale by WOW with inflated prices (some over $100) from their website. They also had between 5 and 10 available on some Devo w/tx and ARF versions that are out of stock on the web site.

I have usually found in other products that Ebay prices are lower, but may of course have higher shipping fees which make them usually equate to the same price.

Is this common practice with this hobby or should I be dissapointed in WOW? Not that they would care if I was dissapointed, but I do .

Moto
I don't know how common it is but I know I have bought stuff from people on ebay before who had multiple listings of the exact same item with different prices that differed by as much as 150% so I think it's just a tactic some use to sucker people who don't take the time to investigate further. Ebay should implement a rule that the same seller can't have multiple postings of the same item.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy76man View Post
Ebay should implement a rule that the same seller can't have multiple postings of the same item.
I think it's ok to sell the same item but they should all be listed at the same price.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,483 Posts
If you look at those postings they almost always want the same amount of money. The difference is the shipping.

1. ebay post GCP heli $200 free shipping
2. ebay post GCP heli $185 shipping $15
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,483 Posts
Here is a page of lots of one way gear sets. I am sure someone can make one work.
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...ation+Gear+set
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member