SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
I use the orange KBDD's. Working great for me.
They look pretty funky.

Have you got a link or part # please?
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:46 PM
Newb Rotary Pilot
Odenton, MD
Joined Apr 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo666 View Post
They look pretty funky.

Have you got a link or part # please?
http://astroid-designs.myshopify.com...l-rotor-blades
Nytflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nytflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytflyer View Post
Thanks a lot!

Didn't know they did a multitude of colours. Lime Green it is.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Dec 2010
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytflyer View Post
lol at the two tail motors, that's sad.. needs both of them to hold the tail
scub is offline Find More Posts by scub
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
Just got my GCP from the mailman today. While the batteries were charging I went through the manual and set up my Devo-7 to all the settings listed for a new flier. Only exception was to set the pitch at the lowest stick setting at -5% rather than what they recommended. If I have to chop the throttle due to an impending impact with something I don't want negative pitch to drive it toward the ground. Otherwise I did what they recommended. First flight it lifted off gently without needing any input from elev or ail. Way cool this thing is just what I was looking for to fly inside the house. Very good control it goes right where I want it to. Did find I needed to back off on the expo a bit because I like it a little more responsive. I've now got more than 20 flights on it and it's awesome. Thank all of you folks on this thread. I read about what you like and what was a problem. After reading today I went back and used the dental floss to strain relief the battery connector wire. I noticed that it looked like the wires had been hot glued and thought ether Wowhobbies or Walkera had been listening and tried for a little strain relief. Anyhow so far no mishaps that have caused any damage.

Now, if I don't break it right away. What can I expect to wear out and need to have a replacement on hand? I already noted a spare main motor and tail motor and maybe tail assembly. What about bearings and such? I do see there can be a problem with servos as well.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winginman View Post
Just got my GCP from the mailman today. While the batteries were charging I went through the manual and set up my Devo-7 to all the settings listed for a new flier. Only exception was to set the pitch at the lowest stick setting at -5% rather than what they recommended. If I have to chop the throttle due to an impending impact with something I don't want negative pitch to drive it toward the ground. Otherwise I did what they recommended. First flight it lifted off gently without needing any input from elev or ail. Way cool this thing is just what I was looking for to fly inside the house. Very good control it goes right where I want it to. Did find I needed to back off on the expo a bit because I like it a little more responsive. I've now got more than 20 flights on it and it's awesome. Thank all of you folks on this thread. I read about what you like and what was a problem. After reading today I went back and used the dental floss to strain relief the battery connector wire. I noticed that it looked like the wires had been hot glued and thought ether Wowhobbies or Walkera had been listening and tried for a little strain relief. Anyhow so far no mishaps that have caused any damage.

Now, if I don't break it right away. What can I expect to wear out and need to have a replacement on hand? I already noted a spare main motor and tail motor and maybe tail assembly. What about bearings and such? I do see there can be a problem with servos as well.
The bearings should last a while especially if you lube them. I've only had my Geniuses for a short while so can't testify as to how robust the bearings are. All my other Walkera bearings are holding up well after numerous flights, though.

Servos are meant to be an essential upgrade, but again, i've not stripped any yet. Time will tell.

The only thing i've broken is 2 x tail rotors. My intention is to buy some Kdbb rotors from the link quoted above.

Another thing I intend to do is to use a thicker stranded wire to the lipo connector, but until it breaks from the PCB i'm just going to dismiss it.

As soon as I got my first GCP, and all my other Walkeras for that matter, I cut off the stock connector and used Micro Deans. I just don't like the stock connectors, that's all.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
Has anyone found aftermarket fuselages or canopies that fit the Genius? I haven't broken or worn out anything else yet, but my canopy is an absolute mess.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:34 AM
I quit!
cjavate's Avatar
Joined May 2011
60 Posts
What's the word on the Brushless upgrade kit Turbo Ace 411500 from wow? Does the stock tail hold well with the higher head speed?
cjavate is offline Find More Posts by cjavate
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:37 AM
Registered User
bizzy511's Avatar
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winginman View Post
Just got my GCP from the mailman today. While the batteries were charging I went through the manual and set up my Devo-7 to all the settings listed for a new flier. Only exception was to set the pitch at the lowest stick setting at -5% rather than what they recommended. If I have to chop the throttle due to an impending impact with something I don't want negative pitch to drive it toward the ground. Otherwise I did what they recommended. First flight it lifted off gently without needing any input from elev or ail. Way cool this thing is just what I was looking for to fly inside the house. Very good control it goes right where I want it to. Did find I needed to back off on the expo a bit because I like it a little more responsive. I've now got more than 20 flights on it and it's awesome. Thank all of you folks on this thread. I read about what you like and what was a problem. After reading today I went back and used the dental floss to strain relief the battery connector wire. I noticed that it looked like the wires had been hot glued and thought ether Wowhobbies or Walkera had been listening and tried for a little strain relief. Anyhow so far no mishaps that have caused any damage.

Now, if I don't break it right away. What can I expect to wear out and need to have a replacement on hand? I already noted a spare main motor and tail motor and maybe tail assembly. What about bearings and such? I do see there can be a problem with servos as well.

is this on the 6axis or 3axis?

thanks
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:32 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
here is how i fix the skids
I simply use a slightly trimmed down automotive crimping terminal and crimp them solid...
works superbly, you can see in one shot I had to crimp again further down when it broke after much more use.
no waiting for glue to set, is stronger than the original!


crimespree is offline Find More Posts by crimespree
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
123 Posts
Is a little bit of vibration spooling up normal?

Also, what do you lube the bearings with?
distortionist is offline Find More Posts by distortionist
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:21 AM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortionist View Post
Is a little bit of vibration spooling up normal?

Also, what do you lube the bearings with?
yeah, that is usually caused by the blades swinging side to side in the grips while spinning up. You can mostly eliminate it by tightening the blade grips a little so the blades don't swing as freely...but if you do that you increase the likely hood of damage in a blade strike so it's a trade off.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
Things that do fly
Magic k2's Avatar
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Has anyone found aftermarket fuselages or canopies that fit the Genius? I haven't broken or worn out anything else yet, but my canopy is an absolute mess.
They have a new version out for the GCP that is one piece and can stand on the thing without breaking it
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Aug 2010
127 Posts
bizzy I am running the GCP in 6 axis mode. You can change to 3 axis mode for stunts by flipping the mode switch on the receiver. (SW#2)

I got an extra canopy with mine from WOW that is supposedly unbreakable. Looks like Walkera has an alternate sturdier canopy available. I don't know about the unbreakable part. The unbreakable canopy that came with my V120D02S split down one side in a head on crash with the garage floor. Same crash also broke the front off the landing skids.

Back to the GCP, got another 8 flights this morning all inside the house. Bounced off the wall a couple of times trying some things. This thing is pretty tuff and I am still amazed at how quiet and smooth it is.

I have a number of Walkera helis and all are running the same original bearings. I lube them and the gears with some purple looking oil the my son bought at a slot car track for the bearings and gears in his hi performance slot cars. Check out your LHS and see what they use for these slot racers it seems to work. I do use it sparingly but on some of the older helis I can tell by the sound when they need a little lube.
winginman is offline Find More Posts by winginman
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Has anyone found aftermarket fuselages or canopies that fit the Genius? I haven't broken or worn out anything else yet, but my canopy is an absolute mess.
If you want something easier to see, the yellow CB100 canopy will fit although it is very tight.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion smallest lightest 10-12mp camera? cdi3d Aerial Photography 16 Apr 27, 2011 09:36 PM
Article Think Geek's MX-1 RTF Helicopter Review: Is it the World's smallest R/C helicopter? Michael Heer Coaxial Helicopters 27 Oct 29, 2008 08:43 AM
The lightest 3D belt driven micro electric helicopter in the world--------ELE Firefox ELE kiki Product Announcements 42 Aug 27, 2007 11:49 PM
Discussion ELE firefox-100, flying weight 180g-the lightest 3D helicopter in the world. ELERC Mini Helis 11 Jun 21, 2007 08:17 AM