HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:51 AM
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
I've successfully reversed the HK orange servos, everything works nicely. They're spaced out with polystyrene foam and the balls are mounted on the back of the horns for clearance. The front servo is still a Walkera, I'm not noticing any weirdness due to the mismatch.

I've also got a bit more flight time back, after my overheating issues - new motor, new blades, removed the remainder of the button from the head (about 1/3 of it snapped off). The motor still gets hot, but the batteries less so.

Also, if anyone was looking at buying Zippy 350mAh batteries, make sure they're not the Flightmax version - they're long and flat and there's no way to mount them.
jeremyc is offline Find More Posts by jeremyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:03 AM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Already lost one to the carpet...
Same here, not happy lol
Joncreid is offline Find More Posts by Joncreid
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski View Post
Hi,
I don't suffer with shakey hands unless I don't have my morning coffee But I learned a trick while learning to arc weld. Using a long welding rod,You can notice the slightest shake. My welding teacher taught me to rest my elbows on my hips,or against anything safe while arc welding to help promote a steady hand. It may not help you with soldering,but it costs nothing to give it a try and see if it helps you.
Regards Jason
About 10 years ago, I used to be a pcb assembler for an alarm company.
I did this for about 18-20 Months, soldering a target of 35 pcb's per day (about 210 components p/h), on a dismal 200 p/w income.
It was an awfully robotic and mundane job.

Anyway, working all those Months on a poor income has paid dividends in a sense, as I can easily work on Walkera rx and similar stuff using surface mount components. In fact, I just recently got rid of the stock Walkera rx connectors, then directly hardwired motors, servos, to the pcb, instead.

I can do 3 or 4 Micro Deans in less than a couple of minutes, no sweat, and that's without helping hands.

Now that I don't do it for a career, I really enjoy soldering. It was a different matter back then.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:05 AM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Central California Coast
Joined May 2008
2,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
lol why do people have such a hard time soldering...buy a helping hands =)
I soldered 12 gcp batteries w/ micro deans and made a 6 battery parallel harness with m deans and banana plugs in about 30 minutes...the helping hands really does what the name intitles.
The right size solder makes a world of a difference too, thats the biggest mistake I see made, people using way larger gauge solder than needed then wonder why they have a huge blob haha.
Quote:
Yeah a decent iron and good condition tip will make a difference! I invested in a pretty nice station a couple years ago and never looked back.
Yeah, I agree having the right equipment really helps soldering these little components.

I have a few helping hands and a few vices and clamps that really help.

Regards,
John
1Hammer is online now Find More Posts by 1Hammer
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:31 AM
Farmer
United States, CA, Windsor
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Walkera Genius Cp Pro Brushless With Pro Tail And New V3 Canopy.

Have had this heli And Canopy for a week now.

Walkera Genius Cp (1 min 10 sec)

Flight Clip
f.a.r.m.e.r is online now Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Last edited by f.a.r.m.e.r; Dec 22, 2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added Video
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:22 AM
hoten-x,master-cp,v120d02s,etc
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Yeah a decent iron and good condition tip will make a difference! I invested in a pretty nice station a couple years ago and never looked back.
I got one of these as a Christmas present this year...and tried it out before my wife wrapped it

Works awesome compared to the radio shack junk I was soldering with and no digital controls to go out and turn it into a paper weight.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:27 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Couple mods

Did a couple mods today to make the gcp more living room friendly.

Fixed Pitch Blades
Head speed with the cp blades was a little high for in the house so I changed them out with some spare V120d01 blades (waiting for v100d01 blades to arrive). The v120 blades were a little long so I snipped about 1.5cm. The blade root of the v120's is only 1mm, whereas the gcp blade root is 3mm. Blade spacer washers were made using a drill, sim card holder, and a leather hole punch. The spacers aren't perfect but they get the job done.

Cheap & Sturdy Canopy
The canopy I got with mine shattered after a few flights. I have replaced it with a xieda 9958 canopy as it is much sturdier. However, the 9958 canopy is 1.2 grams heavier than the stock, but I don't notice the weight difference in flight.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:30 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
If anyone wants a decent mid priced soldering iron, you can't go wrong with Weller.
Like I said above, I was once a pcb assembler.
In the 18 Months or so that I was doing it we were using a sky Blue coloured soldering station.
Mine was used for around 18 Months of continuous 8 hours per day and it was still working A1. That's good enough for me!
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:04 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Why turn a GCP into FP when you can get an actual FP heli built for FP bladed for less than half what a Genius Devo rtf costs?
Or do you just do that indoor and switch back elsewhere?
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,473 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with bad tail motors ?

The recent few I have seem weak.

I think I'll be getting the dual BL upgrade as I'm not very happy with my CO5 set up.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:24 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Is anyone else having issues with bad tail motors ?

The recent few I have seem weak.

I think I'll be getting the dual BL upgrade as I'm not very happy with my CO5 set up.
I'm having good luck with my stock tail motors. I'm actually shocked at how good they are doing... Lasting much better than the ones on the CB100, 4#3, 4G3, V100D03DBL, which are the same tail motor as the Genius DBL kit are going to be..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:25 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Why turn a GCP into FP when you can get an actual FP heli built for FP bladed for less than half what a Genius Devo rtf costs?
Or do you just do that indoor and switch back elsewhere?
I don't turn my Genius into a FP I just set it up to fly as a very mild CP.. For indoors and flip to high rates and go outside..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:32 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,473 Posts
The BL tail motors didn't last as long as the stock GCP brushed tail?

F..k

Not what I want to hear Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I'm having good luck with my stock tail motors. I'm actually shocked at how good they are doing... Lasting much better than the ones on the CB100, 4#3, 4G3, V100D03DBL, which are the same tail motor as the Genius DBL kit are going to be..
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:47 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I don't turn my Genius into a FP I just set it up to fly as a very mild CP.. For indoors and flip to high rates and go outside..
Exactly what I do. I can't be taking out Christmas ornaments anymore. Don't want to get the missus down on indoor flights. It flys like a well set up FP indoors. I have a different model set up for outdoors.
I get my parts today. One day late. Should be flying by afternoon. That one extra day is killing me. Am I a heli-addict?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Welp I went out to the field I fly at, brought my GCP as I figured I would try my first attempt at inverted. So I hovered her around, flew in some circles, then brought her tail in infront of me, I then flipped my fmode switch and proceed to flip her upside down, she hovered there for about a second, I then went to go flip her back rightside up, somehow lost control, slammed the grass upside down, and my NEW CANOPY was split right down the middle of the top! ON GRASS!!!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by NorCalMatCat; Dec 22, 2011 at 03:57 PM.