HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
... there is much greater changes than would at first appear its not just a fancy graphics front end.
...I have probably missed various things that people may find significant and things they will not such as the fold away neck strap holder LOL

Regards David
Thanks David, for taking the time to provide a detailed list of of changes. I probably should have done my "homework" and gone to the Walkera website and read the "slick" stuff.

As far as I can tell, all the stuff you mentioned are "user" interface changes. If the new "Devo's" are not "backwards" RX compatible, I'm thinking there must also be some kind of TX-to-RX "language" change as well, like maybe the "word" size is different, or some kind of different "handshaking" protocol is implemented.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Sep 07, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:02 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Thanks David, for taking the time to provide a detailed list of of changes. I probably should have done my "homework" and gone to the Walkera website and read the "slick" stuff.

As far as I can tell, all the stuff you mentioned are "user" interface changes. If the new "Devo's" are not "backwards" RX compatible, I'm thinking there must also be some kind of TX-to-RX "language" change as well, like maybe the "word" size is different, or some kind of different "handshaking" protocol is implemented.
Yes that is exactly the thing that stops the backwards compatibility - the 2801 uses three separate protocols so the 4 channel Rx can only interpret the 2401 protocol the 6 channel Rx the 6 channel protocol and so forth - With the devo they have made a single protocol that will work with all the devo Rx's - probably in the header there is a key that tells the Rx just how many channels to translate for each individual model. A completely different protocol system so all Devo's should talk to all Devo Rx's that have equal or less channels - that just could not be done with the old 3 tier system.

Hopefully they will cary on putting twin interpreters into all the new Rx's so they can translate both the 2801 signal and the devo signal - however which 2801 signal is used is the question - its probably going to be the 2401 signal for 4 channel and 2601 signal for 6 channel so it can also talk to the 2603 - which means a lot of people still will not be happy because when using the 2801 it will be in 2601 mode using 2601 pat rather than the curves which can only be used in 2801 mode.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:12 PM
United States, CT, Berlin
Joined Jun 2011
238 Posts
Ahhhh, that's what I was wondering. I'm not real familiar with using a rx in 2601 mode with 2801. I know there are the curve issues. Can these curve issues be worked around by doing the hot key fiunction trick? Another words, if I get a genius and the rx only binds in 2601. Mode, ca n I program pitch curves in 2801 mode then notify them when i2601 mode? This would be workable for me, but I needs my pitch curves!
helimaniac8 is offline Find More Posts by helimaniac8
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Nov 2010
37 Posts
I was wondering about this package, it is cheap but I have not heard of the radio Devo7.
[URL="http://www.oomodel.com/walkera-mini-3d-helicopter-genius-cp-with-devo-7-p-61192.html"]
The price is great but why is there no information on the Devo7 and their is information on the Devo 6,8 and 12.
Can anyone shed a little light on this?

http://www.oomodel.com/walkera-mini-3d-helicopter-genius-cp-with-devo-7-p-61192.html
dustytran is offline Find More Posts by dustytran
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:20 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helimaniac8 View Post
Ahhhh, that's what I was wondering. I'm not real familiar with using a rx in 2601 mode with 2801. I know there are the curve issues. Can these curve issues be worked around by doing the hot key fiunction trick? Another words, if I get a genius and the rx only binds in 2601. Mode, ca n I program pitch curves in 2801 mode then notify them when i2601 mode? This would be workable for me, but I needs my pitch curves!
Sorry some functions like expo can be worked around - through a back door so to speak - but probably you would have to use 2601 pat to program the curves on the Genius CP if used on the 2801 - But that is just speculation at present - Darryl is going to be testing the 2801 compatible version of the Genius CP so its probably best to wait and see just what he reports - one thing with walkera is you just never know what new bit of ingenuity they will come up with next.

Regards David
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:27 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustytran View Post
I was wondering about this package, it is cheap but I have not heard of the radio Devo7.
[URL="http://www.oomodel.com/walkera-mini-3d-helicopter-genius-cp-with-devo-7-p-61192.html"]
The price is great but why is there no information on the Devo7 and their is information on the Devo 6,8 and 12.
Can anyone shed a little light on this?

http://www.oomodel.com/walkera-mini-3d-helicopter-genius-cp-with-devo-7-p-61192.html
Wow that is a good price its less than $10 more than the package with the 2603 which is too good to be true for a computerized radio - Darryl mentioned the Devo 7 but I have no idea just what walkera have put into it - Darryl may be able to tell you more.

Regards David
Last edited by Hellraser; Sep 07, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:20 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,071 Posts
I don't know what kind of modulation (amplitude, phase, hopping, etc.) scheme Walkera is using, but if it is the same for all their 2.4 GHz TX's and RX's, and if the only differences between one TX and another is strictly some kind of 0 and 1 protocol, they could probably easily put a model "Look Up" table in the TX's memory, and let the user select which "model" the TX should emulate. In other words if any specific RX is looking for a certain unique sequence of 0's and 1's, the TX could probably have been (software or hardware) switched to output that particular sequence of 0 and 1 protocol. I don't really see a need for a "real" hardware change, when the only thing that is being "switched" is the number of 0's and 1's.

Unless there is a change in modulation scheme, I'm guessing the Devo TX probably could have been designed backwards compatible, but management decided against it (minimal amount of "extra" non-reoccurring man hours required to design a backwards compatible lookup table, and maybe a few $1's worth of extra parts), and instead offered the consumer the "best" deal ($2 cheaper?) that gives everyone at the factory job security for a few more years (until they can think of another "excuse" to sell us a new feature that the Devo's hardware can't support).

If I was a paying member of AMA, I'd be demanding an open non-proprietary "universal" TX/RX "language". The end users shouldn't be forced to purchase a new TX for every different manufacturer's product. Is the AMA in "bed" with the manufacturers? Who's paying them their dues? Who are they working for? Somehow I'm starting to get a feeling that the AMA is only there to "educate" the "end users", so the manufacturers don't get sued when the "end users" do something stupid.

I suppose it is only as bad as I described, in the micro "world". Once (if) I get into the bigger platforms, I have the freedom to "haul" whichever RX I choose. Thank goodness for the Spektrum compatible HK $4 to $10 (4 to 6 CH) RX's. Too bad I'm too scared to fly flying "Samurai" swords.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Sep 08, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:34 AM
Joined Jan 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
In the hands of a good pilot that doesn't crash, weight can be a very good thing especially in windy conditions, provided that there is a powertrain that can toss it around.

However, for a crash "test dummy", all my experiences so far have indicated that the lighter the heli, the less the impact damage.

Choose carefully
Strangely my V120D06 modified in a V100D08 brushless with a brushed motor in direct drive on tail has no damage in 100 crashes. Except one tail boom (replaced now by a CF rod... no more problem).

I have just reinforced the cockpit. Sometimes the landing skid twists or the feathering shaft twists... but this heli continues to fly well in soft 3D.

The weight of this heli is 75 gr. First I had a V100D03BL (quite similar to the genius... same servos, same tail in direct drive, same rotor diameter and lenght) and I had problems with the servos.

It's the speed of the rotor head (and also the inertia of a brushless motor outrunner) which makes damages during crashes if the servos are too small.

For me, the genius can have more problems comparatively to my V100D08 brushless during crashes.

It's just my opinion after 100 crashes on grass with my heli.

Here my heli. Better fluidity in clicking on the link on top of the image
Walkera V100D08 brushless created with a V120D06 helicopter : 3D crash proof (5 min 10 sec)

Roland
helicopsi is offline Find More Posts by helicopsi
Last edited by helicopsi; Sep 08, 2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Wow that is a good price its less than $10 more than the package with the 2603 which is too good to be true for a computerized radio - Darryl mentioned the Devo 7 but I have no idea just what walkera have put into it - Darryl may be able to tell you more.

Regards David
Attached DEVO 7 pics for you guys reference. 15-model memory, USB update online,the appearance is similar with TX2801PRO.
hobbyone.com.hk is offline Find More Posts by hobbyone.com.hk
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:12 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
On oomodel.com

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with DEVO 6 - $285.71

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with DEVO 7 - $222.23

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with DEVO 8 - $301.59

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with WK2801 Transmitter - $253.97

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with wk2603 - $213.17

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP BNF - $165.35
(It seems that there is a BNF version for the Devo Series and One for the 2603/2801)

Just what is going on? Is there an error with the prices? I cannot see anybody buying the Devo 6 at all.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:06 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post

Just what is going on? Is there an error with the prices? I cannot see anybody buying the Devo 6 at all.
Hi,
asked the same question in a German forum, answer:
Devo 7 is cheap, like the other small Walkera TX.
Devo 6 is much better quality, same functions as Devo 12, but only 6 channels.

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:12 AM
Joined Aug 2011
96 Posts
Genius CP price

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
On oomodel.com

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with DEVO 6 - $285.71

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with DEVO 7 - $222.23

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with DEVO 8 - $301.59

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with WK2801 Transmitter - $253.97

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP with wk2603 - $213.17

Walkera Mini 3D helicopter Genius CP BNF - $165.35
(It seems that there is a BNF version for the Devo Series and One for the 2603/2801)

'cause the DEVO6 is color touch screen, and the DEVO 7 is LCD screen ,so the DEVO 6 is much more expensive.

We are selling this cool helicopter too,and the radio are selectable : http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=10325
hobbyone.com.hk is offline Find More Posts by hobbyone.com.hk
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:42 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
Just heard from my LHS that a batch of 2801 BNF will arrive tomorrow for a street price of $142 in Hong Kong.

I have asked them to reserve one for me and will pick it up as soon as it arrives

I hope to do a brief review as soon as I can, especially against the MCPx which I also have.

So much for breaking my resolution again of not to buy another Walkera CP.

See you then!
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 08, 2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
793 Posts
Quote:
I suppose it is only as bad as I described, in the micro "world". Once (if) I get into the bigger platforms, I have the freedom to "haul" whichever RX I choose. Thank goodness for the Spektrum compatible HK $4 to $10 (4 to 6 CH) RX's. Too bad I'm too scared to fly flying "Samurai" swords.
You can make your middle step by building one without "Samurai" swords
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=332723
alexaglob is offline Find More Posts by alexaglob
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:27 AM
Before Oblivion
United Kingdom, England, Kingswinford
Joined Oct 2004
175 Posts
This little fella would be a worthy step up to CP model for me, only thing bothering me is having yet another Tx. I haven't got any Walkera helis ATM and may not get any more in the future so a Devo 6/7/8 nice bit of kit that they look like would be wasted when this model is out grown or knackered!
My question is do they do a decent range of Rx's to utilize in other models.
Any more details anywhere on that Devo 7
olof is offline Find More Posts by olof