HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined Nov 2010
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Hello, I just managed to sneak another Genius CP into my apartment right under my wife's nose.

I removed all the packing and put it into a plastic bag before taking it upstairs.
My favorite way also
alexaglob is offline Find More Posts by alexaglob
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Junkie
Wichita, KS
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
Posted this in Toms thread but figured it might be good here too.

Ok...here's what I've figured out about the 6 axis mode.

It is a self leveling system with some interesting quirks which requires constant stick input to move the heli around. In other words, if you give it a little left and recenter, it will move slightly left, and stop moving. In 3 axis mode, a little left and back to center will start the heli moving left and it will continue to do so until some right stick is given to stop it. So 6 axis mode makes the heli fly somewhat like the Blade mSr.

As far as drifting is concerned, or the tendency for the heli to go left, it is because the swashplate is not level. Where it gets confusing is that your swashplate might appear to be slightly tilted to the right, which will make you THINK that it would tend to drift right, and the fact is the 6 axis sees this as a stick input having been given and will try to continually do what it thinks is a compensation, which is to drift left constantly.

In other words, if your swash is tilted forward slightly, this will not result in forward flight, but a tendency to constantly drift backwards. This is what is so confusing to people trying to set up the Genius. The trick to getting rid of drift to the left is NOT to adjust the linkages to make it tilt more right, but rather to adjust the linkages for a level swash.

Adjusting trim APPEARS to work for some, but a better way is to get as close to a level swash as possible by adjusting linkages, and then make small adjustments to sub trim until the bird will hover hands free.

NOTE if it's drifting to one side or the other, adjust the AILERON sub trim only! If it's drifting forwards or back, adjust the elevator only. ALWAYS follow the start up procedure of turning on the transmitter first, and then plugging in the heli battery while the Devo tx is starting up, as the manual states, for consistent results.

Hope this helps!

Ross
babblin5 is offline Find More Posts by babblin5
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:26 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblin5 View Post
ALWAYS follow the start up procedure of turning on the transmitter first, and then plugging in the heli battery while the Devo tx is starting up, as the manual states, for consistent results.

Hope this helps!

Ross
are you using fixed ID

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:37 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,740 Posts
i noticed this before on other walkeras i have...the axis gyros seem to complicate leveling the swash, so what i do is i turn off the axis gyros , level the swash and do a test hover to see if its drifting...if it is then i adjust the links accordingly ....once it holds a hover without drifting i turn the 3 axis gyros back on and its super stable with no drift in hovering....one thing to make sure when doing it this way is make sure you have the CG perfect or it will give false impression of the swash being level......i will try this tonight on the Genius and see how it goes....
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Junkie
Wichita, KS
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
are you using fixed ID

Regards David
If it comes bound with fixed ID from the factory, then yes I am. Haven't played around with fixed ID yet, but I'll look into that and whether it makes a difference or not next.
babblin5 is offline Find More Posts by babblin5
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:26 PM
Joined Jul 2009
152 Posts
Genius CP ordered

Well looks like I'll be adding the Genius CP 2801 bnf to the family along side my 4G6. This will be my first flybarless heli. Can't wait for it to get here!
OmegaRedIsDMan is offline Find More Posts by OmegaRedIsDMan
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:28 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblin5 View Post
If it comes bound with fixed ID from the factory, then yes I am. Haven't played around with fixed ID yet, but I'll look into that and whether it makes a difference or not next.
No you do fixed ID your self - its binds extremely fast with fixed ID - I am not sure the walkera prescribed method will work.

Walkera gave the instruction of switch on the Tx first because there is always a risk of the heli picking up some other signal especially when a few modelers are gathered - However with fixed ID using a random 6 digit code the odds of the heli responding to any other signal are millions to one.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:38 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Binding taking too long? Heli is yawing left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
Sorry about the initial info about the lack of servo extent on the pots. My pre-production version had none. The production version of both my 2801 and Devo do have the extent pot working. For some basic 3D I have the extent maxed out and servo travel at 110% with D/R at 106% (on Ail & Ele) and Expo at 25% (on Ail & Ele). Rudder is D/R 100% and Expo -6%. That is just what I am using for my personal heli.

Binding taking too long? Try this. Plug the battery to the heli then turn on the Tx. Once the blinking LED goes solid, give your cyclic stick full right and complete a circle with the stick and release to center. The LED should go to rapid blinking and then the heli should bind in about 3secs. This will ensure a full resolution bind to the Rx. This will work on both the Devo and 2801 versions.

Heli is yawing left? After balancing the heli to silky smooth. Adjust the gyro gain to 87%. This will eliminate the slow yaw and should not result in a "hunting" tail wag unless you have a vibration in the heli somewhere.

Note: The servo ext. maxed out, servo travels at 110%, D/R at 106%
are for Intermediate to Advanced flyers. If you are a beginner
I would start out with the servo ext. pot at the factory setting, not
increase the servo travels, and use some D/R and at least +30 to +35% EXPO.

I am using the fast binding method. Works great.

Good tips Darryl!

Thanks.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:40 PM
Micro-Heli-Addict
Preston, Idaho
Joined Jan 2011
474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexaglob View Post
My favorite way also
I just make sure I place my orders so they get here when my wifes at work.
jlbrandt01 is offline Find More Posts by jlbrandt01
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,264 Posts
Newb, here... Had my first hover using Tom's beginner settings tonight. The first time I bind the heli it wasn't working. I was somewhat panicking thinking I had set up something wrong or my heli was faulty out of the box. Then I tried using the stock configuration in the TX and it was the same. Both Tom's settings and the stock settings only worked in stunt mode but in normal mode the heli was spinning on itself as if the tail wasn't working.

I disconnected the heli, went back to Tom's configuration and bind the heli again. It miraculously started working well and I saw the light. My first CP heli is a WASP V3 and the difference is not measurable. It's like the Genius flies itself. It's so easy! I think Tom's settings are fantastic. I believe he tamed it quite a bit but for a beginner is still very, VERY fast, but stable enough and easy to control.

I have many flights with the WASP V3 and I can barely hover nose in yet. With the Genius, I was hovering nose in on my second battery. This is a telling tale right there.

I am so absolutely stoked!

All the best,

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:30 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,740 Posts
did anybody receive the 8ch receiver with there Devo 8?

and how many batteries did you receive with it?

and did you get a neck strap with it?

thanks a bunch...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:34 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
did anybody receive the 8ch receiver with there Devo 8?

and how many batteries did you receive with it?

and did you get a neck strap with it?

thanks a bunch...

Better also ask where they go it from,, as this makes a BIG difference..
livonia bob is online now Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:38 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
1,740 Posts
i was just curious cause i got mine from wow and got 3 batteries ,neck strap, but didn't have a 8ch receiver with it....might just be the china venders including the 8ch rx with the rtf package....
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:42 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Well,i finally got outside with my genius oooooooooh i like it ,,it is sooooooooooo smoothe and slippery too,,,looks so small but feels bigger in the air,very nice to fly fff,had gyro up to 88 indoors but started to wag straight away in the wind so lowered it and the tail was stable again,,,so much fast fun,was doing the start of a basic funnel ,quite flat any with the heli sideways the whole time and the tail was screaming,i think it likes it lol,,just what i was looking for,was flying flat out at 5 feet off the ground instead of twenty feet up with my 450,second lipo i tried backward circits and tried to flip it over also,,,had two crashes and a total blast,,,going to see how much cyclic i can get out of the setting tommorow after work for my next flights as it was NEVER gonna be flipped lol,think i will lower the max pitch as i could feel the bogs also.I will try everything i do in phoenix with this heli as i know it will bounce back after the crash instead of imploding or exploding like a normal cp heli,,need some lipos now,was holding off till i flew her in anger,,,is there a good supply of small lipos from HK ? i cant order from the states because of the custom charges in the UK.Happy happy happy
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:50 PM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Walkera miss named this heli,,,it should be called the SIMULATOR ,,,or in walkera speak"SIMULATOR3dgy6amir"
Magic k2 is offline Find More Posts by Magic k2