HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:20 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıbǝɹ
United States, FL, Lutz
Joined Sep 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I would be very careful doing this without any balancing. You should at least check their end voltages. In the past, I found that one battery ends up with less than 4.00V and another at more than 4.4V
I do make it a habit of checking all of my batteries after every charge. I don't think I've ever seen one battery that's off by more than .01 V from any of the others after a parallel charge, even after charging batteries of varying capacities together.

As long as the batteries are all healthy and the harness is well made, I just don't see the problem you've described ever happening. If I do run into a battery that starts showing a state of over or under charge, I'll likely just toss it; these 1s batteries are not very expensive.
ScottAllyn is offline Find More Posts by ScottAllyn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
Things that do fly
In my house ;-) The uk
Joined Dec 2008
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAllyn View Post
I do make it a habit of checking all of my batteries after every charge. I don't think I've ever seen one battery that's off by more than .01 V from any of the others after a parallel charge, even after charging batteries of varying capacities together.

As long as the batteries are all healthy and the harness is well made, I just don't see the problem you've described ever happening. If I do run into a battery that starts showing a state of over or under charge, I'll likely just toss it; these 1s batteries are not very expensive.
Well thats the other good thing about the in series charge,at the end or during the charge you can see the volts of every cell ,no need to play with multi meters all the time,just quick and convenient.
Magic k2 is online now Find More Posts by Magic k2
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:23 AM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
I hate to complain but I am definitely needing some help.
I have the 2801 BnF...
it spins counter clockwise constantly in both 3 and 6a modes...

VERY twitchy for my taste,

and the throttle runs... in TH and in norm I cant stop it without maintaining pressure on the stick.
Quite a chore to do all of that and still unplug these little batt connectors to try and kill it.

I am on my way out until this afternoon and then I will re check my settings per Toms settings, but that is what I did initially, I will also read the fixes again... and any additional advice offered, thanx.
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:32 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiaddict View Post
I hate to complain but I am definitely needing some help.
I have the 2801 BnF...
it spins counter clockwise constantly in both 3 and 6a modes...

VERY twitchy for my taste,

and the throttle runs... in TH and in norm I cant stop it without maintaining pressure on the stick.
Quite a chore to do all of that and still unplug these little batt connectors to try and kill it.

I am on my way out until this afternoon and then I will re check my settings per Toms settings, but that is what I did initially, I will also read the fixes again... and any additional advice offered, thanx.
First does the tail motor run?? Is the rotor on the shaft tight??
livonia bob is online now Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
High Flyer
United Kingdom, Diss
Joined Aug 2011
140 Posts
Hi, I've just read every page of this thread, and I'm convinced. Was going for a mcpx but, this heli does seem to have the advantage. Now the problem I'm having is deciding which tx to go for, being a newbie and coming from only ever flying an old blade cx2 and more recently a solo pro 2, I don't have much experiance. I was just wondering, what advantages would a devo 8 give me over a devo 6? The genius cp being a 6 channel heli.. also I was thinking of future proofing by going for the devo 8? (+ the devo 8 does look proper sexy!) Thanks guys..
Back4More is offline Find More Posts by Back4More
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıbǝɹ
United States, FL, Lutz
Joined Sep 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Already checked. There is no servo extent. The manual is wrong.
DK is correct it is the "balance delay" pot.
Tom, are you sure about this? I just turned that pot across its entire range while watching the servo horns and swash. The servos definitely have more range of travel when that pot is turned fully clockwise.

In flight, with it fully CCW, it behaves exactly as if I'd enabled my D/R settings. With that pot fully CW, the Genius is like an angry little hornet. I gave it full reverse ELE on the stick and the heli was perpendicular to the ground and flying straight back at my face before the girly scream had fully escaped my mouth.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:55 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back4More View Post
Hi, I've just read every page of this thread, and I'm convinced. Was going for a mcpx but, this heli does seem to have the advantage. Now the problem I'm having is deciding which tx to go for, being a newbie and coming from only ever flying an old blade cx2 and more recently a solo pro 2, I don't have much experiance. I was just wondering, what advantages would a devo 8 give me over a devo 6? The genius cp being a 6 channel heli.. also I was thinking of future proofing by going for the devo 8? (+ the devo 8 does look proper sexy!) Thanks guys..
It is possible that the Devo 8 may have a longer range (bigger aerial). This will be useful if you get a larger Walkera heli or use a Walkera receiver in a larger heli or plane.

Quote:
Tom, are you sure about this? I just turned that pot across its entire range while watching the servo horns and swash. The servos definitely have more range of travel when that pot is turned fully clockwise.

In flight, with it fully CCW, it behaves exactly as if I'd enabled my D/R settings. With that pot fully CW, the Genius is like an angry little hornet. I gave it full reverse ELE on the stick and the heli was perpendicular to the ground and flying straight back at my face before the girly scream had fully left my mouth.
I wonder whether the same applies to both your 2801 and Devo versions?
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:55 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
Quote:

In flight, with it fully CCW, it behaves exactly as if I'd enabled my D/R settings. With that pot fully CW, the Genius is like an angry little hornet. I gave it full reverse ELE on the stick and the heli was perpendicular to the ground and flying straight back at my face before the girly scream had fully escaped my mouth.

I don't want to mess with mine yet,,but it sounds like you are correct from it's actions..
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:57 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back4More View Post
I would go with the 8 if you have the money.. But Then I'm only going by what I have read..
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:58 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Already checked. There is no servo extent. The manual is wrong.
DK is correct it is the "balance delay" pot.

Tom

I just tried mine. Turning the pot doesn't do anything.
Which RX version are you checking this one? The 2801 or Devo?

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıbǝɹ
United States, FL, Lutz
Joined Sep 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I wonder whether the same applies to both your 2801 and Devo versions?
I'm in the process of transferring everything over to the new frame. I'll check it later this afternoon when I get it back together.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:02 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıbǝɹ
United States, FL, Lutz
Joined Sep 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
I just tried mine. Turning the pot doesn't do anything.
Which RX version are you checking this one? The 2801 or Devo?
It's the Devo; the 2801 is currently disassembled.

Odd that you don't see any change. I don't see much change from 0 - 50% on mine but, with the cyclic stick locked fully to one corner, I can see the servos change position when I go from 50% to 100% on that pot.

Edit: Actually, the change in travel seems pretty linear across the range of the pot. It's just not as large of a change as what I see when I adjust the extent pots on my other receivers. It very definitely affects flight, tho!
Last edited by ScottAllyn; Sep 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,126 Posts
Please note the correct position of the pots. The image on the Helipal website is wrong. Apparently Walkera made a mistake as well.

zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:11 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
It's the Devo; the 2801 is currently disassembled.

Odd that you don't see any change. I don't see much change from 0 - 50% on mine but, with the cyclic stick locked fully to one corner, I can see the servos change position when I go from 50% to 100% on that pot.
OK I turned on the ADJ pot on the RX and turned off my D/R & EXP.
The pot does adjust servo travel.
It must be a servo extent pot. I don't know if turning a delay pot would
also move the servos. I will check now on my Walkera 4G6V 3 axis.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıbǝɹ
United States, FL, Lutz
Joined Sep 2011
224 Posts
Crank that thing fully CW and try some 3d, Tom. I've set mine back down to the mid point. With it fully CW, I was damn near doing unintentional 3d and scaring the hell out of everyone in the room.