HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
The 2801 is tempting, but I can't help but think that the Genius might be one of the last Walkera's to have an rx for it and that it will be Devo only very soon.
Not to try to 'sell' anyone on the 2801Pro, but you know --when you have something and it's been a good experience, you tend to gush...

Anyway, there are a ton of receivers out there both FBL, motorized tail, regular tail, etc, all the way up to the 2702v which used on the 450-sized FBL bird,and of course the 2801rx... all available to 'pair' with this transmitter for your helis, so I don't think obsolescence is an issue, unless they quickly drop it's compatibility for new models, with the release of the Devo. If they have any sense at all, they will not do that, given the outpouring of people wanting to use it on the Genius... that said, who can tell, but even if they do, I think it's still worth the 'street price' of a used on to snag one.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:11 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
thank you

i'll tinker with values later, i like where it lifts off now, so maybe i'll do what you suggested and change top end to 45

QUOTE=Hellraser;19405979]If it was me razor I would keep middle at 25 if you are happy to lift at center stick (Normal Mode) - then all points above middle inhibit except Top which I put at 45 that should give you 9 deg pitch if my maths is right.

If you decide you want zero pitch at center stick then at a later date you just need to drop middle to zero but you would also need to increase throttle curve a bit at center because you would be lifting on lower throttle.

Yes you are right Idle up uses higher RPM with a V on throttle curve where throttle starts at 100 drops a little at center stick and then back to 100 at full stick.

PS its not wist to try and change mode in mid air when the two curves are so wide apart as Tom will tel you.

Regards David[/QUOTE]

Tom

Ahh, okay now i see what you mean.

thanks

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
You set "ACT" if you want to set the value in percent.
INH is for linear between points.

EX:

PL = 100.0%

P1 = INH

P2 = INH

PM = 80.0%

P3 = INH

P4 = INH

PH = 100.0%

You set your low, mid, and high values that you want. If you want linear points in between you select INH.

I will be posting my Devo 7 TX settings later today.
I just took this example out of one of the settings.

Tom
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:29 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking to get one of these little gems for my first CP, can I ask how the brushed motors are holding up?

Cheers

Carl.
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Your welcome Razor - yes Toms post explains very well just how this new system works for a idle up V shaped throttle curve.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:34 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to get one of these little gems for my first CP, can I ask how the brushed motors are holding up?

Cheers

Carl.
I think the jury is going to be out on that one for a while... it usually takes a pretty good number of users, over a pretty significant time, in order to start forming an impression of overall motor longevity. Even on the mcpx, it is still not clear to me that there is a main motor 'issue' to be concerned about, yet a few people have reported high current draw almost out of box, or premature failure. I replaced one because I was having low battery times and poor tail control, but I only knew to do that since someone else reported that the motor could still me turning and producing good power, but causing the symptoms I had. Sure enough, replacing it solved the symptoms.

While I am interested in knowing that sort of info on the Genius of course, the reality is that at probably $7-12 for a new one, I am not overly concerned about it unless and until spontaneous reports of early failure were to start streaming in.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:36 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
hmm

maybe I should replace my mcpx main

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I think the jury is going to be out on that one for a while... it usually takes a pretty good number of users, over a pretty significant time, in order to start forming an impression of overall motor longevity. Even on the mcpx, it is still not clear to me that there is a main motor 'issue' to be concerned about, yet a few people have reported high current draw almost out of box, or premature failure. I replaced one because I was having low battery times and poor tail control, but I only knew to do that since someone else reported that the motor could still me turning and producing good power, but causing the symptoms I had. Sure enough, replacing it solved the symptoms.

While I am interested in knowing that sort of info on the Genius of course, the reality is that at probably $7-12 for a new one, I am not overly concerned about it unless and until spontaneous reports of early failure were to start streaming in.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

I think with these little brushed cp's Genius and MCP X the motor life will be as much down to collective management and resting between flights as it is to the actual quality of the motor's.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:54 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
I think with these little brushed cp's Genius and MCP X the motor life will be as much down to collective management and resting between flights as it is to the actual quality of the motor's.

Regards David
The biggest thing is how many times and for how long have you had the blades stopped from being able to turn while crashing,, while still having the throttle on..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Jun 2008
472 Posts
The v100d08's motors are brushed, the main has carbon brushes and the tail has the fingers. I was surprised the main motor doesn't get hot and i have a feeling it will last as i have about 50-60 flight on it so far and its still as good as it was as new. As for the tail motor im on my third. The first one i pulled the wires out of the can stripping the wire when i changed the boom and the second one burnt up after the tail was jammed and still running after a crash into next doors garden. It seems to me that the latest motors are much better quality than earlier offerings from Walkera. i remember the 4g3 ones......
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Jun 2011
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
Whats up RM? I ordered the 2801 BL version an I will probably be off work next week. Been working 13 days 12 hrs so haven't had alot of time to fly.
Hey Ronny! I ordered the brushed version a day before I found out that there was going to be a brushless version. I'll run it this way until the motor burns out, then do the conversion. I think I have the ESC already from my CB100. You are going to love this thing. I never messed with expo before on my other helis, but this one is touchy and needs it (thanks for the help Tom!) Looking forward to hearing how you like the BL set-up
RM3Studios is offline Find More Posts by RM3Studios
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:07 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
I wonder how long should we set the flight timer for? 4 minutes perhaps?

It is not good to run down lipos
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:13 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
I set mine to 4.5 min and I only get, Maybe that flight time if I am hovering; FFF maybe 3.5 min if I am lucky.

I don't think these stock Lipos will last long; one of mine is already weak but it's probably my fault.

Zadaw

I think I remember you saying the Bare bones hyp 240's fit?
If so I'll order some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post

Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:18 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I set mine to 4.5 min and I only get, Maybe that flight time if I am hovering; FFF maybe 3.5 min if I am lucky.

I don't think these stock Lipos will last long; one of mine is already weak but it's probably my fault.

Zadaw

I think I remember you saying the Bare bones hyp 240's fit?
If so I'll order some.
I haven't tried any other batteries. I got more than 6.5 minutes of FFF in stunt mode. I did that to test things out but it might have ruined my battery as well.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:19 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:

4 Minutes sounds good for normal/scale flying.

This is from my Genius review:

Flight times: - Stock battery.

3 Minutes: 3.78V

4 Minutes: 3.71V

5 Minutes: 3.68V

158 mah put back into the battery.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:21 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Okay

Must have been someone else then about 240 lipos.

Quote:
I haven't tried any other batteries. I got more than 6.5 minutes of FFF in stunt mode. I did that to test things out but it might have ruined my battery as well.