HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:21 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Question
all i have right now is the um t-28 is the um stryker a good plane to learn on before

i was wondering if the um stryker has jet like controls and should i get that and master that before i get a edf jet. (and of course i would master the um t-28 before i get anything)
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:37 AM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
Hello Airman..

That's cool if you feel that's your path. I would wait a few months and enjoy the small Ums like the T-28 and have a blast getting used to flyin her etc. The Stryker is a good edf trainer but again a handful for someone new to flying etc. Maybe after T-28 try the UM P-51 Mustang then a full size parkzone warbird like a full size T-28 the silver and blue BNF model. Are you using a dx6i or dx8? That's important to master as well as the birds.. Cheers, J.. Happy flying..
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:58 AM
The trees are my hangar
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
I would go for the Um Corsair if I were you, it teaches you trottle management and how to land with power after that you can continue to the Um Stryker.
omer921 is offline Find More Posts by omer921
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:13 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N212LA View Post
That's cool if you feel that's your path. I would wait a few months and enjoy the small Ums like the T-28 and have a blast getting used to flyin her etc. The Stryker is a good edf trainer but again a handful for someone new to flying etc. Maybe after T-28 try the UM P-51 Mustang then a full size parkzone warbird like a full size T-28 the silver and blue BNF model. Are you using a dx6i or dx8? That's important to master as well as the birds.. Cheers, J.. Happy flying..
Yea i dont have a dx6i yet getting one prolly next spring or little before but yea i got into the hobby alittle late this summer and my t-28 was my first plane so it got beat up a bit ao i got all new foam parts well if u look around the fusalog is on backorder every where anywhere so im still waiti g on that 2 weeks later so i flew it for like 4 days took it apart cuz i thought i was gonna have all my parts with in five days so yea i kinda got scewed but i learned basic flying in those 4 days so yea i kinda got screwed but im going to get the dx6i and master my um t-28 with it before i get anything else thanks for the help
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:15 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer921 View Post
I would go for the Um Corsair if I were you, it teaches you trottle management and how to land with power after that you can continue to the Um Stryker.
Ok can you do alot more aroebatics with the crosshair than the t-28?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:30 AM
The trees are my hangar
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Dec 2010
343 Posts
The Corsair is more aerobatic than the T-28 but not by much keep in mind they are both war birds if you want aerobatic go for the Um SU-26Xp it can take quite a beating but you might want to upgrade to a DX6i.
omer921 is offline Find More Posts by omer921
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:39 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer921 View Post
The Corsair is more aerobatic than the T-28 but not by much keep in mind they are both war birds if you want aerobatic go for the Um SU-26Xp it can take quite a beating but you might want to upgrade to a DX6i.
Yea im going to get a dx6i and get used it with t-28 before i get anuthing else so u think master the su-26 then get a stryker?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined May 2006
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
Yea im going to get a dx6i and get used it with t-28 before i get anuthing else so u think master the su-26 then get a stryker?
I would say yes. The Stryker is crazy fast and it gets real small real quick. The Sukhoi is a great plane, I love the heck out of mine, and like the other guy said, they can take a beating pretty well.

But definitely get a DX6i or better before you fly one.
David McAfee is offline Find More Posts by David McAfee
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:50 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
i was wondering if the um stryker has jet like controls and should i get that and master that before i get a edf jet. (and of course i would master the um t-28 before i get anything)
I have the UM Stryker and I have quite a few EDFs. I guess the answer to your question depends on what EDF you're talking about, because there is a very wide flight envelope in the range of EDF offerings. The easiest EDF I've flown would have to be the Hobby Lobby Sabre, it's a pretty good EDF trainer. But it's still quite a bit different than flying the UM Stryker. EDFs require a careful launch, a much larger flying area than UM's, an easier hand on the controls, a "think ahead" flying approach versus just banging the sticks around and a very controlled landing approach. In this respect I'd say the UM Stryker is not going to prepare you for flying an EDF, but the Stryker is a good next step after the T-28 with maybe another plane or two inbetween the Stryker and an EDF.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
I have the UM Stryker and I have quite a few EDFs. I guess the answer to your question depends on what EDF you're talking about, because there is a very wide flight envelope in the range of EDF offerings. The easiest EDF I've flown would have to be the Hobby Lobby Sabre, it's a pretty good EDF trainer. But it's still quite a bit different than flying the UM Stryker. EDFs require a careful launch, a much larger flying area than UM's, an easier hand on the controls, a "think ahead" flying approach versus just banging the sticks around and a very controlled landing approach. In this respect I'd say the UM Stryker is not going to prepare you for flying an EDF, but the Stryker is a good next step after the T-28 with maybe another plane or two inbetween the Stryker and an EDF.
Yea i was thinking about a a-10 worthog from nitro planes would that sound about right after the stryker
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
I'd pick up the UMX Beast if you can get it for $99.

Yes, the beast is a handful. But if you have a DX6i, you can handle it with high expos and low throws.

It's the best deal in the hobby right now. You will crash it. But if you have a solid foundation with the UM T-28, you can handle it. Just make sure to fly in zero wind.

Just so you know, my path was this and I started 2 months ago:

Champ -> UM T-28 -> DX6i -> Super Cub LP -> UMX Beast

I didn't crash the Beast until 12 flights in. She was a lot to handle moving up from the UM T-28, but I was really really careful.

EDIT - Sorry re-read the thread saw that you don't have DX6i. I'll leave this post though for people who do have DX6i and are in your situation for reference.
binaryclock is offline Find More Posts by binaryclock
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined May 2006
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
I'd pick up the UMX Beast if you can get it for $99.

Yes, the beast is a handful. But if you have a DX6i, you can handle it with high expos and low throws.

It's the best deal in the hobby right now. You will crash it. But if you have a solid foundation with the UM T-28, you can handle it. Just make sure to fly in zero wind.

Just so you know, my path was this and I started 2 months ago:

Champ -> UM T-28 -> DX6i -> Super Cub LP -> UMX Beast

I didn't crash the Beast until 12 flights in. She was a lot to handle moving up from the UM T-28, but I was really really careful.

EDIT - Sorry re-read the thread saw that you don't have DX6i. I'll leave this post though for people who do have DX6i and are in your situation for reference.
Only problem is the Beast is much more fragile than the Suk. I agree that it's a great plane, but for someone who is just learning aerobatics I can't recommend it. Still, to each his or her own. The Beast is a fantastic little plane, especially for the price. But for either plane you will want a DX6i or better Tx.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:15 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McAfee View Post
Only problem is the Beast is much more fragile than the Suk. I agree that it's a great plane, but for someone who is just learning aerobatics I can't recommend it. Still, to each his or her own. The Beast is a fantastic little plane, especially for the price. But for either plane you will want a DX6i or better Tx.
Agreed. But once you go beast you don't go back Well I guess I do... I fly my UM T-28 and Champ daily
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined May 2006
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock View Post
Agreed. But once you go beast you don't go back Well I guess I do... I fly my UM T-28 and Champ daily
Sad thing is, I want a Champ. Bad. I'd love to have a little floater to fly every once in a while.

The thing that makes the Beast so great is the motor. That brushless setup makes it faster than any of the brushed UMs (P-51, Corsair, T-28, Sukhoi, etc.) But today I flew my Stryker UM. Right after that I flew my Beast. The Beast felt slow. *gasp!* I know it's not, but after that Stryker I think just about anything would feel slow. Well, anything short of a turbine jet.

I'm seriously thinking about buying the full size Stryker. Someone at the LHS told me they had both the full size Stryker and a Habu, and that the Habu was the slower of the two. Not sure I believe that, but according to the website the full size Stryker can reach speeds in excess of 85 mph!

That's. Friggin'. Fast.

Hmm...everything I just said is pretty much off topic. Apologies to the OP.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
I hate winter!
Canada, ON, Barrie
Joined Jul 2011
1,737 Posts
I'll make a reference to the OP with my reply. I think this conversation is good. I recommended a UMX, and you're exploring it for the OP.

Sometimes speed isn't everything. Some people like it, some people get bored with it after a few flybys.

I like being able to fly scale. The stryker doesn't strike me as scale. Although it can fly really slow.

This is also why the Sbach appeals to be more than the stryker, but not as much as the beast appeals to me.

OP - these UMXs are fragile, but out of all the UMXs, the Beast is the one that can fly and perform nice aerobatics slowly. The stryker can go slow, but it doesn't have the same bag of tricks the beast does.