HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2001, 05:43 PM
Beverly Hills, MI.
Joined Jul 2000
110 Posts
Adam,
Thanks for the fast reply. I love this forum. I am just getting ready to start a Laser Arts "Sovereign" (2M pod and boom). This one is going to be the glider version for 2M club contests next spring. If it comes out well I want to convert a second one. From other posts here, I didn't think a geared 480 would be enough so looking at 500 size, but light and 2 to 3 climbs and bec operation is my goal. The glider version is advertisted around 38-40 oz I think. Any advice on what works?
Thanks again - Jack
Jack Rowland is offline Find More Posts by Jack Rowland
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2001, 07:41 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Don't get too worried about saving every possible ounce on this plane. The airframe is the issue. It isn't nearly as light as an electric 3M Bird of Time. Also, you will have a hard time getting it to balance. But at weight it still thermals nicely. Mine is Powered by an Aveox F-16 LMR. On 16 cells it goes unlimited verticle after a 200' level run. On 20 cells it goes verticle! Because of it's size it will grab bigger thermals up higher. It slows down nicely, and with a touch of flaps it cores a pretty small thermal.
The flap servos need to be robust because when landing with 90 degrees flaps they tend to take a beating when a flap hits tall grass or dirt mounds. But 90 degrees make landing in a small field quite easy. Also, use better control rods. The white ones with crimped ends that come in the kit are too flexible.
This is a very nice plane. You will like it!

Charley
CharleyRexom is offline Find More Posts by CharleyRexom
Old Oct 24, 2001, 08:14 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,122 Posts
Do the wings mount at the same AOA every time you install them?

Is the mounting like the Elipsoid?

The Elipsoid (which I think is made by the same mfg as the XL3200) has two bent rods, a thick one and a thin one, which set in holes in the fuse and then the two wings slip onto the rods. I have an Elipsoid, and I've noticed the wings never mount exactly the same each time.

I've been looking at a more expensive plane, the Cumulus-e from Shredair, because of this. It's wings mount onto a rod, but are kept at the same AOA each time to two alignment pins, one each at the leading and trailing edge.

Tim Green
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Old Oct 24, 2001, 08:27 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Tim Green

I had a wing alignment problem on my XL 3200 that was caused by the wing tubes being installed at a fore-aft angle. It was impossible to get the same AOA and dihedral twice. New wings with tubes at 90 degrees to the root solved it. Even if I install the wings wrong, they will self center.

Charley
CharleyRexom is offline Find More Posts by CharleyRexom
Old Oct 25, 2001, 05:27 PM
Jim in Santee
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Final power system selection

Adam -- I think I'm going with the following setup:

Hacker B40 10L w/4.4:1 gearbox
JETI JES40-3P Controller
Graupner CAM 16x10 prop (couldn't find a 15x10 which seems a better fit)
Sanyo 1250SCR 8-cell packs for lighter lift conditions
Sanyo 1700SCR or 2000SCR 8-cell packs for windier conditions

MotoCalc predicts that this combination will provide a climb of 1247ft/min at a 42 degree angle. This puts the flying weights at 77.6 oz (11.5 oz sq/ft wing loading) for the 1250 pack and 80.7 oz (12oz sq/ft wing loading) for 1700 pack. This looks like I'll have a light wing loading but with strong climb performance and good duration.

My only concern is that I might be overpropping with the 16x10. I'd use a 15x10 if I can locate one. With the 16x10 the amps go as high as 45 and the temp as high as 198. See the attached MotoCalc report. Of course, I only plan to run the motor for burst of 30-60 seconds to get to thermal altitude and then shut it off.

It looks like it is very important to use SCR batteries. When I tried other batteries either the performance went down significantly and/or MotoCalc warned me that the battery would run too hot.

MotoCalc question: How do I know how much duration I will get? The report shows times for each airspeed so I assume that I need to figure out my best rate-of-climb airspeed and the time next to that is my duration.

Again I appreciate the input! I'm planning on calling Aero-Model today and ordering!

Jim
jshelton is offline Find More Posts by jshelton
Last edited by jshelton; Oct 25, 2001 at 05:31 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2001, 05:48 PM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
Hi Jim; Look here; http://www.hobby-lobby.com/freuden.htm

Hobby lobby has a 15X9.5. You need to buy the blades; yoke; spinner and collet to fit your setup.
You might have trouble getting hold of Sean for a week he is moving and his wife just had a baby So he is taking a week off to get caught up on the home front.

Looks like you have a good setup. And yes when you start getting up in the amps it really seperates the good batteries from the bad ones. The higher the amps the narrower the selection gets.
Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Oct 26, 2001, 01:37 AM
Jim in Santee
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Final power system selection

Adam -- I think I'm going with the following setup:

Hacker B40 10L w/4.4:1 gearbox
JETI JES40-3P Controller
Graupner CAM 16x10 prop (couldn't find a 15x10 which seems a better fit)
Sanyo 1250SCR 8-cell packs for lighter lift conditions
Sanyo 1700SCR or 2000SCR 8-cell packs for windier conditions

MotoCalc predicts that this combination will provide a climb of 1247ft/min at a 42 degree angle. This puts the flying weights at 77.6 oz (11.5 oz sq/ft wing loading) for the 1250 pack and 80.7 oz (12oz sq/ft wing loading) for 1700 pack. This looks like I'll have a light wing loading but with strong climb performance and good duration.

My only concern is that I might be overpropping with the 16x10. I'd use a 50x10 if I can locate one. With the 16x10 the amps go as high as 45 and the temp as high as 198. See the attached MotoCalc report. Of course, I only plan to run the motor for burst of 30-60 seconds to get to thermal altitude and then shut it off.

It looks like it is very important to use SCR batteries. When I tried other batteries either the performance wetn down significantly and/or MotoCalc warned me that the battery would run too hot.

Again I appreciate the input! I'm planning on calling Aero-Model today and ordering!

Jim
jshelton is offline Find More Posts by jshelton
Old Oct 12, 2002, 11:24 PM
North Carolina
Joined Oct 2002
65 Posts
eclipse and XL3200

I have an Xl3200 with an Eclipse system, it is well powered with a Kontronik 1001, boy does it fly. I have it set up as per the eclipse instructions with flaps and ailerons in the crow function on the throttle stick and the motor on/off on a ch3 switch. The problem is that I am quite dissappointed that the only amber/reflex control I have with the flight condition switch is with the flaps only as the trnsmitter will not add the ailrons to this in a switched function. Any suggestions?
rmartin is offline Find More Posts by rmartin
Old Oct 13, 2002, 08:43 AM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,012 Posts
xl 3200

@jshelton :

Back to your initial question about the servos :

I think the HS-225 MG's would be overkill, I fly a Cumulus e from CHK , ( full-house, 3.4m wingspan ), and I am using HS-85MG on the flaps, HS-81 MG on the ailerons, and Multiplex Cockpit BB on rudder and elevator, and it works perfectly !

Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT