SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:00 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
812 Posts
Question
How to Reverse Rotation on a Brushed Motor

Is this just a matter of reversing the two power wires to the motor? Or, is there more to it, like doing anything with the capacitors?
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatenever View Post
Is this just a matter of reversing the two power wires to the motor? Or, is there more to it, like doing anything with the capacitors?
Capacitors are just there to reduce EM noise. Switch the wires. Some brushed motors are timed (optimized) to run better in one direction than another by rotating the can a few degrees one way or another. If you reverse the direction they will run just fine, but not be able to put out as much power (rpm) in the new direction.

You can fine tune many brushed motors by timing or rotating the case, if it's really important that you wring out every last bit of power or efficiency from it.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:28 PM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
No, they are DC motors, the commutators do the switching, though the motor can be optimized for 1 direction like having inclined and or interleaved commutation angles...

some reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_(electric)

Z
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-matrix View Post
No, they are DC motors, the commutators do the switching, though the motor can be optimized for 1 direction like having inclined and or interleaved commutation angles...

some reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_(electric)

Z
??? I've been reversing brushed motors for years, simply by switching the wires. Or am I reading your answer wrong?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
just look at it smokin'
Joined Dec 2005
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
??? I've been reversing brushed motors for years, simply by switching the wires. Or am I reading your answer wrong?
Well you posted while i was writing and you are reading it wrong, i have said no for the capacitor thing, it is not an AC motor that runs off 3 phase
z-matrix is offline Find More Posts by z-matrix
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-matrix View Post
Well you posted while i was writing and you are reading it wrong, i have said no for the capacitor thing, it is not an AC motor that runs off 3 phase
Ah, ok. got it.

Yes he can reverse the motor direction simply by reversing his wires. We're in agreement.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:37 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
We're in agreement.
Whew! I'm so glad. Thanks for the info.
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Whew! I'm so glad. Thanks for the info.
Hi Chatenever,

I have brushed motors that are run direct drive (no gearbox) that must obviously turn in one direction in order to fly correctly.

I use the same motor, though in gearboxes, which mean they must now turn in the opposite direction; so that after going through the gearbox, they are once again spinning the correct direction.

Most of these motors are the run of the mill el cheapo motors supplied by vendors such as GWS, et al.

They are timed 'neutral' which is a fancy word for saying that they spin in both directions equally efficiently.

All I need do is switch the leads. And so I do. And the planes fly beautifully.

PS: I'm a dyed in the wool lover of brushed motors and gearboxes (old fashioned but often times way more efficient than the modern day brushless outrunners).

My absolute BEST flying planes (for me) use brushed motors and gearboxes...

It's all in the parameters we want to optimize.

Chuck