HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Discussion
Changing things up a bit.

As most of you know, the last 10 years or so have been just a bit busy for me. Bear with me, and follow along.

It started with a move from Virginia to Kansas in Dec 02. The, 2 months later, off I went to Iraq for 15 months. After that, 7 months in Kansas, then another year in Iraq. Came back from Iraq, 30 days later moved to Alabama for a year and a half of INSANE schooling to become a Warrant Officer and UH-60 Blackhawk pilot. Then, a move to Tennessee. Arrived at Ft. Campbell, a few short months later, off to Bagram Afghanistan for a year. Back to TN for 14 months, then off to Kandahar, Afghanistan for another year. Came back from Kandahar, put the house up for sale, and moved to Alabama.

So, here we are. 10 years later. DONE with deployments!!! Working a good job, with good hours and good people. I FINALLY have time and just a little money, to work on my cars. So, 2 weeks ago I decided my 1970 Challenger (that has been sitting for 12 years) needed to be put on the road.

First step, buy all new brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends etc...

Next step, build new 400ish HP 360cid engine.

Whats next? put it all together and drive it!

Then, paint and body work.

Then, ENJOY the fruits of my labor.

Next up after the Challenger is my 69 Dodge Charger thats been sitting for 21 years... YES, 21 years!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2011, 08:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
Let me get this straight, you have a 69 Charger, 70 Challenger and two old pickup trucks? How did you move them all?

My brother and I belonged to the Mopars Unlimited club in Milwaukee, many years ago. I had some real unusual Mopars, wish I had them now. My first was the 62 Belvedere Max Wedge with floor stalk mounted typewriter shifter for the TorqueFlite. It was serious drag racing fun. I can't recall if it was 413 or 426 ci.

The second was a 65 Coronet drag hemi 2 door sedan. It had dual ram Holleys, a rock crusher 4 speed with cut syncro rings and a Hurst competition plus shifter. It had dog feeding dish hug caps, big black wheels, aluminum bumpers that weren't even polished, real cheap bench seat with picnic tablecloth fabric and a giant hood scoop. It had 13.5 to 1 compression and very loose lifters that clattered like hell until it warmed up and two batteries in the trunk. It was entirely stock. The clutch was so heavy, you had to grip the bottom of the steering wheel to get enough leverage to push it in. It got 2 - 3 mpg on the street and had to have the lifters set and plugs replaced every two weeks. It was a seriously nasty street machine, but it looked like something your Grandpa would drive (except for the hood scoop)!

Next up was a 340 Duster. A nice little car, but very tame next to the drag hemi. I only had it for 2 weeks when a semi went through a red light and ran over the front end.

My last good Mopar was a 440 6 pack Challenger in 1971. I wish I had kept that one. I had a 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z, but that's nothing like the old v8s.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:13 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
You've had some cool stuff Balr14! And yes, Im lucky enough to have kept a couple of the cars I have bought over the years. Wish I could have kept them all.

I have a 07 3500 Cummins and a 40' enclosed goosneck race trailer. Used that to move everything down here to Alabama.

Laine.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 08:21 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
The 70s were awful times for car nuts! With emission controls, discontinuing leaded gas, much lower octane and gas shortages, nobody knew what to do with their high performance cars. Most of us sold them because we didn't know if we would find fuel to drive them, or if we could afford it. Octane boosters cost a fortune and lead helped cushion valve seats. Then, when they came out with those god-awful 5 mph impact bumpers that looked like aluminum I beams, I went looking for cars from the 30s and 40s. My "performance cars" from then until the 90s were a 34 Oldsmobile and 37 Chevy.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:24 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Nice. I hear ya. The late 70s were tough. I was little then, but I remember the early 80s very well.

I also have a 47 Dodge truck sitting here too with a IFS, rack and pinion, disc brakes, small block, 4 speed etc...

Laine.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:49 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
this is my car, i havent seen it yet. all i really know is that it needs a drive shaft, fuel lines/tanks flushed and a carb rebuild and i'm sure alot more i would love to go and get it but i don't know where to store it it can't really just sit the open. it has a 383 stroker. according to my dad there is only 2 known in canada. its pretty rought but should be nice again one day...
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:28 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Looks like a 72 Charger to me. It would have a normal Dodge 383 in it more than likely not a stroker. A Chevy 350 with a Chevy 400 crank is a 383 stroker.

Great cars though, and the 383 is a good engine. That one looks to be in pretty nice shape. I like the color too. Looks like Petty blue.

Laine.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:40 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
yep its a 72 with petty blue and a white top, also it's not stock he built that engine
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:28 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Cool. Hope you figure out a way to get it on the road soon. Old cars are so much fun.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
I'm trying to convice my grandpa to let me put the car in his yard behinde some trees because once the snow hits its stuck untill late spring when it dries up.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:28 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Laine, those are some nice rides you have there. I too am a Mopar head. I am a Ford Senior Master Diesel Certified Technician but have always been a Mopar dude. I was misguided once and owned a couple of Fords, a Nissan and over 15 Vee Dubs but I am back to only Mopar. Hopefully my child support will end next month and after the wife and I get some bills payed down we will be able to start working on her '69 Coronet 500 convertible. I also have to sell my '66 Chrysler Newport. Also thanks for your service to protect our freedom.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:31 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thanks Gluemaster. Sounds like you got a couple nice ones yourself! I figure, you can never have too many hobbies or projects... Keeps me from ever being bored! Now, if I could find a way to keep myself from being broke, THEN things would be better!

Laine.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:00 PM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Man, that's the same problem I'm having. Seems I'm working harder for less and less. They keep cutting warranty times and we are seeing less customer pay work. I'll still find a way to enjoy my hobbies though.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:43 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
662 Posts
nice car

MOPAR OR NO CAR. That is gonna be sweet.I'm gonna try to land a 67' or 69' notchback Barracuda next year. Welcome home, thanks for serving
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid
Old Oct 08, 2011, 08:34 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Well, as long as we keep having fun we're ok then Gluemaster! Its when the fun stops that things get bad.

Californiakid, your right, Mopar or no car. There are a few 67-69s around. Lucky for you they dont sell as high as the 70-74s do. My wife wants a 71.... she's gonna be waiting awhile I think.

Laine.