SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:23 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Build Log
ST Models ASW-28 detailing and scale graphics project

ST Models ASW 28 2,0 meter Segelfliegen (3 min 9 sec)

ST ASW28 Maiden (4 min 7 sec)

(note this is not my video but what the ASW-28 sailplane looks like for ref. - Thank you Steve and Mr. Kamikazi for the video down under! )

I just can't leave anything alone or stock, and I got my grubby hands on this ST Models ASW-28 2 meter sailplane before I've even flown it!

Loads more photos, details and descriptions, read on...
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Oct 08, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:24 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
ST Models ASW-28 Scale graphics project

Some points after going through all the fixes in this thread and analyzing the sailplane...
- Spinner and prop look horrible. It might work well, but just has a pug nose look, poor little guy. I painted the stock one white which helps a little bit. Working on an easy direct scale replacement, stay tuned on this....

- Cockpit and canopy lines are over exaggerated in the roundness shape and the black tape had to go. I added my interpretation and feel with white vinyl to make the cockpit and canopy more scale looking.

- Winglets are so fragile that they feel like snapping off if touched too hard or if you looked at them wrong... Silly, TOTALLY fixed that, see note, photos and captions below.

(WINGLET NOTE: I've recently covered one of my ST models DG-1000 fuselages with light weight spackle filler (LWS), 3M Super77 spray glue, light cloth cotton fabric, CA glue (for the seams), Minwax Polycrilic Water Based Polyurethane (WBPU) and a final coat of Krylon white paint. STUNNING results and only added a little weight for a total AUW of 968 grams.

Anyway, I thought I would give a go with the ASW-28 winglets and try the same method but, instead of the Minwax WBPU I used Zap CA right on the cloth (yuppers, just soak 'er right up) to create an AMAZINGLY strong wing tip. Crazy. I almost need to run a strip of the same mixture under the wing to connect it on, it is that strong. After discovering this, I am contemplating covering my other DG-1000 fuselage the same way.)

Suisse ASW-28 graphics
Added some of my http://kewlartdesigns.com sticker set graphics from an extra proof set I had laying around of my ASK-21 kits and made it look special I'll be adding the ASW-28 set to my website.

Cockpit detailing
I dialed in an ultra scale HK pilot and painted the cockpit with Tamiya PC grey, black paints. I made the pilot a head rest seat by taking a photo from Alexander Schliecher's ASW-28 website of the REAL interior fabric, duplicating this into a fabric swatch in Photoshop, then printing it out on my ink-jet on paper to fit over a balsa head rest. Used 3M Super77 spray glue and applied the 'fabric' like it was the real deal, by making corner cuts, etc. then CA glued it in. Width is 1.85" for the seat.

REAL deal scan of ASW-28 cockpit fabric headrest, printed out on an ink-jet!

Install HK Ultra Scale pilots by; remove canopy, trace pilot outline in foam, cut out foam, CA glue back in flat, paint canopy, glue pilot in, then add finished head rest.

Spinner off, graphics on.

On the bench for Rx set-up, alt. spinner research.

Fabric swatch left overs, seat outline.

Winglet with 3M Super77 spray glue, cloth fabric.

Underside of winglet with CA glue on LE/TE to secure.

Topside of winglet with CA glue on LE/TE to secure.

Add pencil lines to help with cutting.

Cutting with fresh xacto #11 blade.

Cutting with sharp scissors help too.

Use Zap Medium CA to soak ALL the fabric. Epoxy like strength but, lightweight.

Threaded motorshaft sans prop hub.

Trimmed cloth and CA

Sanded Cloth

AMAZINGLY strong. MoF, the winglet is stronger than the whole wing! Next will be light weight spackle filler and then red paint.

ASW-28 seat fabric swatch
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
ST Models ASW-28 Winglet strength test

Here are the money shots !

The fragile winglets on our lovely ST model ASW-28 are no more... I am holding the weight of the wing by the winglet!!

- 3M Super7 spray glue
- Old cotton cloth bed sheet (with Edelweiss pattern )
- Zap Medium CA soaked into cloth
- Sanded with 220

I still have to final finish with Light Weight Spackle (LWS), sand with 400, and paint these red but, OMG they are strong!!! Totally AMAZING.

Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:26 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Painted Winglets

I finished sanding the CA soaked cloth and painted the winglets with Krylon red pepper spray paint. I ended up adding another thin layer of CA to one side of the winglets. The first coat wasn't enough. Make sure to cover the fabric so you have a gel coat like depth. Sand as needed later to a smooth finish removing any high spots with 220, then 400.

Cheers, Thompson
"Scale Sailplane enthusiast on a foam budget "
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:55 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Updating progress...

- Created a cooling scoop, looks like a nice little happy smiling ASW-28 sailplane now! Clothfibre CA glassed style.

- I couldn't stand the little black plastic siliconed in battery/ESC tray with rubber band. Nicked this.

- Carved out some foam on the sides to get the motor wires and ESC to lay flat as possible.

- Built a battery tray with GoG adjustability in mind.

- Routed the AR600 long antenna wire in the clear antenna tube, this runs the length of the plane, small short wire routed straight up, 90 deg to it. Hopefully this is correct?

Note: I placed everything in and up on the balancer, removed my hands and it was level - huh? Maybe one of the winglets is hung up on some crap on my workbench? Naa, it was LEVEL and balancing. OMG, I've never had a sailplane do that, ever.

I have a feeling this is going to be a happy flying plane.

Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:57 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Replacement spinner and propeller for the ST Models ASW-28

Here is the data I found out...

I took off my Art-Tech ASK-21 spinner and prop and moved it over. It looks to be a 10.5x6. The spinner diam is 40mm and hub width is 5 or 6mm, but here's the best part, it fits right on to the ASW-28 motorshaft! The only mod you will need to do is trim the nose foam back about 5-8mm to make up the difference and possibly trim the length of the motorshaft down 5mm to fit the spinner, that's it.

Unfortunately, you can't just run out and just buy these, as they are on backorder through Hobby-Lobby. HK is also selling their own branded version of the Art-Tech ASK-21 and prop/spinner set-up, but no parts are listed. I've got four paid for and ordered, but not sure of the ETA through Hobby-Lobby, will advise.

My plan is to buy an Aeronaut 9x6 prop and file down the prop hubs to fit.

This ASK-21 spinner transforms the look and is very light plastic too.

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:03 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
AUW results with scoop, stiffened winglets

AUW this morning is at 608 grams (21.446 oz).

- HK Zippy 2S 1300mAh
- Stiffened and reinforced winglets (fibrecloth+CA)
- Cooling scoop with fibrecloth+CA
- HK ultra detailed sailplane pilot and custom balsa with printed fabric seat back
- Painted canopy interior with Tamiya PC-1 black and gray
- kewlartdesigns.com sticker set
- 3M packaging tape on LE, elevator and underwings
- This AUW also includes a total front fuselage reinforcement. I added some of my fibrecloth+CA mix with basswood strips.

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:04 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Elevator control wire tube fix

My ASW-28 elevator servo was sticking and never really centered on neutral. Quick remedy was to make the elevator wire exit at a more horizontal angle and lubricate the wire with a few drops of Tri-Flow.

I ended up inserting a small 1cm section of golden rod tube on top of the clear elevator control wire tube to force it down. Just stuffed it into the EPO rudder area and over the clear tube. Seems to work well. Trimmed the top of the rudder a tick also.

Balanced right on the money with the 2S 1300mAh 20C shoved mostly to the front, no other weight needed for fore and aft. The ASW-28 will just sit on my balancer forever and not move at all ! Side to side wing balancing required some adjustments due to me covering the winglets. One US dime in the small area under one wing and some small 40mm squares of white vinyl underneath the other wing.

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Fitted the Art-Tech ASK-21 spinner and propeller

I lopped off close to about 5mm of the fuselage nose foam and that's it. Bolted right on.

Several advantages
1. This is a replacement propeller and spinner that looks correct
2. The propeller blades actually fit against the fuselage cleaner and are more tucked in - more aerodynamic for gliding.
3. By dropping to a 9.5 propeller size the motor should be able to gain some RPMs.

ST Model ASW-28 propeller
10 x 6

Art-Tech ASK-21 propeller
9.5 x 6

I don't have a watt meter, but I did run the motor at WOT for at least a minute on the bench and seemed fine. Battery was cold, ESC was barely warm if at all.

Q. Does anyone think I'll need to upgrade the original ESC because I've dropped down to a 9.5 x 6?
I'm running a Zippy 1300mAh, 20C and stock motor, stock ESC. I have a spare Mystery 30A just in case.

I'll try to get it up in the air and test.

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:11 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Marginal damage

Damage incurred during training sessions was very minor. Really, if you weren't looking you'd never see the damage. Took a couple of cracks on either side in the rear section of the nose after the reinforced areas. CA+kicker and some light weight spackle and I'm ready for another fibrecloth+CA covered fuselage!

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:11 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Added Dihedral !

Old camping tent aluminum peg with looped end cut off worked well. I just needed to thin the overall diameter with a file and sandpaper so it slipped in the spar snuggly.

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:12 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Pilot's broken arm

Poor little dude keeps breaking his arm on my landing shunts! I need more practice to say the least.

Here's the first stages of my signature studioRS fibrecloth+CA covering.

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Art-Tech ASK-21 replacement prop size

The replacement propeller #51059 from Art-Tech is a 9.5x6, not the 10.5x6 as supplied in the kit. Hmm, upgraded production fix?

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Covered! Photos of the cloth + CA ZAP glue.

I finished covering the entire fuselage with the fibrecloth+CA. I bought a 4oz bottle of medium ZAP and went to town. Used very little, or a lot less than I thought it would require. Initial coverage gets slightly lumpy in spots and crusty as the CA soaks into the cloth and dries quickly on the EPO. I can tell you guys this, absolutely zero tail flex and this will be a great slope soaring sailplane. Im going have to worry about wing flex now! Hopefully the very little additional weight won't affect thermaling.

If the weight is too much for the stock motor, and 2S, I have a Turnigy 2210-1400kv bell outrunner on it's way. HK shows this rated at 210w, 24A max. With the new Art-Tech ASK-21 9.5x6 spinner/propeller, should make climb outs interesting. I might need to run a 30A HK Blue ESC, and 3S 1300mHa 20C instead of the 2S 1300mHa.

I'm in the sanding stages now and this method of covering is much better than using the Minwax Polycrylic as it is very strong. All the high spots sand right off amazingly easily and almost has the feel of gelcoat, the weight seems to be within reasonable spec too. As the same with my DG-1000 I plan to just paint white and not use primer.

Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Final painting

Painting came out nice. I had a tough time trying to balance with a 2S 1300mAh, needed around 105grams in the nose for a battery weight.

Bingo! Drop a 3S 1300mAh in

New adjusted AUW is 730grams with
- 3S 1300mAh
- HK 30A Blue ESC
- ASK-21 spinner and 9.5x6 prop
- Fibrecloth+CA covering
- Primer
- White paint
- Pilot
- New aluminum wing spar dihedral rod
- Stickers

The strength of the upgraded fuselage is amazing, hopefully enough for my fledgling pilot skills! I'll test this out on the 9.5x6 propeller, might have to swap blades to the 10.5x6. Hopefully the motor keeps it's cool...