HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JLT_GTI, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:22 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,356 Posts
Discussion
Elapor Soup FTW

My good old (can you call old a 15 month plane?) Clouds Fly (aka AXN Floater) has had a lucky life so far.. it has had it share of crashes but really so far nothing too serious (i have seen pics of AXNs splited in half, broken wings, motor mount separated, nose broken off or totally smashed/splited, burned to a crisp.. you name it).. it has hit a tree (twice) it has smashed head-on on the ground after a loop dive, it has smashed into the side of a small hill landing..

Last week some weird low altitude mistake/glitch ended in a pretty mucho nose down smash against the ground.. still nothing to much serious but the nose was really bent this time.. i have had the CloudsFly nose repaired several times but the nose has been a bit "compressed" for a lot of its life actually ..

Not anymore.. i made my mind and decided to try on the AXN the famous "Elapor soup" wich consists in basically boil a big pot of water (as big to at least get the affected part in) and just when its about to boil (or if its boiling switch off the kitchen and let it get below boiling) and sumerge the affected part for some minutes..

And it works.. actually it worked so well that the nose recovered the shape of the original nose lost more than one year ago.. only "minus" its the EPO/EPP "bubbles" expanding but that can be mostly diminished using a spoon to "smooth" the surface "bruishing" it before the EPO colds down..

since one image is better than a thousand words.. here are the before and after pics:

Actually.. as a funny note.. a stock AXN is 85cm long.. the nose before repairing was 83.5cm long.. after ther soup it was full 85 again..

And after glueing and fixing all cracks and re-painting this is how looks now:

I had actually performed the soup in a HawkSky that was launched at a slope the weekend before and its Rx switched off 2 seconds after launch with the result of a 4m dive into the ground nose first.. the soup worked perfectly

Its funny..in both cases the nose was so smashed and cracked that first toughts were about buying new fuselages..but after repairings are done the noses looks almost good as new and those toughts go away..

Tought i put this to ilustrate the effects of Elapor Soup in repairings...i have seen far far worst crashed in EPP/EPO planes wich ended up like new after the soup and some repairing/reinforcing.. so dont hesitare in using it to reborn your smashed foamie... just renember .. water hot almost boiling but not boiling or above..and keep a spoon nearby to smooth the surface before it colds down
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:09 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Well done!

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh