HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:53 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
That Spruce Goose is pretty bad ass! Any idea of what scale it was?
Don't know but it was used in the movie The Aviator

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:08 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
So has everyone got there Oculus built for the new flying season.

Clarence
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:13 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
645 Posts
carbon cap strips

About the carbon cap strips....are those on all ribs on all the wing sections both top and bottom? If they're on the bottom am I sanding the trailing edge of the ribs to almost nothing back by the trailing edge carbon?

Sorry if someone posted pictures of this area already in the thread.

Skye
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:38 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070 View Post
About the carbon cap strips....are those on all ribs on all the wing sections both top and bottom? If they're on the bottom am I sanding the trailing edge of the ribs to almost nothing back by the trailing edge carbon?

Sorry if someone posted pictures of this area already in the thread.

Skye
Hi Skye

I am just running off to work right now but here is a quick answer carbon both top and bottom, let the carbon tail run out on the trailing edge and then cut and sand the carbon flush with the trailing edge.
take a sanding bar smooth grit and go over the airfoil you just capped, all you are trying to do at this point is clean up the carbon edges that stick up.

now take a small sanding stick, I use a Popsicle stick with a bit of sand paper on it and use it to sand the carbon as it goes over the trailing edge...it won't take much work but all you are trying to do is smooth out the cap strip, you will have a small bump left where the cap strip comes over the trailing edge stock and that little bit will help to keep the trailing edge attached to the ribs.

I think I posted pictures of some of this but I can't recall...so I hope this helps if you have any more questions I should be back home around 7 pm mountain time.

Clarence
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:45 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Boy time runs away so fast, today I got in a few hours on My E-Oculus and it won't be to long before it is done. I have a few things to do on the fuse...mount servos, finish the tail belcrank.
and I am also re working My wing with new covering and spoilers one more bay longer so I will have a bit more stopping power for the E-Oculus. So now the wing will be used on Oculus fuse #2 and E-Oculus fuse #33. Flying season is fast approaching time to get it done.

Clarence
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:19 PM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethermal View Post
Boy time runs away so fast, today I got in a few hours on My E-Oculus and it won't be to long before it is done. I have a few things to do on the fuse...mount servos, finish the tail belcrank.
and I am also re working My wing with new covering and spoilers one more bay longer so I will have a bit more stopping power for the E-Oculus. So now the wing will be used on Oculus fuse #2 and E-Oculus fuse #33. Flying season is fast approaching time to get it done.

Clarence
Clarence,
I may fly different than most,but I do not fly in contest. What I do know is, I initially set my spoilers for 90 degrees. Good thing I was high up, because the thing was pointing the nose ,nearly straight down. I use about 35 degrees and manage the glide with the elevator. I have practiced the landing and can get it withing a 3 foot circle. It might save the work adding an extra bay.
vfrank59 is offline Find More Posts by vfrank59
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:58 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrank59 View Post
I have practiced the landing and can get it withing a 3 foot circle. It might save the work adding an extra bay.
Adding an extra bay is very easy the main thing I had to do was make 2 new spoiler blades.

Yes I can land in a 3 foot zone but the air is thinner at the altitude that I am at 5300 ft above sea level so the air is a bit thinner and it makes for faster planes and faster landings and during the summer I love to go up to the mountains and that brings the altitude up to 10,000 feet.

But the main reason for adding the bay is for ALES flying, the rules do not allow for any landing arresting devices (no skegs) and you need to bring it to almost a crawl and land so you don't kill the prop and motor.

Right now I have three different Oculus versions
Fuse #2 is the carbon RES version
Fuse #22 is the woody RES version
Fuse #33 is the Electric RES version

So it makes sense to keep the landing ability the same for all three planes.

Clarence
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:23 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
So the Blue #4 Oculus flies!

Went out today to test fly a new plane. All the hard work that went into this plane to get it just right took a little longer than most. It took flight just like it came from the factory.

The first flight launched right into a thermal and went out of sight in a matter of minutes. Not much trimming needed but did have to change a few settings before we started. All went well for this beautifully airplane today.

This is the same model that won at the AMA show in Jan.

Jay I hope that you enjoy your new Oculus as much as I do mine!

Merrill
Mr B.... is online now Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:36 PM
Flyin Low
Simi Valley, Calif
Joined Nov 2007
229 Posts
Merrill,
I had a real nice time flying with you and Warren today. I thought the Oculus flew great and looked great. You did a fine job on it - at 56oz! FUW. I don’t think I could have done a nicer job. Thanks. Now I need to get it ready for May.
J-Bird 662 is offline Find More Posts by J-Bird 662
Last edited by J-Bird 662; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:08 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoked6.0 View Post
That Spruce Goose is pretty bad ass! Any idea of what scale it was?
Just over 1/16.
UberZogster is online now Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:09 AM
andrew wallace
coleraine ,northern ireland
Joined Mar 2007
56 Posts
hi Clarence
my Oculus #28 is all ready to go for it's first flight, i'm just waiting for a bit of good weather and that's hard to come by in Ireland this time of year
the first round of our thermal competition starts on Sunday 24th march so i'll have a good bit of flying to do before then

andrew
andrew wallace is offline Find More Posts by andrew wallace
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:24 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Hi Andrew
It is good to hear that another Oculus will soon take to the air...In all the time I spent in London I recall it was always a wet spring with little periods of great weather.

Clarence
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:56 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
493 Posts
I have the flaps cut in, servos and wires installed and ready to recover the wings. It will be a bit before I can test fly the plane, the weather here just sucks
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:30 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
I would like to see a pic of this.

Merrill
Mr B.... is online now Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
493 Posts
Here is a few pictures.. I used the original carbon TE on the new aileron stock and faced the horizontal leading edge with carbon fiber stock. The aileron stock is allmost 2" wide. I made a servo tray and laminated carbon fiber servo covers.
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld