HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:23 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
A little over a year ago I started working on a build on a Oculus. The number in this one is #4 and was laid up last Christmas day. With all of the work thats going on in the shop I just haven't had time to get back on this project. Now that things are moving along in the shop it's time to complete this special project. We have just laid up #46 fuse. Half of them have been laid as the E-fuse. In a year of production I have come along way and have learned so much. With a few print mods coming for the E-fuse. I hope to have that added on the print soon and then it will be complete kit for both models in one kit. Now that I have been doing the Flaming RED fuse it has been coming out lighter under 12oz.

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Jun 2012
10 Posts
Started my E Oculus build

I received my kit w/Fuse #41 last week. Started laying out the center section last night. After cracking a wing rib, I decided to slide all the ribs on the center spar at one time, space them along the spar by eyeball then lay the spar with ribs down on the plans. It only required some minor adjustment to get everything lined up. Worked for me.

I really like the building tabs on the ribs.Everything is perfectly aligned.

Jim
Jim 17112 is offline Find More Posts by Jim 17112
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:18 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 17112 View Post
I really like the building tabs on the ribs.Everything is perfectly aligned.
Jim
The building tabs make a world of difference in getting things just right.

Clarence
onethermal is online now Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,830 Posts
Concreteman appears.

Thanks, Merrill.... Why am I thanking Merrill? Welll, the story is kind of like this... One day at the local field, I was getting set to fly my Oculus, but wanted to make a radio adjustment. I had already stepped up to the winch line, and my pal handed me the ring. I wanst exactly ready, and didnt want to delay anybody, so I closed my programs (so I thought) on my transmitter, and tried to grab the ring while fumbling around with the plane and the transmitter.... I knew I heard an unaccounted Beep from the transmitter, but everything looked in order, and the elevator and rudder were working, so I hooked her up and fired her off. It was a very nice launch, a little flat, so I bumped the elevator for some "up" and it was still flat, so I leaned on the elevator pretty hard, and the Oculus dove straight for the ground....Bummer, obviously the elevator was reversed (this plane has a fair amount of miles on her- this was no maiden), so I laid off the pedal and tried to get the plane to the ground without damage. Well I tried. With no room to negotiate, I landed the plane inverted, at a low speed. Each outboard tip panel had damage, and the fuse had minor split in the seam on the boom. I consider myself lucky. Center section- no problem, outer panels-no problemo. I have rebuilt the 2 tip panels, and will recover...I am positive it will be as good or better than new ( Merrill nagged me about putting in shear webs on the outer panels....whatever.) and look forward to the next contest in 2 weeks.
So the lesson for today...check to make sure up is up and left is left, BEFORE it goes on the hook!!!

Here are the 3 panels pretty much ready for recovering.

Thanks again to Merrill, sorry about testing its durability, but now you know she can take a hit.

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
I did a bit of work on the E-Oculus today. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23400489

Clarence
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:58 PM
andrew wallace
coleraine ,northern ireland
Joined Mar 2007
56 Posts
hey Merrill
would you do a white e-fuselage with just a tailplane and rudder and i could use the wing from my #28 model
andrew wallace is offline Find More Posts by andrew wallace
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew wallace View Post
hey Merrill
would you do a white e-fuselage with just a tailplane and rudder and i could use the wing from my #28 model
Andrew I do sell the E-fuse separately for $150 + shipping.
It comes with Motor mount, Rudder and all the Hardware.

Note: If someone wants a combo kit they are available now.
It come as a glider kit with a Glider fuse and a E-fuse in the same box.
The two fuse combo kit is $575 + shipping.
If you want a extra elevator kit they are $45

Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr B....; Dec 02, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:12 PM
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
Finally start covering #4 with Trans Blue and White. Hope to get it done soon and ready for test flight before the big show. If everything goes well it will be in the static display at the AMA show.

Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:01 PM
andrew wallace
coleraine ,northern ireland
Joined Mar 2007
56 Posts
An up date from Ireland
i have all the carbon stripping all done man that is sore on the finger tips, i have the reinforcing banage on the centre section the control horn added to the rudder i have ordered the covering from a model shop in mainland England and i'm still waiting on the transparent green arriving would have been quicker ordering it from the states
fingers crossed it comes soon
hoping to add the servo's soon and the tow hook
andrew wallace is offline Find More Posts by andrew wallace
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:52 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew wallace View Post
An up date from Ireland
i have all the carbon stripping all done man that is sore on the finger tips,
Hi Andrew

I can't recall if I mentioned that I used a Popsicle stick for working down the carbon. 2 benefits of the stick first by laying it across the ribs and using it as a rub down tool it helps to keep the carbon flat with the wing and # 2 it saves the fingers from the bite of the carbon .

Clarence
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,830 Posts
Oculus retakes the skies! The minor rebuild, and the minor updating (I shearwebbed the outer panels) paid dividends today at a local field. I took the Oculus out and gave it a hand toss, and all looked well, so I gave it a firm bungee launch, about 5 minutes later I decided to land and take a pinch out of the nose. Rebungeed, and flew for about 15 minutes, lift abundant, plane flying perfect. Flying Oculus in a contest tomorrow, wish me luck. Will report.

WD
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:21 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethermal View Post
Well the holiday season has slowed me down on projects and today I had a bit of time to work on the E-Oculus I am going with a geared (aprox) 600 brushless from Cermark with a gearing of 4.3 to 1 this is it http://www.cermark.com/products/Cerm...-Gear-box.html

I started testing with a 15x8 prop and it would pull 75 amps and give all kinds of thrust, that was too many amps for where I wanted to be so I got a 13x8 prop and it brought the amps down to 40 and it brought the RPMs up by 7000 so it will be a rocket and with a 1300 mah 3s lipo I can get 3, 30 second runs out of the battery so I should be set.

Clarence
Clarence,
Do you have any info on that motor's weight and physical size? I don't see it on the website.
Skye
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,830 Posts
All went well at the contest. Only one other res plane, so I flew my xplorer for the contest. I did fly the Oculus after the contest, using the winch and I pushed it pretty hard up the line and the wing has much less flex than previous, meaning the additional shear webbing was a good call. A good firm covering job probably didnt hurt, either.... Next weekend is a good contest with many a bent wing, so i will report after that episode. Maybe joined by Merrill as well.

WD
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:35 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070 View Post
Clarence,
Do you have any info on that motor's weight and physical size? I don't see it on the website.
Skye
Give me a few days and I will measure the motor and get back to you. work is keeping me very busy right now.

Clarence
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:16 PM
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,607 Posts
The #4 Oculus is almost done. Just need to button up a few things and she will be ready to fly in a few weeks. Do to the fact that this will be a turn key plane ready to fly I had to to add this inside.

Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr B....; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM.