HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
Wing weight

Target
Actually, I'm one of those "over builder" types - little extra reinforcement here and there - which is why I was asking about weight. for example I added very thin webbing in front of the carbon trailing edge to reinforce the rib-carbon connection. It will not affect the airfoil or the thin profile of the trailing edge carbon, but just provides that extra element of sturdiness (carry over from furniture building LOL). So your thoughts and Clarence's seem to be right up my alley. And I agree with you on the Park-lite covering - just not worth the fragility! I tried it once and did not like it much at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Tim-

I would wonder how you'd lighten the panel after its built, anyway!?

If anything, keep the tips of the wing light, and you will be better off. The center of the plane is a good place to have strength and weight in the airplane, IMO....

My Oculus coame in at 62-63oz with shear webs added to the main tip panels, and covered entirely in UltraKote Lite (no ParkLite used on my plane). The difference in weigt according to the website was very little, and I hate repairing covering, so a little more weight I figured was worth some puncture resistance.

I winched my Oculus with a busted wing and fuse at Sacramento to win the RES class.
Don't make your wing "light"....

R,
Target
NZ7C is offline Find More Posts by NZ7C
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
645 Posts
Speaking of covering, I've built maybe half a dozen balsa gliders over the years and mostly used Monokote. I have used Ultracote once but found it to be a little too stretchy compared to Monokote which is more of a taut, hard plastic feel to it which I think contributes to better torsional strength. Because Monokote sags less it seems like it makes a different airfoil closer to the shape of the ribs compared to the stretchier Ultracote.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this as it relates to covering the wing of the Occulus (which I'm about a week from starting, I need to finish up another plane on my bench right now).
-Skye
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:11 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
As far as the sags are concerned, the center and tip main panels have D-tube LE's, so there's no worry there, and the spar back is nearly straight on the S3021 that the O uses...
Not sure on the tensile strength, but I'm sure there are threads here in Thermal forum about MonoCote vs Ultracote...

The Euro's build with UltraCote/Orocover, and I would think if Monocote was better, they'd use it?!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye8070 View Post
Speaking of covering, I've built maybe half a dozen balsa gliders over the years and mostly used Monokote. I have used Ultracote once but found it to be a little too stretchy compared to Monokote which is more of a taut, hard plastic feel to it which I think contributes to better torsional strength. Because Monokote sags less it seems like it makes a different airfoil closer to the shape of the ribs compared to the stretchier Ultracote.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this as it relates to covering the wing of the Occulus (which I'm about a week from starting, I need to finish up another plane on my bench right now).
-Skye
Do to the lightness of the construction of the Oculus Monokote will deform the parts. Monokote takes a higher heat to shrink it. Ultrakote is what I use with park light white on the tips. It just works the best for this style of wing construction. Don't forget the balsarite over the carbon. You cover it like a foam wing, tac down the edges and ends then shrink both side evenly.

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,614 Posts
E-Oculus being worked on this week end! Test flight Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
E-Oculus

Yes! Want to hear all details on power train, battery, drain, seconds to reach altitude etc!!!!!! Looking forward to hearing first test results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B.... View Post
E-Oculus being worked on this week end! Test flight Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Merrill
NZ7C is offline Find More Posts by NZ7C
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:12 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
My Oculus lives. Re-maiden Sunday.
FYI, my covered wing with servos and plug weighs 33.5oz.

R,
Target
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
645 Posts
Quote:
Do to the lightness of the construction of the Oculus Monokote will deform the parts. Monokote takes a higher heat to shrink it. Ultrakote is what I use with park light white on the tips. It just works the best for this style of wing construction. Don't forget the balsarite over the carbon. You cover it like a foam wing, tac down the edges and ends then shrink both side evenly.

Merrill
Oh man, I hadn't thought about those points Merrill. I'll stick with what you recommend.
Skye
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,614 Posts
E-Oculus Flies!

Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
USA, CA, Seal Beach
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
That red fuse looks sweet!!!
lblife is online now Find More Posts by lblife
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
M-
Congrats on the days (non) events.
I believe that you may be over propped as evidenced by the sag after a few seconds of full throttle on the ground...
You are welcome to my Watt-meter; had I known you didn't have one, I would have brought it today....

Congrats!
R,
Target
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:57 PM
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,614 Posts
Target you did a great job on that repair!

E-Oculus flight report! Post #5 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=5

Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:36 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
Quote:
Target you did a great job on that repair!

E-Oculus flight report! Post #5 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=5

Merrill
Thanks, Merrill and again congrats on the success of "Big Red" today.
R,
target
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,448 Posts
Hey, wait a minute. That looks like our top-secret flying location. So what's up with the E-flying?

Tom
PS E-Oculus looks sinister!

Quote:
E-Oculus Flies!
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:50 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
If you wanted to play POLICEMAN, you shoulda been there!

R,
Target